Simple EVGA 680i Question

dj_2004

Supreme [H]ardness
I've owned this board since 2007 and have always plugged a molex into the connector on the motherboard. Recently, I googled to see if this molex is needed and it seems it is only for SLI. Is this true? Even if I OC my CPU I do not need to plug a molex power cable into the 680i if I'm not running SLI? If so this will make me very happy.

Link to motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013

Last edited:
I vaguely remember the molex connector on the 680i board. If I remember correctly, this isn't need for anything. It's there for convenience of having a molex connector on the board. I've OC'd e6600 and e8400 on that board while running 8800 GTS SLI'd without using that molex.

I think I used that molex for one of the case fans, actually.

I vaguely remember the molex connector on the 680i board. If I remember correctly, this isn't need for anything. It's there for convenience of having a molex connector on the board. I've OC'd e6600 and e8400 on that board while running 8800 GTS SLI'd without using that molex.

I think I used that molex for one of the case fans, actually.

The manual says its to give power to the graphics cards, but then I read a couple posts from people stating it should be used when OC the CPU. I shall now run without it plugged in as I truly hate the place it is in on the motherboard. Thanks.

Back