• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Since someone smells the Nv40...

creedAMD

2[H]4U
Joined
May 29, 2000
Messages
3,861
Any chance you might have sniffed a little 420 action as well? Which scent is stronger? :)
 
Given the fact that the R420 is lauching on the 26th, don't think you're going to find out soon unless ATI lifts the NDA early.
 
Supposedly the X800 is slower than nVidia's offering, but not by a huge amount. There will be at least three variants of the R420/R423 (AGP/PCI-E) core: X800 XT (16 pipelines), X800 Pro (12), X800 SE (8). I suspect the XT will challenge the 6800 Ultra, the Pro will challenge the 6800, and the SE is made for the budget enthusiast. I'm personally waiting for the XT and already have money piling up in my video card account; I expect it may be $500. Will also need a new PSU...going to get the Tt 480W butterfly which is an absolute steal for $76 at NewEgg. It's PFC active, has 2xSATA and 8xMolex connectors, looks good, has a polished rheobus, and comes with a tunnel exhaust fan. Works for me.

The variants of the X800 might make for some interesting mods down the road, and ATi will no doubt take advantage of the fact that all of the cards use the same core. Should be an interesting contest.

Oh, and for how it smells...probably like heaven. New card smell rules. :D
 
I always tell myself i am going to wait. I just cant resist . Resistance is futile.


I got my PC Cooling and Power turbo 425 deluxe this morning and soon, perhaps an x-800 XT or perhpaps even a 6800 ultra.

It is going to be an interesting 2nd quarter.
 
Originally posted by Maxx
Supposedly the X800 is slower than nVidia's offering, but not by a huge amount. There will be at least three variants of the R420/R423 (AGP/PCI-E) core: X800 XT (16 pipelines), X800 Pro (12), X800 SE (8). I suspect the XT will challenge the 6800 Ultra, the Pro will challenge the 6800, and the SE is made for the budget enthusiast.

As I've said on other threads, never rely on Anand for video card scoop. They are usually wrong and full of shit.

That aside... the Pro will be a 16 pipe card, plain and simple.

As to performance, I haven't seen benches between the two, so I'll believe the performance rumors when I see it.

Since ATI is launching 2 weeks after nVIDIA, they can play around with the clocks a bit before the cards hit the streets. Same thing has happened previous launches where the retail cards had faster clocks than what was announced.

The other question which will get answered soon, hopefully Brent/Kyle will answer it in their review... is what is the true layout of the NV40. Is it a hybrid ala NV30/35 or a true 16 pipe design.
 
Originally posted by tazdevl


Since ATI is launching 2 weeks after nVIDIA, they can play around with the clocks a bit before the cards hit the streets. Same thing has happened previous launches where the retail cards had faster clocks than what was announced.


I dont think 2 weeks is long enough for ATI to do much in. Its just no enough time to carry out modifications to the design etc, implement them and then get the 3rd party guys to do the same. Production runs are distribution times are longer than you think.
 
Since most people just don't understand this, 2 weeks isn't enough time to toss an extra CD in all the boxes, much less reflash all the BIOS'. Production on cards starts much earlier than 2 weeks before shipment.
 
I love ATI , but for some reason I'm hoping Nvidia puts out a card to take back the crown. I'm getting a little sick of my damn sig , though it still makes me laugh..(remember that statement was said about the 9700 PRO. Eh , 14 more days till ATI drops thier new card....can't wait..that and I turn 21 the same day so I doubt I'll be sober enough to read any reviews :(
 
I dont think they need to flash the BIOS'es anymore.

The software drivers could just look for a board identifier somewhere and clock the core and up the voltages based on software.
 
Originally posted by akanafene

Still, it makes sense to wait another few months to get PCI Express edition for just $15 more. [/B]

actually it'll cost you more than $15 to upgrade your system just to be PCI express compliant.
 
Screw PCI-E. I am not looking to having to upgrade almost my entire system for a video bandwidth upgrade. I'll probably buy an AGP NV40 (assuming it is good) and hold out as long as I can with my 2.8GHz P4.
 
shit if the nv40 is only 300 bucks im gonna save up for that deal, even if it is a tad slower than the ati :O
 
Originally posted by obs
Screw PCI-E. I am not looking to having to upgrade almost my entire system for a video bandwidth upgrade. I'll probably buy an AGP NV40 (assuming it is good) and hold out as long as I can with my 2.8GHz P4.

I agree, like Brent said earlier, we aren't even using Agp 8x to it's extent yet. I will wait until there is a huge jump in technology in motherboards before I lose this nf2.
 
Originally posted by obs
Screw PCI-E. I am not looking to having to upgrade almost my entire system for a video bandwidth upgrade. I'll probably buy an AGP NV40 (assuming it is good) and hold out as long as I can with my 2.8GHz P4.

im with you brother :)
 
I lvoe my newly conversion to ATI, my 200 dollar 9800pro it great, expecially since the fucked up and sent me a 256card. But i really dont like there drivers and afraid im still loyal to NVIDIA, i hope it kicks ass! but, i have my douts as i have finally seen first hand what ATI can do with a core......me want NV driver guys to join up with ATI.... hehehe
 
As for the pipelines and other things people mentioned...just check the front page today and you will see I was correct.

As for AGP still not being fully utilized, this is true...but also misleading. PCI-E has advantages in things other than bandwidth, such as latency and dual-lane efficiency improvements. It also can handle a lot more power than an AGP slot and can be utilized in a dual-slot configuration for even more power. All four of these advantages will work together especially after Longhorn is released with DX10, as DX10 will use a virtual VRAM system that will start demanding better bandwidth and communication efficiency. And that's just from the video card aspect. The biggest improvements will be in overall system design, since a good deal of a PC's components flow through the now-limiting PCI bus (133 MB/s), including IDE and SATA. Gigabit ethernet will be much better and all of your peripheral devices will work better as well.
 
