Sim City Beta

Always Online, SEVERAL Day zero DLC's, obvious missing content that will be future dlc, Maximum City Size is a fraction of previous titles.

It's dead before arrival.

Always Online, SEVERAL Day zero DLC's, obvious missing content that will be future dlc, Maximum City Size is a fraction of previous titles.

It's dead before arrival.

There is "several" day one DLC's? Where is this written/listed? I must have missed that somewhere, because I don't remember hearing about any day one DLC.

Also, from what I read, it was stated that city size would be equal to that of SC4.

As for the obvious missing content, that much I can see/agree with.

In regards to F2P and such. Blame the developers for habituating the younger generation into purchases. My nephew recently spent $20 for an item in an iPhone game. I couldn't believe it. It's not uncommon amongst the new pre-teens and teens of this generation.

There is "several" day one DLC's? Where is this written/listed? I must have missed that somewhere, because I don't remember hearing about any day one DLC.

Also, from what I read, it was stated that city size would be equal to that of SC4.

There's a deluxe edition with a fairly high premium price as well as various preorder bonuses that will more than likely be available as DLC.

This site has some photos / links regarding city size (scroll down a bit), as well as a bunch of other things that I really didn't want to see in the game.
http://sc2013thedeception.blogspot.com/

im not too worried about the city size, they can always patch in larger regions and larger city sizes after the game is released and they see how their infrastructure can handle the current city sizes with as many people that plan to play the game.

There's a deluxe edition with a fairly high premium price as well as various preorder bonuses that will more than likely be available as DLC.

If you're talking about the $80 pack with the few extra buildings from around the world, then yeah, I know about that one. I can live without the landmark buildings from France and Germany etc., which I cant believe they're charging that much for. The only other thing it includes is the evil/superhero nonsense, as far as I know, which I think is also in the lower-end pre-order.

This site has some photos / links regarding city size (scroll down a bit), as well as a bunch of other things that I really didn't want to see in the game.
http://sc2013thedeception.blogspot.com/

I've actually already posted that very blog link in the other SimCity thread, actually. I've read it thoroughly. But there was an interview with EA recently where it was said that city sizes would be "roughly the same" as in SC4 etc. Of course, it was probably vague on purpose, in regards to what city size (large, medium etc) so that's where the confusion lies.

If they've not changed that by release, and the cities are truly only the size of the mediums-sized cities from SC4, I'm not even sure I'd bother with the game. Especially given the fact it would actually end up to be less than that in size, given all the unused space in-game that is in-between buildings etc. Bad design decision there.

im not too worried about the city size, they can always patch in larger regions and larger city sizes after the game is released and they see how their infrastructure can handle the current city sizes with as many people that plan to play the game.

Issue is that I don't see what it should have to be "patched in", as city size shouldn't make any difference regarding gameplay, performance etc. even for multiplayer, which they're far too focused on in the first place. I'm sure their "infrastructure" isn't a problem in the least and it's something to do with another issue less innocuous.

They're really cutting off a potentially great game at the knees, and it just makes no damn sense to me other than to give the general, "It's fucking EA" explanation.

we dont know what kind of strain glass box does on their end or our end as cities get larger and you have more jobs going.

the current city sizes could vary well be due to a few factors and not just one of them.

keeps cities from being too large and lagging the majority of players without high end rigs or using too much cloud processing resources. (we already know the Simcity.com website cant handle a simple beta sign up swarm pretty much down for 3 days except at super late hours like 4-5am how well do you think their glass box cloud system can handle peak load at release smaller cities will keep the load down at release)

i want larger cities but there are a lot of reason why they could be so small right now from balanced region play to performance and optimizing game play ect.

all of those reasons could be addressed in a patch once they have the game in the masses.

it could come in the form of dlc or expansion knowing ea but reguardless just because its not in at release doesnt mean it never will be. with enough people moaning and groaning EA has done changes to games in the past. like BF3 commo rose

The Commo Rose is a feature in Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142, and is in the PC version of Battlefield 3. By pressing and holding the Q button on the keyboard, the Commo Rose is brought up, with several options being displayed in a ring around the "Spotted" option.

it wasnt added to the pc version of BF3 until pc players bitched for it.

