• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Simple processor swap...

deff

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 20, 2008
Messages
2,512
Potential newb question below:

I'm planning on purchasing a i7 870 to replace my i5 750. I should be alright with doing the swap without having to reinstall Win 7, correct? I've only done this on a Linux box which was pretty straight forward.
 
The processor swap should not require any type of reinstall. I also do not believe it will cause a need to reactivate.
 
I have done the same thing on a few machines with no problems at all. The only thing you will want to do is after you boot up with the new cpu, go into the Device Manager and "uninstall" the i5 750 cores because they will probably still be showing up even though it's no longer physically installed. At least that's how it was with Vista the last time I did it.
 
Yes processor and ram swaps require no additional work, other than physical.
 
Just make sure you have some new thermal paste. You are going to want to clean the HSF off before you apply the new thermal paste.

The move from an Intel® Core™ i5-750 to Intel Core i7-870 doesn’t seem like that big of an upgrade for the money. Have you thought about moving up to the 2nd generation Intel Core processors? You could pick up the Intel Core i5-2500K and a P67 board like this one from Gigabyte http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128487 for only about $50 more then you are paying for the Intel Core I7-870.
 
Potential newb question below:

I'm planning on purchasing a i7 870 to replace my i5 750. I should be alright with doing the swap without having to reinstall Win 7, correct? I've only done this on a Linux box which was pretty straight forward.

Simple enough. But value (performance increase for the money) is a completely different story: In this case, you'd be spending way too much money for what little you would gain in performance. And with the second-generation i5/i7 processors already on the market, the (resale) value of the first-generation parts plummet to much lower than their original cost.
 
Back
Top