Simple Question

movax

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
3,679
Ok, so right now I have a good ol' 19" Dell P990 CRT, served me well. Thinking of going the LCD route in the future, and I'm thinking of getting something similar to the Westinghouse LCDs that can do 1080p, or the Dells that do 16xx x 1080, or whatever the res is. Question is though...say I got myself a shiny new 7900GT, and wanted to play Oblivion with all the eye candy maxed, which IIRC, the 7900 series handles at 1280x something. Does the LCD scale this image down (as in, it'll be in the center of screen with oogly black border around it), or does it automagically handle it like a CRT, and no borders result. I hope the question is clear enough to understand. :D
 
yep , most monitors/lcds that you are talking about run at the resolution of 1368 x 766. i know a guy who has a 7900 gtx and has a westinghouse that is 32" big and he loves it. He plays cs s and all other games maxed out. I think the monitor would automatically make the image smaller.
 
It depends on how you set it up, sometimes it goes smaller, sometimes you can change it in the games .ini file to adjust it automatically. Personally I haven't had a game that didn't adust itself but I don't have a widescreen either.
 
No no, not the game, I know most have an .ini or widescreen patch...I meant, say the said 7900 could only handle games in the future at 1024x768 or 800x600...will my LCD still display the image over the entire screen area, or would it be a 800x600 frame centered in the LCD (e.g. black borders on all sides).
 
configurable in most LCDs.
Because the pixels in an LCD are fixed, as opposed to the "wherever they spray um" of a CRT, you can scale it to fit the LCD, or center the image at 1:1. Scaling reduces image quality, 1:1 makes it smaller. Your choice (sometimes)
 
With the dells all you have to do is go onto the OSD and change it fomr 1:1, Aspect, or fit and you'll get the desired setting, (1:1 is the size in pixels on the screen with the black boxes around it) (aspect scales it perportionally) and fit just stretches it to fit the screen distorting whatever you have
 
I would say that it depends on the LCD - of course even on ones that might be able to display such a resolution in full screen mode it will not be in its native resolution - which will lead to quality loss that could be severe

and of course as mentioned many LCD's would have to stretch the image artifically to display it as full screen (think of it as taking a regular image and wanting to stretch it to fit a wider screen without leaving any black stripes to compensate for aspect ratio)
 
Hmm, ok...because I was thinking that if I got a 1080p capable LCD, few if any modern games would be able to run at that res w/ eye candy, AF, AA etc, but those LCDs usually scale to 480p and 720p anyways, correct? Hopefully with little loss in quality.
 
Back
Top