Simulated Sine Wave vs Pure Sine Wave - Worth the upgrade for a consumer power supply?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by bigblueshock, Jun 10, 2019.

1. bigblueshock

bigblueshock [H]Lite

Just wondering on peoples takes with Simulated vs Pure Sine Wave UPS's. Currently my home server has a Pure Sine Wave UPS (Cyberpower in particular), however my Gaming PC has a Simulated Sine Wave (APC) Battery Backup.

I'm contemplating changing out/upgrading the APC and getting another Cyberpower pure sine wave, but I'm 50/50 on spending the money, or if it's even necessary.

I haven't had any problems with my APC, at least I don't think. However, when my power glitches or goes out, am I hurting my Power Supply by not having a pure sine wave?

Should a higher end consumer power supply be able to handle simulated sine wave without issues?

Basically, I'm unsure of what consumer grade power supplies "should" be able to handle. For instance, my Gaming PC on the simulated UPS is a Corsair HX1050.

Thoughts?

2. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

If your PSU handles switching to battery power ok, there is no need to change your UPS and you're not hurting it.

bigblueshock and Brian_B like this.
  3. JRZoid

JRZoid [H]Lite

For testing mostly..manage to have a unit that can read/display any of that correctly and not burning up doing so.

Something suspected in whatever unit...yeah that shows up on the wave dude...and that's mostly WALL/Low frequency oscillation/BAD.

bigblueshock likes this.
  4. pitingres

pitingres [H]Lite

If you're driving a computer with the UPS, I wouldn't worry about the waveform unless your PSU is crap. (Which the HX certainly is not.) You might get a little buzzing noise from the PSU while it's on battery, or not.

N4CR and bigblueshock like this.
  5. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Spend that cash on a new SSD or spinner for backups.

bigblueshock likes this.
  6. bigblueshock

bigblueshock [H]Lite

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. I was leaning towards that way.

7. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Have run sim for PC and critical entertainment applications without issue. As already said, a decent PSU won't mind either way.

You might get noise from the UPS on battery though keep that in mind. Some can be pretty loud, plus cheaper ones can also make noise on AC.

bigblueshock and drescherjm like this.