Simple Home Theater Question

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I currently have an Onkyo HT-S570 home theater system, and it sound great for the smallish size living room I have. My only complaint is the lack of common inputs for today's other equipment, namely HDMI. I decided I'd like to upgrade the receiver, and leave the speakers in place. So, that being said, I'm left with two questions:

1. I believe the specs for my current system list 100W per channel. If I pick a new receiver that puts out 65W per channel, am I going to have any issues with less power going out to the satellites? I don't usually turn mine up very loud, so would they work fine, just not capable of putting out as much sound as before?

2. These new receivers have 4 HDMI inputs and one output. If I have a cable box, game system, etc going to the receiver via HDMI, and I have the receiver powered off...will the sound just pass through to my TV, which would get the output from the receiver? Basically, I don't need to have the surround sound on all the time, do I?

Now for the links:

Current system:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S570&class=Systems&p=i

Potential new receiver:
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR313&class=Receiver&p=i

I would go with a Pioneer receiver especially if you're on a budget. I think Onkyo receivers aren't bad, but Pioneer makes a better receiver to me and you should be able to get one for nearly the same price.

1) 65 watts can be quite loud. If you're really concerned about it you should put a kill-a-watt device on your receiver, set your receiver to all-channel stereo then see how many peak watts per channel you're using.... The type of speakers you have as well as your listening volume may impact this.... but not for the majority of people.

2) Passive signal passing will vary but I think you'll find that most devices *will not* do it.

To be honest I think if you don't need 3d support you can find a lot of really nice second hand receivers. Also, Vanns has good deals on open-box clearance items that carry a warranty.

I'll look into the Pioneers, but I am partial to Onkyo. I found a great price on the one I have listed.

Passive signal passing will vary but I think you'll find that most devices *will not* do it.
I downloaded the manual for the newer Onkyo receiver, and it does say it will do pass-through if I have that option enabled. It also has an Auto setting as well.

I downloaded the manual for the newer Onkyo receiver, and it does say it will do pass-through if I have that option enabled. It also has an Auto setting as well.

I imagine it might be more reliable if you only have one device on... like your cable box but nothing else.. otherwise I wonder how the AVR would decide which to pass?

It looked as though there was a button for each of the four HDMI inputs on the front, so you would just select the device in use.

EDIT: Nevermind, the buttons were on a Denon I was looking at. I would still think this one would have some kind of switch to let it know what source you were using.

Last edited:
1. No 65 is fine

2. Yes you would have to have it on all the time. If it doesn't have pass through

I hate it when the description is not clear

Back