Silverstone SX700-LPT 700W Platinum SFX-L

Sorry to break out the bad news, release schedule for this PSU has been delayed to the end of this year as more fine tuning is required.

Ah, sad to hear, but it's best to get it right than not. I patiently await to put this into my 5L dual 970 GTX 12 core! :)

Sorry to break out the bad news, release schedule for this PSU has been delayed to the end of this year as more fine tuning is required.

I could really do with getting this, my setup of titan-x with docked laptop:

20150615_175131_zps8wooa55x.jpg

(That's the 500W unit in there).

At the moment I have to plug the laptop in as well while the GPU is overclocked otherwise the PSU trips.

What exactly am I looking at here? Is this an eGPU docking station? Why would the PSU trip if the laptop is not plugged in?

It's a docking station for the gs30 notebook modified to fit a fully custom water loop inside and a titan-x clocked to 1500/8000. The notebook takes about 65w so the psu can't supply that and the titan-x under sustained heavy load.

By plugging in the laptop as well it draws the 65w from its own brick and the 500w can just power the titan, pump and fans.

It's a docking station for the gs30 notebook modified to fit a fully custom water loop inside and a titan-x clocked to 1500/8000. The notebook takes about 65w so the psu can't supply that and the titan-x under sustained heavy load.

By plugging in the laptop as well it draws the 65w from its own brick and the 500w can just power the titan, pump and fans.

I see, very nice. Makes a lot of sense that you'd want the SX700 in there :D

Have you also tried SX600-G?

Tony,

I was wondering whether it would be too late for a small suggestion regarding the 700 SFX-LPT?

Could the connectors be shifted closer to the fan?

The reason I ask is: on the Ncase M1 the connectors are so far away that they interfere with a GPU when everything is installed. The only way to get the SFX-L to fit is to flip the PSU around so that the fan faces into the case and away from the side. If the connectors were closer to the fan, then it could be installed correctly. I appreciate it may be too late or difficult to do, but it would make some people very happy... thanks.

Hi!

Is there any update about this and when it (the 700w) is going to be released in Europe (Scandinavia more exact)? Is the 600w also delayed and will it launch together with the 700w-version?

Best Regards

Will Silverstone release a short psu cable kit for $35-40 for their SFX and SFX-L psus for smaller mini-itx cases like the Ncase M1, DAN A4, RVZ02, SaperPL Sentry? It would make cable management that much more convenient :)

I have the PP05-e cables and they aren't that short. Cable management was still quite time-consuming in the NCase M1.

Will Silverstone release a short psu cable kit for $35-40 for their SFX and SFX-L psus for smaller mini-itx cases like the Ncase M1, DAN A4, RVZ02, SaperPL Sentry? It would make cable management that much more convenient :)
If you're willing to spend $35-40, just buy the tools to DIY and it will come out exactly the correct length for you.

Could the connectors be shifted closer to the fan?

Unfortunately no, they would interfere with each other on the inside.

Hi!

Is there any update about this and when it (the 700w) is going to be released in Europe (Scandinavia more exact)? Is the 600w also delayed and will it launch together with the 700w-version?

We have no plans to release 600W SFX-L PSU right now as SX600-G is available in standard SFX size.

There are no new updates on the SX700-LPT at this moment so my guess is that we are probably looking at Q1 time frame for release.

Unfortunately no, they would interfere with each other on the inside.

We have no plans to release 600W SFX-L PSU right now as SX600-G is available in standard SFX size.

There are no new updates on the SX700-LPT at this moment so my guess is that we are probably looking at Q1 time frame for release.

Must have been quite a serious issue with the fundamental design to cause this sort of delay, makes me kind of wary regarding the final quality of product if something came up like that at this point in the design.

Must have been quite a serious issue with the fundamental design to cause this sort of delay, makes me kind of wary regarding the final quality of product if something came up like that at this point in the design.

There is nothing to worry about with the quality, we'll get it right before releasing it for sure. The last thing we want to see is rushing a product as crucial as the PSU out and get returns. A couple of months delays are quite common with PSU development!

As long as the fan is right, I'll be a happy man :)

And pleas release a matching sleeved set too!

will there be a gold 600w SFX-L psu? I have the 450w sfx gold and decided not to get the 600w sfx version as the user reviews are very mixed. Will there be a new revision for the 600w sfx gold?

If Corsair does decent sales wise with their SF600, I can see EVGA joining in as their newest psu offerings have been really amazing lately.

