• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Simple Question(s)

Seep

n00b
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
37
I have an old set of Logitech 5.1s, and only use it for video watching, music and gaming, so I'm looking to replace them.

I've had my eye on the M-audio AV40s for quite a while, and I'm almost ready to make my decision, but just want a second opinion or two before I make the purchase.

Will those speakers suffice for my needs? I'll be within a metre or two from them at almost all times.

My knowledge of audio hardware is very low, so I'm not familiar with very many terms. Will I be able to add a sub later on to AV40s? What will any big steps (that I would not run into if using regular Logitech speakers) be if I decide to go with these speakers?
 
Last edited:
If the kind of videos/movies you're watching don't demand any high-impact bass response, you'll be fine. To add a sub later, you'll need something with stereo line ins and line outs. Many subs made these days have these outputs.
 
So I should just make sure the sub I buy later on has those outputs ("ports"?) and I'll be able to use the AV40s and whichever sub together?

If I just buy the AV40s and hook them up to my onboard (EX58-UD5), that's all I will need to do, right? I'm assuming it will come with the necessary cables. They are only analog, correct?

Basically I need a step by step guide on what I'd do to hook these up to my computer (just using onboard, but I plan to get a soundcard later, will there be many extra steps with a soundcard?). Some extra information on how to integrate a sub into this later would be appreciated.

Sorry for the noobish questions I know next to nothing about audio.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top