Sim City Beta

the thing i'm more interested in is the interactions between the cities.. sure building a big ass city in SC4 was cool and all but it got boring pretty fast. and while sure you could buy/sell electricity, or pay to have a region take your garbage, there was no real negative effect for the regions around that city.. you could exploit the system way to much since that region was basically paused while you were in another region. so as long as you never went back to that region after building it up you were perfectly fine.

well if you play single player, and build a city and never go back to it, that city is tech saved in a point in time and will never change. but things like pollution can come from that city you never visit over to one you are currently playing down wind.

now this is where multi player plays a roll since unless the other player is offline that other city wouldnt be sleeping and would be progressing along side your city with power/water/resource needs changing as their and your needs change.

so single player you could still cheat the system by setting up power/fuel/water citys and then just never visit them again but if you were to play a true multi player game where everyone is building what they want and where their needs could change or they could choose to stop selling you power or water is where it gets interesting.

all this simcity beta talk has made me want to reinstall simcity 4.

and man that game still rocks. nearly the perfect way to destress.

all this simcity beta talk has made me want to reinstall simcity 4.

and man that game still rocks. nearly the perfect way to destress.

I did that, simcity4 controls suck and I had a daymare. I quickly uninstalled it. :eek:

I loved the beta, and will most certainly be buying the game when it comes out.

Just heard on GiantBombcast that you could fill up the map in an hour of playtime? Is that true? If so, yikes!

Thinking about this a bit more. How good is the asynchronous support on this? It's all well and good to imagine the ideal scenario where everyone plays at the same time and can strike deals and work together in real time, but my life is too busy to guarantee that kind of availability. For example, if I agree to provide power to a neighbor then I log off, and he doubles his city size while I am offline for a week, am I going to login the next time to a total power emergency?

Not sure anyone on this forum even knows yet so probably a worthless question, but just another of my general concerns.

I guess I keep thinking about what I liked about Simcity is the total control of the simulation, and everything new in the new game seems to be things that limit your control (always online, no reloads, other people affecting your city, etc).

EDIT: better wording

if you log off your city is saved at a point in time, your city wont change at all and you cant offer to give someone more power than you can generate. once your friend exceeds your power trade capabilities he will just have to look for power from other sources like from a third city in the region controlled by him or someone else or he can upgrade one of his power plants or put in a new one in his city until you can login and fill his needs again.

while you are offline i dont think you get any money from power sales but you also dont lose any coal or oil reserves or other resources while offline

Just heard on GiantBombcast that you could fill up the map in an hour of playtime? Is that true? If so, yikes!

Thinking about this a bit more. How good is the asynchronous support on this? It's all well and good to imagine the ideal scenario where everyone plays at the same time and can strike deals and work together in real time, but my life is too busy to guarantee that kind of availability. For example, if I agree to provide power to a neighbor then I log off, and he doubles his city size while I am offline for a week, am I going to login the next time to a total power emergency?

Not sure anyone on this forum even knows yet so probably a worthless question, but just another of my general concerns.

I guess I keep thinking about what I liked about Simcity is the total control of the simulation, and everything new in the new game seems to be things that limit your control (always online, no reloads, other people affecting your city, etc).

Other people cant affect your your city unless you allow them to, but what do you mean "fill up" an entire "map" in an hour? As in fully developed? Skyscrapers etc? A 2km/2km area?

I'm listening to the podcast but it's three hours long. Where do they mention this? How would they even know such information?

Other people cant affect your your city unless you allow them to, but what do you mean "fill up" an entire "map" in an hour? As in fully developed? Skyscrapers etc? A 2km/2km area?

I'm listening to the podcast but it's three hours long. Where do they mention this? How would they even know such information?

by fill up he means cover all the ground with roads and zones, but you wont fill it up with skyscrapers in 1 hour, i think the max people were getting too is 160-180k sims during the 1 hour beta. i only managed to get 58,810 before i ran out of time.

considering you can get upwords of 1million sims in a city no one was close to that in 1 hour.

by fill up he means cover all the ground with roads and zones, but you wont fill it up with skyscrapers in 1 hour, i think the max people were getting too is 160-180k sims during the 1 hour beta. i only managed to get 58,810 before i ran out of time.

considering you can get upwords of 1million sims in a city no one was close to that in 1 hour.

That's what I was thinking; no way in one hour that would be possible. But to generally fill up the space with basic buildings etc, yeah, I can see that in one hour. I don't see that as a problem of any kind.

I'm listening to it now.

do you have a link to the podcast dont think ive heard it yet

http://media.giantbomb.com/podcast/giantbombcast-012913.mp3

I haven't listened to the entire thing yet (it's about 3 hours), but yes, if you make money in the final release at the same rate you did in the demo, you can put roads and zones across most of the city plot in 30-60 minutes.

That doesn't mean you're even close to finished with the city; but it does change very early on from expansionist to curator

http://media.giantbomb.com/podcast/giantbombcast-012913.mp3

I haven't listened to the entire thing yet (it's about 3 hours), but yes, if you make money in the final release at the same rate you did in the demo, you can put roads and zones across most of the city plot in 30-60 minutes.

That doesn't mean you're even close to finished with the city; but it does change very early on from expansionist to curator

Yeah, I just listened to the latest Gamers with Jobs podcast as well, and they confirmed a similar thing (20 minutes of playing and filled up 25% of the map).

That is just way too small in my opinion and makes this a clear "no" for me. Curating a city is fun provided that there is a lot to curate, but curating a small city would get tedious extremely fast.

Kind of makes sense why they would limit the Beta to only one hour then. Probably realized that the first hour (building) is the best part...

Damn, just sad for a Simcity game. I still love SC4 though, so if I get the itch, I'll probably just keep playing that. Warts and all, it's still a great time and seems to give me more that I want from a city-builder than the new version.

Hope everyone else enjoys it though :).

Last edited:
Back