Here's hoping that Corsair does not cheap out on the capacitors. I also wonder what the cables will be like especially the length of them.
Yeah I wonder where the "SF" falls. I'm guessing somewhere in between there PSU range.

The one thing that has me excited is the way they're basically implying it will be more quiet then other SFX. They also don't mention any fanless feature so that makes me happy as well.
It employs a 92mm fan that is larger than the 80mm fans used in completing SFX power supplies, letting the SF600 stay quiet and cool even under extreme loads

As long as the fan is right, I'll be a happy man :)

SX700-LPT has primarily load based fan control so it'll behave differently from SX500-LG's temperature based fan control. We believe this change will improve the experience for those not happy with how SX500-LG is reacting with their systems.

Doesn't sleeving entirely defeat the purpose of the low-profile ribbon cabling?

That is true, we will not sleeve the included cables. But if you do want sleeved ones, our PP06 cables are available separately and will be compatible with SX700-LPT (and other SilverStone PSUs). Though they are full length and not short.

I wish Superflower or Seasonic would make an SFX psu design already :/
+1000000 I would like to see something from Seasonic too, I have always loved their PSU's

Looks like we are still not getting enough credit for what we've done in SFX? We already make better SFX PSUs than Seasonic, two years ahead of time. Sure they made some very nice ATX PSUs (so do many others too), but SFX is a different game.

SX700-LPT has primarily load based fan control so it'll behave differently from SX500-LG's temperature based fan control. We believe this change will improve the experience for those not happy with how SX500-LG is reacting with their systems.
The main issues heard in the complaints are related to noises caused by the lack of hysteresis in the fan-control. Basically the fan-control isn't "fluffy" or dynamic, but direct. I would expect this issue to also be possible when load-based since GPUs and CPUs aren't putting the same load constantly but also fluctuating wildly and rapidly depending on load, except for straight-up synthetic benchmarks like FurMark or Burn In Tests.

So unless there is some form of slow adaptive fan control being applied, I would expect we'll see the same kind of problems in this new one too.

The main issues heard in the complaints are related to noises caused by the lack of hysteresis in the fan-control. Basically the fan-control isn't "fluffy" or dynamic, but direct. I would expect this issue to also be possible when load-based since GPUs and CPUs aren't putting the same load constantly but also fluctuating wildly and rapidly depending on load, except for straight-up synthetic benchmarks like FurMark or Burn In Tests.

So unless there is some form of slow adaptive fan control being applied, I would expect we'll see the same kind of problems in this new one too.

For safety precaution, we probably won't be adding hysteresis to fan control because we need to ensure the PSU can cool itself if needed as quickly as possible.

We believe the ticking noise that some owners of SX500-LG heard is the result of the ramp up in voltage applied to the fan by the temp control. This is more noticeable around the voltage required to start the fan. With SX700-LPT, once the required load is reached (in this case 20% or around 140W), it applies full start voltage to the fan so there are no moments of hesitation like in the SX500-LG, hence no more faint ticking noise.

We have done quite extensive testing on the SX700-LPT already, it's a pretty awesome unit and we can't wait to share it with all of you! (it's capable of powering a Mini-ITX Core i7 system running prime95 for 24/7 in fanless mode)

We have done quite extensive testing on the SX700-LPT already, it's a pretty awesome unit and we can't wait to share it with all of you! (it's capable of powering a Mini-ITX Core i7 system running prime95 for 24/7 in fanless mode)

Semi-fanless feature confirmed. A few people were hoping for an always-on ultra-low RPM fan, but I guess that's not going to happen.

For safety precaution, we probably won't be adding hysteresis to fan control because we need to ensure the PSU can cool itself if needed as quickly as possible.
Properly implemented hysteresis will not introduce any sort of safety issue, as the fan turns on at the exact same trigger temperature. Indeed, it is safer as the fan will not shut off immediately as load drops but continue running until the heatsink has cooled. With 'dumb' load-based control, a long period of high load followed by a sudden drop to idle (e.g. playing a graphically intensive game, then exiting the game) will result in the heatsink heating up and storing heat, then the fan stopping with the heatsink still hot. This will subject components attached to that heatsink to elevated temperatures for as long as it takes for the heatsink to cool passively.

