Simple home network guide?

Sharky974

Identified Troll
I built a new PC with Vista the other day, and I was planning to have both it and my old box on the same network and hoping to easily tranfer files between them, mainly to get all my old setting and stuff like MP3's off my old computer easily.

The setup I currently have is, Linkys wireless router in living room by cable modem, old PC connected to that wirelessly via wireless card, and then new computer in kitchen, directly plugged into the router via a long ethernet cable. Both are using internet off the router as well.

But they dont see each other at all, I'm confused and frustrated as heck, and there is no help for this issue anywhere on the internt. I dont even have a clue where to even start in Windows. Everything titled "set up a network" or similar in Windows has nothing to do with this issue. Usually they involve hooking one computer up wirelessly only. It's ridiculous.

What is wrong?

Also I was wondering, maybe a bit OT but, I have a little belkin thumb USB wireless 54G adapter. But on my new build with Vista 64-bit..no drivers. Went to website, my particular revision, 3.xxx, they only list a 32 bit Vista driver. Now a newer version of the exact same adapter, 5.xxx, they do show a 64-bit driver.

So I thought maybe I could pull one over on the man and the 32-bit driver would be fine, and I also tried the 64-bit driver for the 5.xxx version (they look exactly the same, what could be so different? The 32-bit installed normally then simply showed no signs of being installed, and the 64 bit, I think it gave me some error of not having a signed driver. Then I find out this is a big "problem" with Vista 64. There apparantly are some registry changes than can disable this, but I always hate fiddling with registry, really not going to do that right now.

But if it's a 64-bit driver and the only difference is product revision, why would it show a not signed error? Wouldn't that mean even if I had the right revision it still wouldn't work? I dont see how minor revision could affect the signed or not signed status of a driver..

So what the hell, now on top of the fortune I had to spend on this build, now I have to buy a new wireless card too simply for lack of drivers? What insanity. Is there any suggestions?

Now, I could be wrong on this one, but the 64bit versions of windows address the memory differently and as such all hardware has to do the same (i have 64bit xp and it is a nightmare for drivers even now).

What may be a minor revision in numbers could have a completely different chip or different workings so it isnt a surprise that it doesnt work. The only solution I have had for some of mine was to replace the hardware.

As for networking, You have to enable file sharing on the xp box (right click the drive/folder and click sharing and it should be self explanitory) Then I think you will have to do the same on the vista box. If you google for enable filesharing on vista I am sure you will get some guides out there. I would try to be more helpful but i dont have a vista pc to hand at the moment.

Hope that does help though.

Thanks for the help. What frustrated me was that my 2nd PC simply didn't exist to my first. No amount of enabling file sharing is going to help in that case.

But I think I figured out the problem, I was running zonealarm on one box, I think that pretty much made it invisible to the other. Haven't tried it yet but it hit me that was likely the problem.

As for the wireless adapter, it looks like I'll just have to buy another one for lack of a driver. Crap to say the least. It's not that old or anything.

Back