• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Simple questions about displays

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,853
I have been wandering about some tiny things lately.

I understand monitors, their resolution, viewing angles, contrast, brightness, dot pitch...etc But there are little issues going on in my brain. LCD's are now being used for TV's. Can I say that TV screens nowadays are just lower quality PC monitors? For example, they always come as TN panel? Or is it like high end TV screens can also be used as PC monitors no problems whatsoever?

One other way to ask this is: are TV and PC screens interchangeable perfectly properly?? This can't be true I guess. In electronic shops, you will always see a section for pc monitors and another for TV screens.

Also, you will see screens claiming that they are HD capable. Now, what does that really mean. There are monitors with really high resolutions but they still doesn't support HD. I'm kinda of lost here.

What kind of quality will I lost if I view HD content using a non HD monitor?


Thanks.
 
One other way to ask this is: are TV and PC screens interchangeable perfectly properly?? This can't be true I guess. In electronic shops, you will always see a section for pc monitors and another for TV screens.

Yeah. Manufacturers use the same process to build both panels. The separate section is because they'll differ in having speakers, tv tuners, types of input (hdmi, vga, displayport, composite, s-video), sizing, etc...

It use to be different because monitors were 16:10 and tv 16:9, but now its all the same to cut costs.
 
I have been wandering about some tiny things lately.

I understand monitors, their resolution, viewing angles, contrast, brightness, dot pitch...etc But there are little issues going on in my brain. LCD's are now being used for TV's. Can I say that TV screens nowadays are just lower quality PC monitors? For example, they always come as TN panel? Or is it like high end TV screens can also be used as PC monitors no problems whatsoever?

One other way to ask this is: are TV and PC screens interchangeable perfectly properly?? This can't be true I guess. In electronic shops, you will always see a section for pc monitors and another for TV screens.

Also, you will see screens claiming that they are HD capable. Now, what does that really mean. There are monitors with really high resolutions but they still doesn't support HD. I'm kinda of lost here.

What kind of quality will I lost if I view HD content using a non HD monitor?


Thanks.
High definition "HD" simply means any video resolution 1280x720 or higher. Nothing more, nothing less, so don't let all of that marketing jargon confuse you (i'm ignoring video bit-rates for simplicity's sake). So obviously this means any monitor is "HD" because it has enough pixels to display HD video.

As for panel types, 32" is the safe size because they haven't made any TN panels that big, which means anything 32" or larger will always use a VA variant or IPS panel. Go below 32" and it'll be mixed bag of all 3 panel types including TN.

TV's can be used as monitors, but TV's tend to have extra processing that clean up video, but slow down PC related tasks especially gaming (more input lag on average and sometimes slightly slower pixel response times).

Hope that helps, are there any other aspects you're curious about?
 
Yeah. Manufacturers use the same process to build both panels. The separate section is because they'll differ in having speakers, tv tuners, types of input (hdmi, vga, displayport, composite, s-video), sizing, etc...

It use to be different because monitors were 16:10 and tv 16:9, but now its all the same to cut costs.

High definition "HD" simply means any video resolution 1280x720 or higher. Nothing more, nothing less, so don't let all of that marketing jargon confuse you (i'm ignoring video bit-rates for simplicity's sake). So obviously this means any monitor is "HD" because it has enough pixels to display HD video.

As for panel types, 32" is the safe size because they haven't made any TN panels that big, which means anything 32" or larger will always use a VA variant or IPS panel. Go below 32" and it'll be mixed bag of all 3 panel types including TN.

TV's can be used as monitors, but TV's tend to have extra processing that clean up video, but slow down PC related tasks especially gaming (more input lag on average and sometimes slightly slower pixel response times).

Hope that helps, are there any other aspects you're curious about?

Makes sense now. It is all clear now. You guys are great. Thanks.
 
Back
Top