While that is a valid argument by itself, it doesn't mean hysteresis can't be a good solution either. Graphically:

LTdYbnJ.png

Blue: direct 1:1
Orange: hysteresis with time-delay
Green: averaged and smoothed from the orange line

All three are off-set so they don't overlap. This shouldn't be the fan control, mind you, but the data that the fan controller should receive about the PSU's load. That should take atleast one more factor than load into account for it to not present issues. But what it does show is that while direct is very jumpy, like many multiplayer gaming for instance, can be. Hysteresis with time-delay smooths this out by supplying stages, meaning it won't see constant load changes but prolonged drops and peaks. While my own concoction, the smoothed, averaged version of that last one will allow a more detailed but less jumpy information be sent to the fan controller.

When I said there should be another factor in play is because it helps even out the edges and allows for potential failsafes. Say you'd also feed temperature data together with the load data. And when that spike at #11 starts, it still reads an OK enough temperature there's no need to ramp up the fan. But this also eliminates the scenario where the load is low but the temp is high, which a load-based fan-controller would not pick up.

We believe the ticking noise that some owners of SX500-LG heard is the result of the ramp up in voltage applied to the fan by the temp control. This is more noticeable around the voltage required to start the fan. With SX700-LPT, once the required load is reached (in this case 20% or around 140W), it applies full start voltage to the fan so there are no moments of hesitation like in the SX500-LG, hence no more faint ticking noise.

Very impressive, I'm very eager to get this PSU !

Tony,
First let me say thank you for sharing info and your help here on these threads. Secondly, when can we buy this new 700w mini beast! :D

I like the idea of 700W.

Also you can add hysteresis just to one side... Or perhaps a better way to put it is have your normal fan spool up and then a very slow spool down. It sounds like the fan acting erratically is what bothers people, not necessarily that it's on. I actually made that exact profile for my mATX case fans. Fast spool up with a very slow spool down.

I wouldn't be suprised if Seasonic was the OEM for the Corsair SF600, they've done power supplies for them in the past.

Semi-fanless feature confirmed. A few people were hoping for an always-on ultra-low RPM fan, but I guess that's not going to happen.

Our upcoming and recently 80 PLUS certified SX550 will have an always on fan. Hopefully for those that must have it that way, this could be another option.

Properly implemented hysteresis will not introduce any sort of safety issue, as the fan turns on at the exact same trigger temperature. Indeed, it is safer as the fan will not shut off immediately as load drops but continue running until the heatsink has cooled. With 'dumb' load-based control, a long period of high load followed by a sudden drop to idle (e.g. playing a graphically intensive game, then exiting the game) will result in the heatsink heating up and storing heat, then the fan stopping with the heatsink still hot. This will subject components attached to that heatsink to elevated temperatures for as long as it takes for the heatsink to cool passively.

While that is a valid argument by itself, it doesn't mean hysteresis can't be a good solution either. Graphically:

Blue: direct 1:1
Orange: hysteresis with time-delay
Green: averaged and smoothed from the orange line

All three are off-set so they don't overlap. This shouldn't be the fan control, mind you, but the data that the fan controller should receive about the PSU's load. That should take atleast one more factor than load into account for it to not present issues. But what it does show is that while direct is very jumpy, like many multiplayer gaming for instance, can be. Hysteresis with time-delay smooths this out by supplying stages, meaning it won't see constant load changes but prolonged drops and peaks. While my own concoction, the smoothed, averaged version of that last one will allow a more detailed but less jumpy information be sent to the fan controller.

When I said there should be another factor in play is because it helps even out the edges and allows for potential failsafes. Say you'd also feed temperature data together with the load data. And when that spike at #11 starts, it still reads an OK enough temperature there's no need to ramp up the fan. But this also eliminates the scenario where the load is low but the temp is high, which a load-based fan-controller would not pick up.

I like the idea of 700W.

Also you can add hysteresis just to one side... Or perhaps a better way to put it is have your normal fan spool up and then a very slow spool down. It sounds like the fan acting erratically is what bothers people, not necessarily that it's on. I actually made that exact profile for my mATX case fans. Fast spool up with a very slow spool down.

Sorry I forgot to elaborate again that SX700-LPT will also have temperature safety mechanism so that the fan will continue to spin even if the load drops below 20% while PSU internal is above a certain temperature. I guess in some ways, this combination of load based control plus temp sensing will make SX700-LPT a "semi-hysteresis" PSU?

Tony,
First let me say thank you for sharing info and your help here on these threads. Secondly, when can we buy this new 700w mini beast! :D

We are currently aiming for Q1 release.

Back