Simple psexec UI

sirusarai

n00b
Hello!

I am pretty new to coding and programming, but i am wanting to write my own app that will essentially become an interface for the PSEXEC command line tool.

I want to have check boxes and input fields for all the different switches and variables and be able to import a list of PCs for it to run on and be able to chose a file for it to run.

What programming language would be most suited for such a task?

My first thought was java, only because i know a very basic amount of it already and would maybe be easier to pick up fresh.

Thanks ahead for any input!!

Java or C#. If you are already kind of comfortable with Java, then I'd go with that, I don't know that there would be that much of a difference for such a small app.

Virtually any programming language can do the things you want. "Easiest" would depend on whatever you're familiar with. One caveat with Java is that it isn't natively supported in Windows and if you ever planned on distributing your application then you would have to deal with ensuring JRE is installed on client machines. Another caveat with Java is that it's easily decompiled. That's probably not an issue for your specific application, but it could be a concern down the road for other projects you get into.

Java is fine. If you're in tight control of the system running the application, then you can resolve any external product dependencies yourself; otherwise, installers can assist with deploying dependencies along with your application.

Another caveat with Java is that it's easily decompiled. That's probably not an issue for your specific application, but it could be a concern down the road for other projects you get into.
The capability of decompiling is worth noting, but the appropriate reasons for applying additional security measures (such as obfuscation, signing, etc.) have not been defined yet. What specific concern(s) with the OP's description motivated you to raise this point about Java?

Last edited:
Hello!

I am pretty new to coding and programming, but i am wanting to write my own app that will essentially become an interface for the PSEXEC command line tool.

I want to have check boxes and input fields for all the different switches and variables and be able to import a list of PCs for it to run on and be able to chose a file for it to run.

What programming language would be most suited for such a task?

My first thought was java, only because i know a very basic amount of it already and would maybe be easier to pick up fresh.

Thanks ahead for any input!!

If I understand correctly, you're just creating a GUI interface that builds command-line arguments that get passed to psexec.

Any programming language that can display a GUI and also call a system executable can handle this. Java's fine. You could also use C# (very close to Java) and build a WinForms application.

Last edited:
Back