• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Simple, little, cheap NAS

ArturMaly

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
18
Hi guys.

I need to build myself simple NAS for my project files.
I want to make something like 2x2TB or 2x1TB.

I would use files directly from 1 disc, and in night I want to synchronize them.

But im n00b in nas and I want to ask if such configuration would be good:
- Asrock AD425PV3 with Atom D425
- 2GB of RAM
- And for chassic something like: Tacens Ixion
- OS - FreeNAS
 
For about the same price/power usage you can get the ASRock E350 AMD Zacate board. I use it in my little NAS, runs great.

edit: the zacate is faster!
 
Last edited:
Any reason why a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (x86) or similar wouldn't do?
//Danne
 
In my country AD425PV3 is ~75$ and Asrock E350M1 is ~118$ so i propably chose cheaper board.
as for ReadyNAS Ultra 2 is ~313$ and my setup cost only ~147$.

Anyone have made something on D425 atom??

s0rce can you tell me something more about your NAS?
 
The hardware you proposed will work fine for a two disk setup. But instead of synchronization on a schedule, I would put the disks into a RAID1 configuration in FreeNAS, that way they are consistent with one another at all times.
 
I was also thinking about RAID but if I by accident delete or save file there is no return to previous vesion of that file.
 
I was also thinking about RAID but if I by accident delete or save file there is no return to previous vesion of that file.

But even then...you only get 24 hours. Very rarely have my issues been found in < 24 hours.
 
I was also thinking about RAID but if I by accident delete or save file there is no return to previous vesion of that file.

Thats what snapshots are for. Just use ZFS and store periodic snap shots.

I keep daily and weekly snapshots.
 
Any reason why a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (x86) or similar wouldn't do?
//Danne

because they are slow. the home made atom / zacate systems running real OS can run at almost full speed file transfer. Where those NAS appliances, typically only get around 35 meg/second transfer unless you spend over $1,000.

freeNAS is also very slow. you'll be better off with solaris napp-it, or windows home server.
 
The old Sparc versions of the ReadyNas's are slow (NV/NV+) the x86 versions are not.
 
The HP proliant microserver is cheaper than the readyNAS and more powerful. If you just want 2HDD just only put in 2 drives.

edit: its still cheaper to build youself, just grab a zacate/atom board, 8gigs of ram, a half decent case and your set.
 
Cheaper but not easier to use. NAS's are appliances that have limited functionality and what they do, they do well. The HP is a full blown PC.
 
I made it, and there are my transfers throught iSCSI:
164nS.png
 
I Buy:
- Asrock AD425PV3 with Atom D425
- 2 GB of RAM
- Chasic: Tacens IXION
- My old 1TB Samsung and Segate 1TB [i dont remember model name now]
- Gigabit switch
 
Back
Top