SIM Card Hack Fixed Remotely by Carriers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
We reported a few weeks ago about the vulnerability found in a possible 750M phone SIM cards, leaving the cards prone to a hack. Carriers found a reverse exploit and pushed it out in an update effectively patching the vulnerability.

Physically replacing millions of SIM cards would’ve been an expensive and painstaking task by carriers, but instead, they took advantage of the same Java vulnerability that Nohl found and used it to hack into their own SIM cards and patch the exploit.

How many times has this been done in the past on this scale?

A neat trick... until something goes wrong because you couldn't test every environment and you brick 150M phones.

I would assume that the vulnerability was so bad that this was literally the only option... exploit it before a bad guy does?

Wow. Sometimes massive scale is not an advantage.

Sounds like someone find the backdoor for ..., decided time to close it. Game is rigged when its not on a fair playing filed.

A neat trick... until something goes wrong because you couldn't test every environment and you brick 150M phones.

I would assume that the vulnerability was so bad that this was literally the only option... exploit it before a bad guy does?

Sounds like it was just a bug with the sim cards, so it would basically just break the sim card. I think what would happen is that the phone probably couldn't be affected by such a thing otherwise I would agree.

based on what was reported, its a bug on the simcard, not the phone, I think the outcome was like, the simcard could either be fixed of the bug or nothing will happen at all that's all. I doubt something would literally kill the phone that is why they went with it.

That explains all the could not register on the carrier shit I had the other day and it's been connecting fine since yesterday.

Back