Simple networking question (I hope)

Gar

n00b
Alright, Im a total noob when it comes to networks. I've never connected 2 computers together so I really have no clue where to start..but hopefully what Im looking too do isn't too hard.

First off my machines..2 computers both of them running Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. Both have a NIC, and the new comp has 2 NICs built in actually.

All I want to do is transfer files from my old computer to my new computer...I don't need to share internet access but if that comes along with it then thats fine.

Is there a simple guide to doing this? Im assuming I need a crossover cable, which I should be able to pick up tonight hopefully.

Gar said:
Is there a simple guide to doing this?

FAQ - 3rd post in the forum. :)

Q. I have just two computers that I want to network together and I don’t want to buy a hub or switch; isn’t there a special cable I can use?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346707#post1026346707

Q. I have two or more computers and a cable modem, now I want to have all working together and able to access the Internet. What do I need?
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026346700#post1026346700

Other links to look at:
ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) set up
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

You either will need to use ICS to act as a DHCP server for your 2nd box, or you will need to statically assign an IP. Do you know how to do that (the static IP assignment)? The easiest way would be to get a crossover cable, staticlly assign IPs, and you should be good to go. This is assuming you just want to run to each machine via IP, if you want to be able to browse to the machines in network neighborhood thing, theyll need to be in the same workgroup as well.

He would probably be OK on addresses. When unable to get a DHCP address Windows will automatically assign a 169.x.x.x address that seems to be somewhat random. The odds of both getting the same address are slim.

What does concern me though is the fact that he mentioned that SP2 is installed. If this is a default SP2 install the software firewall is going to be turned on. You will need to go into the network adapter properties and then the firewall settings and turn on the file sharing firewall exception.

Brian Taylor

Yeah im having problems, I ran the network setup wizard on both computers, and everything seemed easy enough.

But I can't seem to get my 2 computers to connect to each other, Im not sure what Im doing wrong here.

On comp 1 I have 2 NIC's, one connected to my cable modem, the other connected to my other comp via a crossover cable..

Not sure where to go from here

Gar said:
Yeah im having problems, I ran the network setup wizard on both computers, and everything seemed easy enough.

But I can't seem to get my 2 computers to connect to each other, Im not sure what Im doing wrong here.

On comp 1 I have 2 NIC's, one connected to my cable modem, the other connected to my other comp via a crossover cable..

Not sure where to go from here

First, make sure you have NWLink NetBIOS & IPX/SPX... installed. To do this, goto start - > settings - > network connections. Then right click on local area connection and hit properties. Under this connections uses the following, make sure you see the above listed there, and also file and print sharing. If you do not, click install, then protocol, and choose the ipx/spx/netbios one. You may have to restart after that.

Then, just follow the instructions on this page:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Good Luck

SuperG

Ick, I haven't used IPX in YEARS. Know I have a Novell book around here somewhere collecting dust though :p

To start off with do NOT install IPX/SPX, that is crazy talk. I presume your internet is already working on computer number 1?

Go Start>Control Panel>Network Connections - double click on the first adapter and then click on support. If the IP address is 169.x.x.x check the second adapter. One of them should have an address that is not 169.x.x.x. Right click on the one that select properties. Go to the advanced tab and check the first box under internet connection sharing and click OK. 99% of the time you are now done.

Don't forget, if you have the SP2 firewall on you need to go in and check the exception for sharing files.

Brian Taylor

Malk-a-mite said:
Ok, I'm curious.
Why would someone need to have NetBios and IPX installed?

Do you not need this to be able to share your files over a lan? If this is not correct I appologize.

All the machines need is a protocol that both have. TCP/IP is always there obviously, so nothing else is needed.

Brian Taylor

SuperG said:
Do you not need this to be able to share your files over a lan? If this is not correct I appologize.

IPX/SPX used to be required for some games to function properly on a LAN (never had a problem sharing files without it, but I couldn't say for certain). However, in a 2k/xp environment only TCP/IP should be necessary.

Back