Silverstone Tj08 + Biostar TForce6100-939 + Thermalright V-1 Ultra Will It Work ?

caspanis

Weaksauce
Hi All,

I have recently acquired the Silverstone Tj08 mATX case and a Biostar TForce6100-939 motherboard. I also have an XFX 7900GT video card which is VERY loud and annoying. I want to quiet and cool this VGA card down and was thinking of the Thermalright V-1 Ultra cooler.

My question is this will these components fit or work together. My problem is further compounded by the fact that all my PCI slots are used !

Opinions / Advice welcome .

P.S. Any recommendations for VGA cooler other than the thermalright are welcome as well :)

Cheers,
Caspanis

Easy - VF900Cu is the best imo cooler out there. Built a system for mate at work and used a VF900Cu on his BFG 7900GT. Stock idle was 52c and load was high 60s. Swapped to VF900Cu and was 36c idle and 38-39c load :D Grabs air from that lovely side vent to keep it cool :)

Firelord said:
Easy - VF900Cu is the best imo cooler out there. Built a system for mate at work and used a VF900Cu on his BFG 7900GT. Stock idle was 52c and load was high 60s. Swapped to VF900Cu and was 36c idle and 38-39c load :D Grabs air from that lovely side vent to keep it cool :)

Hi.

The problem with the VF900Cu is that the slot immediately below the video card becomes unuseable and in the Tforce I have 2 PCI devices along with the PCI-E video card.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

I believe it will fit...i have a thermalright xp-120 and i was able to fit the thermalright V1 w/ the fan. Works great btw my idle temps on my 7900gt were 36-38C idle and 48-50C load w/ arctic silver.
here's some pics. i have it on a asus a8n SLI deluxe mobo.

110.jpg

111.jpg

too bad i can't keep the heatsink, but i recently switch cases and i got a lian li V1000 and it flips the heatsink upside down rendering the heatpipes useless. Still works but not as great in my older case where the heatpipes were facing up like on a regular case. There's even a warning on thermalright's website about cases like the lian li where the mobo is upside down. But i had the heatsink before i got the case so i'm going to have to switch heatsink. But for the case your getting it should be perfect.
I'm selling my heatsink btw since its useless on my lian li. here's the link to my add.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1057406&highlight=thermalright
$35 shipped w/ everything still there including the box. in any case its a great heatsink

Blur2u,

Thanks a million for the PICS they actually reveal alot and make me that maybe this could actually work !

There are in my mind three issues to consider :

1) Is there enough space below the 7900GT on my motherboard (Biostar TForce6100-939) with the sound card in the very next slot to accomodate this cooler ?
2) Is there enough space above the 7900GT to accomodate the back-end of the cooler with 80mm fan (mainly worried about the north-bridge heatsink by the PCI-E X1 socket) ?
3) Is the case I'm using (Silverstone Temjin TJ-08 ) wide enough to accomodate the heatpipes and still allow me to close the case ?

Any help is most welcome on this one as I would really like to quiet this noisy puppy down , my idle temps on the card are also high (65 degrees celcius) and I'm wanting to significantly reduce that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Caspanis

Hi Caspanis,
Sorry for the late reply but to answer some of your questions.

1. I believe you might have enough room, but it's cutting it really close. So i'm not positive on that. I just sold my V1 and i don't remember if it overlap w/ the next pci slot or not. But i believe its really close fit.
2. You should have enough space above since that heatsink that wraps around the top w/ the fan doesn't go in to the mobo that deep. It actually sticks farther out So you should have enough clearance. If need be you can always cut some of the fins on the heatsink of your NB.
3. You should have plenty of clearance w/ the heatpipes to still be able to close the side panel. looking at your case it has a 120 mm fan in the back similar to my lian li. So it looks like it'll fit. In my older case which is a coolermaster wavemaster (slim case w/ 80mm fan in the back) the pipes rubbed up againts the side panel.

i believe you are in the clear w/ question 2 and 3. The only thing i'm not 100% sure is quesion 1.

Hope that helps

All,

I sent an email to thermalright asking pretty much this same question and they quite helpfully indicated that given the dimensions of the case and the motherboard layout , that the V-1 Ultra would not fit .

They even provided a schematic of the cooler to reinforce their recommendation.

As a result , The search continues ...................

Thanks to all for the opinions/help offered.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

You are sort of sol, unless you switch to an ATI card with fan control or do some creative modding, because there isn't a quiet single slot solution. That was my original motivation for going ATI this gen.

The easiest thing to do, aside from selling the card and buying a new one, would be to buy a Zalman fanmate and splice it into the fan cable. Different connector, but they're both 3.3v.

Other option would be to buy a 1U heatsink and add a blower to the end, with a fanmate. You can hack up the normal sized 3 pin connector to make it fit. Look at Dynatron's lineup, because you can get a combo that may work for around $25. H37 looks promising: http://www.dynatron-corp.com/products/cpucooler/1USOlution.asp?page=1U

X1900GT are going cheap on eBay and may mod in the future... On average, they are a hair slower than a 7900GT, but go for about $75 - 100 less.

Why not swap to a USB wireless nic? free up that PCI slot and then you can use the VF900CU :D

Back