Silverstone SG08 @ Computex

q08 or q11 would give me a little more flexibility in my selections.

They give you more flexibility because they are larger. The volume of SG08 is 14.8 L, which is already very large for a mini-ITX case. The volume of the Q11 is 17L. The volume of the Q08 is 21.3L which is almost a micro-ATX case.

It just depends what you're looking for in your SFF system. But it's not like there is anything wrong with Silverstone's design. They are aiming for a smaller form factor, and the SFX PSU is one of the compromises. I like my SFF systems to actually be small, so personally I think the SG08 is already a little too large and I prefer the SG05/SG06. But if you're OK with the Q08, you should also consider Silverstone's SG02F which has a volume of 22.5L and can take either ITX or micro-ATX.

i was actually hoping that langear mitx case would have been out by now. that one seemed to have everything i wanted. but i have doubts that company will ever get it into production since its about 6 months late already.

This is definitely the case I'm getting for my next build. I can't wait to hear about your experiences.

At first glance this is just a simple facelift for the SG07. On cracking it open they have pretty much solved the two major issues with the SG07:

Poorly sheathed PSU power cable? - Solved! It now sports a properly moulded and safe attachment so no more exposed 240V cable.
Cant access the PCI-e holder without removing the power socket? - Solved! the retention bracket now has a clear gap allowing you to remove PCI-e cards without having to unscrew the power socket.

So quite frankly with USB 3.0 and the super sexy new front (see below) I would certainly recommend this over the SG07 now.

oQKtZl.jpg

Wish this came in a silver brushed aluminum as well...

Agreed. A lot of us find black boxes that have been in vogue for the last 15 years ugly. It's like we are in a time warp like back in 1918 again when Henry Ford said about the model T "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black".

Poorly sheathed PSU power cable? - Solved! It now sports a properly moulded and safe attachment so no more exposed 240V cable.
Cant access the PCI-e holder without removing the power socket? - Solved! the retention bracket now has a clear gap allowing you to remove PCI-e cards without having to unscrew the power socket.

Didn't have either of these issues with my SG07.

At first glance this is just a simple facelift for the SG07. On cracking it open they have pretty much solved the two major issues with the SG07:

So quite frankly with USB 3.0 and the super sexy new front (see below) I would certainly recommend this over the SG07 now.

oQKtZl.jpg

Those 2 were the design flaw of SG07, they should fix them on the later batches SG07

I've been mostly happy with the case so far, however, the PSU produces loud and mildly annoying buzzing noise in stress like games and benchmarks (GTX580+i5 2400 both at stock speed). Does anyone else have this problem? I'm probably going to replace the PSU. Any good suggestions (600W+, nonmodular and length 140mm)?

Damn, pulled the trigger on my stuff before seeing this thread. Might want to try this out as my next SFF build; I was always interested in this series but did not like the looks of the previous iterations, but I do like this one. I too would enjoy a silver one rather than black.

But that ninjalane review seems...lacking. E.g., how are the temps? How is the noise level? They also mention trying a bunch of aftermarket CPU coolers, but fail to mention all the ones they tried, and conclude only OEM coolers will fit. I am sure there must be an aftermarket cooler that fits in this case... haven't folks fit them in previous iterations of this line? These are all important things to mention in an SFF case review IMHO.

I've been mostly happy with the case so far, however, the PSU produces loud and mildly annoying buzzing noise in stress like games and benchmarks (GTX580+i5 2400 both at stock speed). Does anyone else have this problem? I'm probably going to replace the PSU. Any good suggestions (600W+, nonmodular and length 140mm)?
I had strange chirps out of my SG07's power supply for like a week or two (started about a month after I got it) then they went away. Quiet as a mouse for months now. GTX590 and a OC'ed 2600k so I'm leaning on it hard.

The case is nice, but one caveat: once again Silverstone fails basic 101 and doesn't include SATA slimline power adapter, even though they built their own PSU into the unit in the first place...

I knew this in advance, so I bought this dongle that lets you plug in both the SATA and SATA power cable into it, and the other end, in turn, plugs into the slimline drive. However...it doesn't fit. The dongle takes up too much space and juts up against the 180mm fan. So it turns out that you need the dongle that is *just* for the SATA power cable. You can plug the actual SATA cable straight into the drive, since that's the same size as the one you'd find on a regular drive.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure what the heck the point of the former dongle is anyway, since it's only the SATA power cable that is smaller.

I just received mine. First disappointment, the 180mm dust filter is missing. And the power button is not even centered in his hole. For a 200$ case, that's unacceptable. Hurray for QC, Silverstone.

Here's my Newegg review:

Pros:
Included power supply.
Powder coated inside but... (see cons)
The front fascia is a fully machined (and anodized) very thick aluminum plate, not just a flimsy cover.
Front USB3.0 and Audio are sleeved.