EA is pulling more of there "lets possibly ban you from everything" EULAs again

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/22/s...tains-ea-wide-ban-clause-for-unreported-bugs/
Section 6.2 of the SimCity beta EULA states:

“It is understood and agreed that, as part of your participation in the Beta Program, it is your responsibility to report all known bugs, abuse of ‘bugs’, ‘undocumented features’ or other defects and problems related to the Game and Beta Software to EA as soon as they are found (“Bugs”). If you know about a Bug or have heard about a Bug and fail to report the Bug to EA, we reserve the right to treat you no differently from someone who abuses the Bug. You acknowledge that EA reserve the right to lock anyone caught abusing a Bug out of all EA products.”

EA is pulling more of there "lets possibly ban you from everything" EULAs again

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/22/s...tains-ea-wide-ban-clause-for-unreported-bugs/

Already reported in this thread. Yesterday they released a statement saying the language was "too broad", they will be changing it, and that they will not be banning people for not reporting bugs.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/23/ea-wont-ban-for-simcity-bugs-eula-changes-inbound/

So noble of them, eh? Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Wonder how many people complained that they changed it... originally hoping no one would see it

I signed up for the beta. I'm going to ignore it though. Too much bad news surrounding this game.

Different Editions including different gameplay content:
Wiki said:
Initially, the game will be sold in various editions: Limited Edition (available in both physical and digital forms), Collectors Edition (Amazon-exclusive Steelbook Edition with German City Set) and Digital Deluxe Edition. The latter includes the French City Set, German City Set, and British City Set

I hate that. No matter which edition of the game you buy, the game should be the same. Include separate stuff like documentaries, game art, statuettes and soundtracks with different editions if you want. But the game should be the same across all types.

Density Driven by road type:
wiki said:
The density will be driven by the types of roads built around these zones.[22]

As far as city planning goes, this is wrong. As far as gameplay goes, this is limiting and hand holding. Stupid decision.

Predefined Regional Networks:
Wiki said:
Cities in a region are connected to each other via predefined regional networks such as highways, railways, and waterways. Elements such as traffic and air pollution will be visible flowing between cities.[23]

More hand holding and gameplay limiting design. Stupid.

No Terraforming as we know it:
Wiki said:
Terraforming – Creative Director Ocean Quigley stated that all of the terraforming in the game is going to be at the civil engineering scale, and will be the natural consequences of laying out roads, developing zones, and placing buildings.[23]

More handholding and gameplay limiting design. Stupid.

Always Online:
Wiki said:
SimCity will require players to be logged into EA's Origin service to play the game, including when playing single player. An active internet connection will be required every time the game is launched and must be maintained throughout gameplay.[27] The connection is asynchronous,[28] so any brief network disturbance will not interrupt the gameplay[29] though outages of longer than three minutes will cause loss of gamestate.[30]

Gameplay limiting design and arbitrary "piracy prevention" that doesn't actually prevent piracy at all.

Maximum of 10 Regions per Origin Account:
Ocean Quigley said:
@weebl_101 You can have up to 10 regions (in total, regardless of whether they're private or shared with other players)

More limiting gameplay design. Stupid.

The more information that is revealed about this game, the more stupid it sounds from a player perspective. The Beta isn't worth my, or anyone else's, time.

I'll wait until the player reviews come out. If its bad I'll wait for some stupidly low discount sale, if it's good I might pick it up

I'm trying to play the beta, ugh. This feels like such a huge step backwards. Just nonsensical decisions.

So sad.

I have an extra code PM if anyone is interested

Edit: gave it away

Last edited:
Am I the only one who was really bored by the beta? It just seemed like I was playing a facebook game or something.

I have played and loved every Sim City game since the beginning and this was the first one that has actually bored me.

I'm not sure why, a lot of the elements from the other games are there. But something was just missing from the beta. Anyone else getting that feeling?

you can only play 1 hour at a time, it sucks, i wanted to continue to play more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moar-cat.jpg

Beta is up on monday? Is it even worth installing the client and playing over the weekend?

I didnt get into the beta, so i am waiting to see what happens. this may or may not be the new game for mew. Im hoping it is since diablo 3 is failing I am now looking for something new to play and have always loved sim city.

Let down again. I have been playing Sim City since the late 80's. EA has destroyed the franchise. There is no saving it. This game is garbage. SC4 was a masterpiece. This is such a massive step backwards it isn't funny. Dumbed down isn't even the right word for it. More like stuck on stupid.

Unbelievable.

Back