Since SB production is halted...

evilpanda

n00b
I currently have a dual core E6850 overclocked to 3.4Ghz, 4 gigs of RAM and XFX Radeon 5850. I heard that BFBC2 is very CPU dependant but now that Sandy Bridge production has been halted, I've been wondering if buying a second 5850 will help frame rates in BFBC2 (I game at 1920x1200 and average fps are somewhat low) better than upgrade my CPU to the new 2500k or 2600k.

I also understand that I need a new PSU, probably a good quality 650w.

Thanks for your help!

hmm, . I am not too sure , but I am in a similier situation as you.

I run the 2.8 Ghz version of the same CPU (not over clocked though) and a 6970 video card. I am in need of a new CPU, but am at a loss of what to get.

They where/are/ great little CPUS, but the tech has really taken a step forward.

BDBC2 does feel "sluggish" to me, thogh I don't know how to turn on a FPS meter, to give any numbers.

I game with it in eye finity accross 3 X 24 inch monitors.

Quad will improve your framerates. The 5850 is a capable card.

I actually played for a bit online last night with a 5750 @ 825/1250 and my 2600K @5.3GHZ and it was actually very smooth. A lot of smoke would slow it down a bit...

The 5850 is plenty if you arent playing at crazy res with 8X AA.

The game seems more CPU dependant than GPU.

This was all settings on high 1xMSAA and HBAO off Anisotropic @ 4x. 1680x 1050

I was actually quite impressed with the little 5750.

Upgrade to a $100-150 cpu and call it a day lol.
Manufacturers are supposed to be shipping mobos again now (with special warranties or SATA cards).

i'll mimic others in this thread - focus your efforts on your CPU. the 5850 is a strong card, you'll get he most gain from a new processor. when i upgraded to my i5-2500K BC2 (and Black Ops as well) came alive.

Yeah you're better off dropping in a quad for now. especially with that game. look for a q9400 or 9550 for a bill+ on the forums or fleebay.

if you add another gpu you will only be able to get 20% out of it with that cpu in that game.

if you get a new cpu like SB you will be wondering if you're running two 5850's with just a single 5850 in that game.

Thanks for the replies. I won't buy an older generation quad core just for 2 months so I'll just wait until Sandy Bridge motherboards are being sold again.

I'm kinda in the same boat.

But I think I will wait for my tax return and just do a complete upgrade or maybe wait for bulldozer to come out.

One or the other I definitely plan to upgrade for BF3

I currently have a dual core E6850 overclocked to 3.4Ghz, 4 gigs of RAM and XFX Radeon 5850. I heard that BFBC2 is very CPU dependant but now that Sandy Bridge production has been halted, I've been wondering if buying a second 5850 will help frame rates in BFBC2 (I game at 1920x1200 and average fps are somewhat low) better than upgrade my CPU to the new 2500k or 2600k.

I also understand that I need a new PSU, probably a good quality 650w.

Thanks for your help!

buy your motherboard from tiger direct, they will give you a free sata card. else just wait. all else OC that 5850

Just went from a core 2 duo to a 2600k and let me tell you Bad company is much mroe snappier game and I was able to up my AA a bit as well.

^^A 2 day old account shilling faulty hardware. Why am I not surprised about this.

^^A 2 day old account shilling faulty hardware. Why am I not surprised about this.

Because an issue affecting sata2 ports (under certain conditions) has a lot to do with upgrading to a much faster cpu and seeing an improvement in BC2, right? :rolleyes:

Back