silverstone ST65ZF

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
i currently have a PC P&C 510 deluxe (non SLI version) and i plan on moving to SLI sometime in August and since my current PSU won't cut it im looking at getting a good PSU thats SLI certifed to power my 7800GTX's when i get the 2nd one. this was recomended to me. http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-65zf.htm what do you guys think?

and btw the way i will most likely be selling my PC P&C 510 deluxe on here sometime in august so if your interested keep on the look out.

Get the Seasonic S12 600W. Haven't heard too much about the Silverstone..

I bet your PC Power Cooling 510w is more capable of handling an SLI setup than any of the power supplies you are looking at. What made you think your 510w can't run an SLI setup?

aug1516 said:
I bet your PC Power Cooling 510w is more capable of handling an SLI setup than any of the power supplies you are looking at. What made you think your 510w can't run an SLI setup?
ok this is what someone told which makes sense, which is why i thought i needed a new psu.

"The PC P&C actual rating is 510watts, it's peak output is 650watt. When running in SLI each 7800GTX or 6800Ultra requires at least 18A's on the 12v rail, which means each card needs a dedicated rail with nothing else connected to it. The reason the one i listed above (he's talking about the silverstone) is so good is it has 2 separate rails which both have dedicated PCI-E connectors on them, then there are two other rails which have 3 molex connectors on each of them. thus giving you 2 dedicated rails for both 7800GTX's with 18A on each of them and you still have 2 other rails with 6 molex connectors in total for all other components. Also has a rail for SATA drives and has a 24 pin ATX connector for the DFI SLI-DR motherboard.

SLI is an absolute power hog."

You might want to try getting in touch with pcp&c, they may be able to mod your existing psu to something suitable for not a lot of cash, or get another pcp&c.

Also, you dont need seperate rails for everything, its sufficient to have enough power on one rail, unless of course nvidia has designed the 7800 powerstages in such a way as to feedback, which would be very bad design in deed.

Like he said call PC POwer and Cooling to see what they will do for you on getting you a 510 SLI. The silverstone will be a step down.

If you have enough power on a single rail (like the PCPC510) then you don't need split 12v rails.

damstr said:
ok this is what someone told which makes sense, which is why i thought i needed a new psu.

"The PC P&C actual rating is 510watts, it's peak output is 650watt. When running in SLI each 7800GTX or 6800Ultra requires at least 18A's on the 12v rail, which means each card needs a dedicated rail with nothing else connected to it. The reason the one i listed above (he's talking about the silverstone) is so good is it has 2 separate rails which both have dedicated PCI-E connectors on them, then there are two other rails which have 3 molex connectors on each of them. thus giving you 2 dedicated rails for both 7800GTX's with 18A on each of them and you still have 2 other rails with 6 molex connectors in total for all other components. Also has a rail for SATA drives and has a 24 pin ATX connector for the DFI SLI-DR motherboard.

SLI is an absolute power hog."

Got to love the Internet.

There's so much mis-information here, it makes my head hurt.

The load of a 6800 Ultra may only be 18A for BOTH cards. Not 18A each. Most I've ever recorded has been 7A each.

Also, the Silverstone does NOT have a dedicated rail for each PCI Express. The PCI Express connectors aren't even on their own raill! They're on the same rail as the 24-pin connector. The third and fourth rails are for drives and the 8-pin Xeon connector only.

Not to say the Silverstone isn't a great power supply... but I find it unlikely that you wouldn't have success from your PCP&C.

jonnyGURU said:
G

Also, the Silverstone does NOT have a dedicated rail for each PCI Express. The PCI Express connectors aren't even on their own raill! They're on the same rail as the 24-pin connector. The third and fourth rails are for drives and the 8-pin Xeon connector only.

Hehe..........

ok well it looks like i'll be sticking with my PC P&C. it will be compatible with the DFI lanparty SLI-DR right? isn't the DFI a 24 pin connector ATX connector? because my pc P&C only has a 20 pinATX connector.

damstr said:
ok well it looks like i'll be sticking with my PC P&C. it will be compatible with the DFI lanparty SLI-DR right? isn't the DFI a 24 pin connector ATX connector? because my pc P&C only has a 20 pinATX connector.

It should be fine.....but again call PC Power and Cooling and talk to them. They will work with you.

Back