Cons:

Missing 180 dust filter...
... dust mixed with the inside powder coating.
Outside powder coating is ruff, not slick like the SG05/06 cases.
No thumbscrews for the panels.
Unnecessary long AND sleeveless wires of the 180 fan.
Power button and led wires are not sleeved.
Off center power button in its hole.

Others thoughts:
For 200$, I'm very disappointed. Missing dust filter is unacceptable. Where was the QC guy when they packed it up? Do they build the cases in a filthy place to have dust mixed with powder coating? Ok it's inside so not as bad as if it was outside. But for the price, the case should be flawless. I own a SG05 and while it costs 2/3 of the SG08, it has far less quality problems/mistakes. It's a shame because the front fascia is truly a high quality piece. If only the rest was the same...

Last edited:
I had strange chirps out of my SG07's power supply for like a week or two (started about a month after I got it) then they went away. Quiet as a mouse for months now. GTX590 and a OC'ed 2600k so I'm leaning on it hard.

Mine had some coil whine for a bit when first stressed from gaming also. Didn't last long though as it was something that bugged me and went away within the same day or two.

For 200$, I'm very disappointed. Missing dust filter is unacceptable. Where was the QC guy when they packed it up? Do they build the cases in a filthy place to have dust mixed with powder coating? Ok it's inside so not as bad as if it was outside. But for the price, the case should be flawless. I own a SG05 and while it costs 2/3 of the SG08, it has far less quality problems/mistakes. It's a shame because the front fascia is truly a high quality piece. If only the rest was the same...

Yeah, for $200 it should be perfect. Guess you got one that was made on Friday afternoon. :D

They really should have included the slimline drive adapter. I have seen a few people get all their hardware ready to install then suddenly realize they can't hook up the optical drive. :/

One other gripe I agree with about the fan that you could add to. The wire could be shorter but they also should have included a plug/header that you could pull from the switch and detach the fan completely from the case. I have to mod mine to have this feature.

I've already RMA'd the fan filter in mine, the material started tearing away from the bottom edge on the side where it slides in. That only took 3 months to sort out. :/

I received an email telling me that a dust filter is coming, at least the customer service of Silverstone was painless for me. Other thing: The rubber dampers for the HDD cage are thin and cheap, I tear one in half only in removing the tray... Anyway I'll probably just throw it away as I only have a ssd and it'll help for routing/concealing cables.

Long time lurker in these forums finally had to register to ask a question. Can you put two 3.5" hdd's in the SG08 in place of the two SSD's?

No, there is only room for 1 3.5" drive. The 2.5" drive bays only have the height to fit standard sized ssds.

Low profile heat sinks with fans like the AXP140 fit, just barely. The issue isn't clearance with the 180mm fan as there is still plenty of room overhead. However there is a overhang where the psu and hdd go togehter that sticks out making it a tight squeeze getting it in. Once its in its not a problem unless you try to take it out and then its a extreme bitch to get out.

With the 180mm fan on low its relatively quite, unless you have a high end video card like a 6970/7970 or 580 and then it doesn't matter as the video card is going to be the loudest part, louder than the 180mm fan on high.

Cable management takes patience. I recently built two pcs using the Sugo 08. The first one looks like shit for now when it comes to cable management. But the second one is pristine looking and it has to be in order to fit a 6970/7970.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a good suggestions for a replacement PSU for the SG08? It must be 140mm long/wide and probably non-modular(?). Preferably 600+W wattage. The Thermaltake TR2 800W seems like a good alternative but I would prefer one with 80 PLUS® Gold certification.

Does anyone have a good suggestions for a replacement PSU for the SG08? It must be 140mm long/wide and probably non-modular(?). Preferably 600+W wattage. The Thermaltake TR2 800W seems like a good alternative but I would prefer one with 80 PLUS® Gold certification.

I went for the BeQuiet BN188. Was the only decent 140mm 80+Gold PSU. It is the same internals as the FSP Aurum but half the price.

My gaming Sugo 08 is done, finally. After getting a defective 6970, I returned it and got a 7950. I know, not the most cost effective but its quiet, much quieter than the defective 6970.

Hello guys! For some time I follow the forum, especially topics related to SFF...I'm thinking about purchasing this case, but I wanted to use the regular-size PSU that I have (modular Seasonic X-760), so I wonder can you make any case modification that the standard power supply still fit?

Hello guys! For some time I follow the forum, especially topics related to SFF...I'm thinking about purchasing this case, but I wanted to use the regular-size PSU that I have (modular Seasonic X-760), so I wonder can you make any case modification that the standard power supply still fit?

No unless you use a 180mm GPU. Considering you cannot buy one without the PSU and the bundled PSU is pretty damn good there should be no issue.

Anyone else have an issue where the top of the case doesn't sit flush with the bezel when you put it back on?

Anyone else have an issue where the top of the case doesn't sit flush with the bezel when you put it back on?
Yes, but it just takes care that you get it on correctly; the area of the front right is pretty tight.

I have both SUGO SG07 and SUGO SG08. I noticed that SG08 has better PSU fan! :cool:

Back