Simple Fan Question

CorpX

Limp Gawd
When choosing a fan for the case, should the CFM be the only deciding factor (and price?).

I dont particularly care about the noise level, so that's not an issue.

There's also life time and back pressure.

Life time - most fans are sleeve bearings which wears out after about 50000hrs, ball bearings a little longer then that. Then there's scyth S-FLEX that use fluid dynamic bearings that are rated at 150000hrs or magnetic levitation bearing from noctua's that are at the same level.

Back pressure - most fans are rated with no obstructions in mind. Many tends to push much less air when having to suck or push air through tightly packs heat sinks, cases that don't have much exhaust or air filters at the intake. You need to get fans that have fins that have a bigger "scoop" each time they spin. Also look at the motor size, the Scyth slip stream for example has a rather small motor (so low torque) and narrow fins so while they push lots of air in free space they don't produce much air flow when used behind filters.

And unless you don't intend to sit in the same room as the fan noise will be a factor.

And don't forget the most manufactures lie about their CFM and noise stats.

Yea, I'm definitely going with a major brand (Antec, panaflo etc) because I dont think they'll embellish the cfm/noise level. I'll also try to check out the back pressure. Thanks.

dB levels sound definately be a deciding factor lol... otherwise you could go with a computer decked out fully with Vantec Tornadoes... which would literally be deafening

Yea, I'm definitely going with a major brand (Antec, panaflo etc) because I dont think they'll embellish the cfm/noise level. I'll also try to check out the back pressure. Thanks.

check out yate loons as well. pretty much only place to get them is petra's tech shop

but yate loons are the best imo.

Back