• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Simple iPod Question

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
6,633
OK so I recently just got a plain old 8 GB iPod Nano. I have all my music on it and it works great. Sadly I was using a machine that died to synchronize all my music to and from my iPod. All my music was ripped from CD's rather than purchased from iTunes. So now my PC with all my ripped MP3's from disk is gone but I have it all on my iPod still. If I install iTunes on a new PC, can I reverse synchronize using my iPod as the master? Can I import all my music from my iPod to my freshly installed iTunes library or does it now work that way?
 
Not with iTunes, but there are tools out there that can copy the music off of your ipod.
(Do this BEFORE you setup iTunes!!)

EphPod is ol' reliable (http://www.ephpod.com/)
there's a bunch of others as well, and i'm pretty sure there are WMP/WinAmp/foobar plugins to do the same.
 
Thanks for that info. Do you happen to know if I purchase an album from iTunes, it then downloads it to my PC. Am I allowed to burn those files to a CD-R and listen to them on any CD player or am I strictly limited to listening to those downloaded files on my iPod only?
 
I just realized when you purchase songs / albums from iTunes, you're only allowed to download them again one extra time in case your PC crashes. That really really stinks. If I purchase a album, I should be able to download the album as many times as I wish as long as I only have one copy of it.
 
Well, there's no DRM on the music anymore, so you can just copy it as many times as you need in order to back them up somewhere (e.g. an external hard drive).
 
Last edited:
Yeah but I was more under the assumption it was like Steam. You buy a game and simply download the app / and all your purchases are able to be re-downloaded.
 
You can blame the studios for that, not Apple. You can do that with Apps, but the greedy music, film, and TV studios won't let them. Not that Apple would complain, more money for them.
 
Yeah but I was more under the assumption it was like Steam. You buy a game and simply download the app / and all your purchases are able to be re-downloaded.

And that's why I wouldn't personally buy anything from them. If I'm going to buy media, I need either a physical copy, or (like with Steam) a way to re-download it as many times as I want in case I do lose all my copies (it can happen).
 
And that's why I wouldn't personally buy anything from them. If I'm going to buy media, I need either a physical copy, or (like with Steam) a way to re-download it as many times as I want in case I do lose all my copies (it can happen).

I would think about it this way. If you lose your physical copy, you're going to have to buy it again! And I don't think there are any digital audio distribution services that let you re-download your music? Maybe eMusic.com? But they don't have a lot of the big studios on there.
 
Yeah, you make a good point. I don't know, I just find it more acceptable with physical media. Like, if I lose it, that's my own fault, whereas if there's a power surge, for example, that wipes out both my computer's hard drive and my backup, I'd be a lot more annoyed that I couldn't just re-download everything again. At least with the physical copy, I'd still have that as a backup.
 
Yeah, you make a good point. I don't know, I just find it more acceptable with physical media. Like, if I lose it, that's my own fault, whereas if there's a power surge, for example, that wipes out both my computer's hard drive and my backup, I'd be a lot more annoyed that I couldn't just re-download everything again. At least with the physical copy, I'd still have that as a backup.

Why would you have an online backup? Back it up and put it away in a drawer or shelf or whatnot, or put it in the bank.
 
google sharepod, i used to use this for my touch b4 i got a droid, cuz i REALLY hated itunes, but sharepod has a nice easy back up to pc button.
 
yeah, winamp works great. both the regular ipod plugin and ml_pod do a good job. Organizes the library well, too.
 
Back
Top