Simple network question...

masshole

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, I have DSL and a Linksys router (BEFSR41)

Last night I had both computers running flawlessly off the broadband... no problems.

Then all of a sudden it stopped working. So this morning I set up a network with both the computers and that works... but the internet still wasnt working.

So.... I unhooked one connection and hooked it up to just the DSL box and now it works, (but I obviously cant network) Any ides on what the hell is going on?

ok... i had togo to LAN settings and under tcp/ip check ip automatically...now it works.... why should that matter? anyone know?

i am willing to bet when you manualy put in the ip/subnetmask/gateway info on the machines you kicked (transposed) 2 of the numbers for what ever reason.
with a linkes routers they should be like this (IIRC)
router set to defaults

pc 1
192.168.1.2 (ip)
255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
192.168.1.1 (gateway)
192.168.1.1 (dns)
192.168.1.1 (wins dont really need)

pc 2
192.168.1.3 (ip)
255.255.255.0 (subnet mask)
192.168.1.1 (gateway)
192.168.1.1 (dns)
192.168.1.1 (wins dont really need)

Unless you 100% know the settings you need, leave them set to dynamic. It's also less hassle if someone comes over and plugs their PC or laptop into your network. If you dont leave DHCP on on the router and set your PC's statically, you're going to have to remember all the settings. And if you do leave DHCP on there's always a chance that it can be misconfigured and can hand out IP's that you already have statically configured.

you can run your setup fine, with your pc1 and pc2 set as static and with the router handing out dhcp address and it will not case a problem, because the routers DHCP server will know that .1 .2 .3 are in use, and if it starts at .2 for its lease range, or scope, it will hand out the next avalible one at .4. I know that d-links dhcp start at .100 so thats not an issue, and i think that linksys do the same thing.

if it is working with dhcp (or get ip info automaticly) i would leave it at that. to get the correct info, with you ip info handed out automatical run the command from the command prompt ipconfig /all and get the dns gateway subnet mask info and you can then set the info to static if you want.

let us know if you need help.

Originally posted by dagamore
you can run your setup fine, with your pc1 and pc2 set as static and with the router handing out dhcp address and it will not case a problem, because the routers DHCP server will know that .1 .2 .3 are in use, and if it starts at .2 for its lease range, or scope, it will hand out the next avalible one at .4. I know that d-links dhcp start at .100 so thats not an issue, and i think that linksys do the same thing.

if it is working with dhcp (or get ip info automaticly) i would leave it at that. to get the correct info, with you ip info handed out automatical run the command from the command prompt ipconfig /all and get the dns gateway subnet mask info and you can then set the info to static if you want.

let us know if you need help.

Its funny you mentioned that "if you need help"

I tried having both computers on at the same time and all of a sudden the network shut down and couldnt access the web... hm. tcp/ip settings are blank (I didnt put in any addresses there)

Does it work when you leave the computers setup to get the IP address automatically?

If so, leave it.

If not, you can statically assign them an IP. Dont bother messing around with WINS settings as you dont need it...unless of course you have a WINS server in your network. As I recall Linksys boxes start DHCP at .100 and go through .150. Use anything outside that range for your static machines. Dont use the DHCP pool or you risk problems.

under internet protocol its set to auto.... thats when it had the issues....

um, it works for a few then stops.

then i have turn off one computer and reset it through the linksys/sp site.

Then set them static. Again, just dont use anything in your DHCP pool. Linksys routers especially are very bad about assigning PC's the same IP address, even when they're both DHCP. If you get DHCP from the router, it's supposed to maintain a list of who has what, but sometimes it apparently doesn't work correctly. This might be what you are experiencing. Windows is supposed to tell you if another device also has your same IP address, but this doesnt always work correctly either.

Some DHCP servers can scan the range of it's DHCP pool to make sure there arent devices in there that it doesn't know about. Judging from the amount of problems I've had related to DHCP with Linksys boxes I dont think they have a mechanism like this. And it's also just a standard practice to never statically assign an IP that is in the DHCP pool. You're just inviting trouble if you do that.

thanks bro... if you got the time, you think you tell me a simple way to set them to static?

thanks again.

Go to Start>Run type

cmd

Press enter.

type:

ipconfig

at the prompt. Make note of your subnet mask and your default gateway.

Open up the TCP/IP properties for your NIC. Under IP address type the IP you want to use. We'll assume your default gateway is 192.168.1.1 and your subnet is 255.255.255.0

IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

That's all you need for that field. Underneath of it you should see a field for DNS. It should be grayed out because you have "Obtain DNS Information Automatically" select. Select the option to specify it manually. Enter the following:

Primary DNS: 151.164.11.201
Seconday DNS: 151.164.20.201

These are DNS servers operated by SBC. In my experience, DNS servers operated by cable companies are crap. I've seen a ton of DNS failures that are the cable co's fault. In 4 years of using these servers I've never once seen a problem, so I'd use em.

That's it. For the second PC just increment the IP address by 1. So it'd be 192.168.1.3. Everything else is the same.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I just thought of something. I have no idea what part of the country you are in, but these DNS servers are in Texas (at least that's what SBC told me). So if you're in another part of the country you might experience some delays if you use those. If you dont want to, your other option is to type

ipconfig /all

at the prompt and note your DNS servers that you are currently using, and use those instead.

Because.....ipconfig /all shows the DNS servers you are currently using, and he might experience lag using SBC's DNS servers if hes located far away from them, so he might want to use his cable companies instead....

Originally posted by Boscoh
Because.....ipconfig /all shows the DNS servers you are currently using, and he might experience lag using SBC's DNS servers if hes located far away from them, so he might want to use his cable companies instead....
Those servers you posted have less time than my Cable CO's
:eek:

Back