Simply cannot get audio to work.

Skelaton4

Limp Gawd
I recently bought an Abit IG 80 Motherboard to an old build. I install a fresh windows xp and

everything seemed to be going fine, until i realized that I had no sound. I downloaded the

drivers for it... Still nothing.. I have checked all the connections... Nothing. I am not sure

what else to do. Any advice?

as stated before:

how are things connected?

did you download and install drivers from Abit's website?

what are you connecting to the board?
- headphones
- speakers
- receiver
- DAC

basically give some more information

and I'd be happy to help

you, in solving this problem

Uh, what?

I'd say you really need to provide more information to help people trying to diagnose your problem. All we know is your MB, we know absolutely nothing about what you're trying to connect it to, or how you're connecting it. Presumably you're connecting it to the same thing and the same method that you were using previously (which presumably worked?) but still... With the current amount of info I don't really see how anyone could say anything other than "well, maybe you got a bad mobo."

Basically, I have hooked my computer to my sub woofer that connects to the speakers. I have tried every connections for audio thats on my motherboard. I have hook up with set up many times no issues. My computer says that the audio codecs are installed and running correctly yet I get no sound... No idea whats up

yes driver from abits website is installed

Last edited:
Basically, I have hooked my computer to my sub woofer that connects to the speakers. I have tried every connections for audio thats on my motherboard. I have hook up with set up many times no issues. My computer says that the audio codecs are installed and running correctly yet I get no sound... No idea whats up

yes driver from abits website is installed

for the fourth time:

how are things connected

piece by piece, you need to explain how you've connected things

why do I get the feeling that you've got something like this hooked up:

Computer Audio Digital Out -> Sub Line In -> Sub High Level Terminals Out -> Speakers

It goes Computer->sub woofer-> speakers

but no matter how many different combos i try i get nothing? I have no idea why it wont just work.

It goes Computer->sub woofer-> speakers

but no matter how many different combos i try i get nothing? I have no idea why it wont just work.

you aren't explaining how things are connected

so again, for the fifth time

explain.
your.
connections.

if its how I described it, that CAN NOT WORK EVER, a normal subwoofer (As in: not a computer speaker system) does not have speaker amplifiers in it, those terminals say "high level output" for a reason (and theres "high level INPUT" for a reason too)

Here it goes, 6th times the charm

I have a computer speakers system that contains a subwolfer and 4 speakers that connect to it. I connect the Wolfer to the pc audio on the back on my board. I then connect the Speakers to the back of the subwolfers. This, in the past has been hassle free. I have the driver installed I have the Ac97 program picking up my audio connection yet i hear no sound. I have even checked the bios to see if it was disabled for some reason.. Not the case.

Hope this what you wanted. I appreciate your help.

Make sure sound isn't muted or that you have the wrong sound device selected in windows.

The other thing to do is make sure you're plugging the speakers into the right output from the motherboard. Some onboard audios will let you plug it in wherever you want as long as it's an audio plug, but most soundcards are more picky and require you to plug it into a specific audio port. Make sure you've plugged it into the front out and not something weird like the sub out or the mic input by accident.

Here it goes, 6th times the charm

I have a computer speakers system that contains a subwolfer and 4 speakers that connect to it. I connect the Wolfer to the pc audio on the back on my board. I then connect the Speakers to the back of the subwolfers. This, in the past has been hassle free. I have the driver installed I have the Ac97 program picking up my audio connection yet i hear no sound. I have even checked the bios to see if it was disabled for some reason.. Not the case.

Hope this what you wanted. I appreciate your help.

*sigh*

so you've got analog 6ch connections to the PC via 3xTRS? or digital via S/PDIF? if this is a PC system, what model (save us all some hastle, eh? and why wasn't this in the first post? (why is this information so secret, jesus, its not like we haven't asked since response #1))

and its woofer ;)

This isnt like an elaborate *woofler* it was like 20 bucks. Just your standard speakers. Also regular computer speakers and producing anything ether.

My model, Well its a custom build abit ig 80, Intel 2.8 ghz P4. Not sure if it is S/PDIF os TRS but i am guessing it is the Most standard of any speakers.

I am sorry I am not understanding what other information I can give. I hardly know anything about Sound systems..

This isnt like an elaborate *woofler* it was like 20 bucks. Just your standard speakers. Also regular computer speakers and producing anything ether.

My model, Well its a custom build abit ig 80, Intel 2.8 ghz P4. Not sure if it is S/PDIF os TRS but i am guessing it is the Most standard of any speakers.

I am sorry I am not understanding what other information I can give. I hardly know anything about Sound systems..

model of speaker system

and how its connected

for the

9th time

please
this thread really doesn't need to be four pages just for us to get to "what equipment do you have" and "how is it connected"

Make sure sound isn't muted or that you have the wrong sound device selected in windows.

The other thing to do is make sure you're plugging the speakers into the right output from the motherboard. Some onboard audios will let you plug it in wherever you want as long as it's an audio plug, but most soundcards are more picky and require you to plug it into a specific audio port. Make sure you've plugged it into the front out and not something weird like the sub out or the mic input by accident.

God, did you do that yet? Please actually try the things we suggest and let us know whether or not it worked before making new posts. It makes it impossible for us to effectively help you if you don't tell us what does/doesn't work.

Also are you trying to plug this into the rear or front of your case. If it's the front, there may be no FP audio header connected or present so you'd have to plug it into the back of the computer if that were the situation.

But you make it very hard for us to help you since you aren't very descriptive or responsive to our suggestions or requests for more information.

You know, if this is a used motherboard (I assumed from your broken speech), you might have a broken audio jack. You never know what sort of torture the previous owner subjected it to.

The good thing is, you can add a new soundcard for $20-30.

I would suggest you verify that your speakers work by plugging a portable music player into them (that would silence all your critics here). If they work, then you should hear audio when you plug them into the GREEN audio out port on your motherboard. IF that doesn't work, the jack is probably loose, and unless you can use a soldering iron proficiently, you're probably better-off with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118107

Thank you, I tested the out with my Ipod headphones, no sound. Must be a dud. oh well I suppose I will just purchase a new one. Btw my speakers are just generic GM model of speakers.
You know, if this is a used motherboard (I assumed from your broken speech), you might have a broken audio jack. You never know what sort of torture the previous owner subjected it to.

The good thing is, you can add a new soundcard for $20-30.

I would suggest you verify that your speakers work by plugging a portable music player into them (that would silence all your critics here). If they work, then you should hear audio when you plug them into the GREEN audio out port on your motherboard. IF that doesn't work, the jack is probably loose, and unless you can use a soldering iron proficiently, you're probably better-off with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118107

Back