Simple noob question(heatsinks)

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
I notice a lot fo boards have heatsinks on them, mine doesn't. I have some heatsinks from an old Dell and my old PSU.
Could i get some thermal paste and stick them on? Worth it? I am OCing currently.
Red is where i would put them, green box is the type, just a fin style. This is my board. The heatsinks would fit width wise and length fine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks

If that is your board, then I can say from experience that the Enzotech MST-88 is a perfect fit for the MOSFET section.

That link lists it for the Rampage II but it fits many boards, and I ran it on my UD3P.

Newegg link, while deactivated, has some reviews of others with the UD3P that can verify compatibility.

Thanks guys, you think it is worth it? Not seeing performance but rather giving my board a little relief?

I don't think you'd be able to put heatsinks on the chokes(?) which are in the red box, you might be able to find a heatsink to go on the MOSFETs behind the chokes, though.

You're right, they're impossible to find for chokes, as chokes don't need cooling.

Thanks guys, you think it is worth it? Not seeing performance but rather giving my board a little relief?

I personally won't run a board anymore without some sort of VRM cooling in place, especially if it will have any amount of overclock to deal with.

Whether or not it's worth it to you, well, only you can decide that, but it certainly isn't a bad idea, and it may even help make higher OC's possible for you without having to worry much about your VRM temps.

If I were you ? I'd have bought it yesterday :D

I personally won't run a board anymore without some sort of VRM cooling in place, especially if it will have any amount of overclock to deal with.

Whether or not it's worth it to you, well, only you can decide that, but it certainly isn't a bad idea, and it may even help make higher OC's possible for you without having to worry much about your VRM temps.

If I were you ? I'd have bought it yesterday :D

Lol, thanks, just on the fence since i want a new mobo for BD once prices go down. I think In my mind once this board fails it gives me a reason to upgrade :rolleyes:

To really improving the mobo's heat resistance, change any regular wet capacitors to the polymer type, and change any non-Japanese polymer caps to a Japanese brand. Other measures probably won't help nearly as much and will just be feel-good solutions.

If you're going to install heatsinks, don't use super glue or thermal paste (thermal paste is grease, not glue, and can't be trusted to stick) but instead use either epoxy (you don't really need special thermal epoxy) or silicone rubber RTV sealant. I like silicone RTV for small heatsinks because it sticks well (better than thermal tape; also seems to conduct heat better because it can be made thinner) but is so soft you can cut through it with a razor, if you ever want to remove the heatsink.

Sometimes heatsinks aren't necessary because the mobo is made with components that run cooler (MOSFETs with lower resistance ratings) or tolerate heat better, like those silver-canned capacitors, which are probably the dry polymer type rather than the regular wet type. But even among wet capacitors, heat tolerance varies a lot, and good ones may last 10 times as long as junk brands.

To really improving the mobo's heat resistance, change any regular wet capacitors to the polymer type, and change any non-Japanese polymer caps to a Japanese brand. Other measures probably won't help nearly as much and will just be feel-good solutions.

If they're 105C rated capacitors it doesn't really matter.

Shit, that's the first thing I do when I get a new motherboard out of the static bag. :rolleyes:

Ok, not really.

I have to ask, was the point of your post just to "hear yourself talk", so to speak, because it has very little to do with the OP ? :confused:

No he basically I think is trying to say it would be a waste of time for the OP... I agree

No he basically I think is trying to say it would be a waste of time for the OP... I agree

No, he rambles on about replacing capacitors and other ridiculous nonsense that has nothing at all to do with the OP.

VRM/MOSFET cooling is very important, and this has been demonstrated quite clearly over the past 2 years or so, especially when overclocking enters the equation. There is no argument to be had here.

Back