Simple question from a beginner

raistlin

n00b
I'm looking at getting a new linksys wireless router to replace my crap belkin router which has brought me down to tears with all the problems I've been having. My question is what is wireless-g? I'm reading around a lot and my impression so far is that wireless-g is better than other "forms" of wireless connections, but don't know exactly what the difference is. However, I am noticing that price differences for these different kinds of routers is not supporting that theory (from looking at NewEgg). Is there anyone that could explain this to me? I've honestly looked around in the FAQs and can't find anything.
Any router suggestions are greatly welcomed.

In the old days, there was wireless A and B. B caught on, A never really did.

In the not so far past, wireless G came out...same frequency as wireless B, so users with wireless B network cards could utilize wireless G access points/routers....just as slower wireless B speeds (a chain is always only as strong as the weakest link).

G is up to 54 megs, B is only up to 11 megs....usually not a factor since most people use wireless for internet, which is usually only 1.5, maybe 3.0...and a few lucky users above 5-6 megs....so the wireless usually isn't a bottleneck for that.

G supports better, more secure, and easier to setup security...WPA.

However, G is currently taking a backseat to the new darling child of the wireless world...MIMO, also known as Pre-N. Since it's not officially ratified as a standard YET...it's called "Pre-"N...but it will be official "N" soon, 99% sure Airgo's True-MIMO chipset will be the standard, so stick with Linksys SRX or Belkin Pre-N hardware of you get that.

IMO, anyone purchasing wireless gear these days should get a MIMO/Pre-N unit. They really do a fantastic job in getting that signal where it needs to go, far better than previous standards. And you don't NEED a Pre-N adapter to use that gain in range...any old G or B adapter will work just fine.

Thank you for the explanation. I think the linksys srx might be a little more than what I'm looking for. My main concern will be with the wired part of my network. It doesn't look like the srx supports wired and wireless simultaneously, is that right? Deffinitely out of my price range too. I am looking to spend not more than $70. But should I deffinitely get a router with wireless-g?

The SRX model does support both, as with most home market routers, it has a built in 4 port 10/100 switch.

But if it's above your price range, they also did come out with a more basic MIMO router, for not much above 100 bucks. And...if that's still above, yes the old WRT54G model is quite good, just make sure you have the latest firmware, the older version 3 firmware had issues with large file transfers.

You can pickup the new CISCO branded WRT54G at Wal-mart for $60. They are kick ass routers for the price, easy to setup and very stable and great wireless, you won't regret. I"d still be using one but I love my D-Link 4300 gaming router more and it has gigabit :D

However, DO NOT. repeat, DO NOT purchase the Speedbooster model, it is unreliable, unstable and never gets even close to advertised speeds and it pisses other WAP's in the area off, stay away from it.

OK. got the WRT54G. Now what 3rd party software would you recommend? I'm not worried about voiding the warranty, just want better firmware. Any suggestions?

Back