I hope the NV40 rocks the socks off ATi... now i love ATi even since the Radeon.... but... i still miss the days of my GF2 GTS, and GF3... it seemed like it ram graphics "smoother"

well whatever... we will see wont we...


I just hope its not .....

Prescott is to Northwood
as
NV40 is to NV35

if you catch my drift
 
Originally posted by Maxx
As for the pipelines and other things people mentioned...just check the front page today and you will see I was correct.

As for AGP still not being fully utilized, this is true...but also misleading. PCI-E has advantages in things other than bandwidth, such as latency and dual-lane efficiency improvements. It also can handle a lot more power than an AGP slot and can be utilized in a dual-slot configuration for even more power. All four of these advantages will work together especially after Longhorn is released with DX10, as DX10 will use a virtual VRAM system that will start demanding better bandwidth and communication efficiency. And that's just from the video card aspect. The biggest improvements will be in overall system design, since a good deal of a PC's components flow through the now-limiting PCI bus (133 MB/s), including IDE and SATA. Gigabit ethernet will be much better and all of your peripheral devices will work better as well.

You mention Longhorn in your post, that OS doesn't come out until 2005. If that that holds true, most likely another revision will be out from ATI and Nvidia. Hell who knows we could all be using linux by then ha-ha
 
I'm just fresh off my 9800pro upgrade, heck if I'm going to any of the new cards.

I dunno, I think based of information now, Nvidia wins the grfx wars this round. I think NV learned their mistakes from NV30...hyped up crap.

Anywho, long live ATi and Nvidia, cheaper/better cards for US FOLK!
 
Originally posted by war_child
You mention Longhorn in your post, that OS doesn't come out until 2005. If that that holds true, most likely another revision will be out from ATI and Nvidia. Hell who knows we could all be using linux by then ha-ha

I never supposed otherwise, in fact I implied that...since we would need DX10 cards to take advantage of it fully. :D

But PCI-E is going to be around a while. Take a look at how long ISA and then PCI was around. They can't change to a new system too often. Hence my point is, you will have to go PCI-E sooner or later to reap the benefits.
 
Originally posted by Maxx
I never supposed otherwise, in fact I implied that...since we would need DX10 cards to take advantage of it fully. :D

But PCI-E is going to be around a while. Take a look at how long ISA and then PCI was around. They can't change to a new system too often. Hence my point is, you will have to go PCI-E sooner or later to reap the benefits.

You will reap the benefits if you leave it a generation or two, there will be bugs in the first batch of hardware, there always are...i will run my current system for a while to come yet until i see some solid performance gains and deem it "essential" to upgrade.
 
I'm pretty sure Longhorn has been pushed to 2006 with a beta in 2005.
 
[thinks to self]Thats funny, i allready have a copy of longhorn...installed and running on a secound raid array. ..[/thinks to self]

Did i say that out loud?


[hopes] no i didnt [/hopes]
 
Originally posted by I(illa Bee
[thinks to self]Thats funny, i allready have a copy of longhorn...installed and running on a secound raid array. ..[/thinks to self]

Did i say that out loud?


[hopes] no i didnt [/hopes]


ROFL. You really think you are special don't you? I am sure everyone is jealous that you have a pre-beta version of the OS. I am sure it is fully supported and magnificantly full featured and stable, and jam packed with all the features MS plans for the OS already implemented and working 100%. Microsoft is just waiting another 1.5 years to release it to the rest of us peons right? pfft
 
Well honestly longhorn is just the NT kernel taken from server 2003 (or xp) and upgraded, so... it's a newly upgraded NT kernel + a few new features... so yea.

~Adam
 
Originally posted by CleanSlate
Well honestly longhorn is just the NT kernel taken from server 2003 (or xp) and upgraded, so... it's a newly upgraded NT kernel + a few new features... so yea.

~Adam

That is a rediculous statement. I suppose you think Windows 2000 is just Windows NT 4.0 with a few new features? Every successive OS since NT ( 2000, XP, 2003 ) is obvisouly built off the NT kernel, but to say its "simply upgraded" is retarded. So yea. Longhorn is actually a major overhaul.
 
Originally posted by eci
ROFL. You really think you are special don't you? I am sure everyone is jealous that you have a pre-beta version of the OS. I am sure it is fully supported and magnificantly full featured and stable, and jam packed with all the features MS plans for the OS already implemented and working 100%. Microsoft is just waiting another 1.5 years to release it to the rest of us peons right? pfft

8 posts in and being and "A" hole, that isnt good pratice around here ya know...

And besides, did i say it was working? Did i say i play games on it? Did i say "la de da i so "F"ing cool, im useing tools in the new windows that arnt out yet..."

Ohh yea, i paid for too boot, right from a booth at a market in tiwian for 5 bucks...i even got a receipt
 
Well yea it's an overhaul of a sorts but I consider that a simple upgrade since it's supposed to be a new OS. And I highly doubt they'd give up most of the windows xp or sk way of doing things just to make a new OS.. I'd bet nearly half if not more is just xp code updated to run with other longhorn stuff. It's just an upgrade.

~Adam
 
Originally posted by CleanSlate
Well yea it's an overhaul of a sorts but I consider that a simple upgrade since it's supposed to be a new OS. And I highly doubt they'd give up most of the windows xp or sk way of doing things just to make a new OS.. I'd bet nearly half if not more is just xp code updated to run with other longhorn stuff. It's just an upgrade.

~Adam

since i can run it, ill bet it it is too...hahahaha...
 
Back
Top