Silverstone SG08 @ Computex

I like the front, finally. That's been my issue with this line. Looks like they're taking a page from Lian Li's book with the brushed aluminum look.

ugh if it's gonna come with a powersupply you figure they'd make it a powersupply designed for an itx case...shorten the cables!

Take a look at Shuttle how they manage their cables. They have the correct size and most of the cables are already prepared in a way that they are not in the way. Much better.

Yeah that kinda sucks....way to many cables way too long... they should sell a psu-less version at least

Yeah that kinda sucks....way to many cables way too long... they should sell a psu-less version at least

If we were talking about standard power supplies I would agree. However, considering that there is merely a couple of power supplies that fit within the SG07/08 chassis, that would be pointless. Not to mention it will not solve the cable length issue -- which by the way, although not optimal in length, are far from being as problematic as one would think, let alone being as problematic as managing a stand-alone power supply's cables.

If we were talking about standard power supplies I would agree. However, considering that there is merely a couple of power supplies that fit within the SG07/08 chassis, that would be pointless. Not to mention it will not solve the cable length issue -- which by the way, although not optimal in length, are far from being as problematic as one would think, let alone being as problematic as managing a stand-alone power supply's cables.
Agreed...they're not an issue. And besides that you're not going to find a (much) more capable power supply that will fit. These guys managed to get 781w out of the SG07's power supply before it shut itself down:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/SilverStone-Sugo-SG07-Review/1064/7
Thermaltake makes a unit rated at 800w but the board layout & internals on it look damn near identical to the SG07's unit and the cables on the Thermaltake are no kidding full length.

The SG07 has a good power supply; mine is putting up with an overclocked 2600k and a GTX 590.

The SG07 has a good power supply; mine is putting up with an overclocked 2600k and a GTX 590.

Impressive -- I was told by Silverstone that the GTX 590 won't work in the SG07. Admittedly, I would be afraid to try such a combination.

Impressive -- I was told by Silverstone that the GTX 590 won't work in the SG07. Admittedly, I would be afraid to try such a combination.
I just jumped in both feet after reading the review I linked to. A little over 2 months of beating on it and so far so good. Backup plan was to go with that 800w Thermaltake and shorten the cabling.

Nothing new here?

It feels like there should be something coming up on silverstones pge soon. 3 weeks until release. At least the vendors should soon get pre-orders up.

Maybe should just email silverstoen and ask.

SG07 is a great little case. Not much out there specifically designed for m-itx though....and Lian Li goes overboard with features beyond what any m-itx board I have seen can handle making the cases much bulkier than necessary imo.

Really like the looks of this new front panel although it seems everything else is identical.

Is ther anyway we can purchase additional VGA fan duct? My video card has 2 fans and i want the filter to cover both of them

YES... now it's just to wait for the swedish vendors too get going.

But why on earth did they put a 10mm thick alu front on the thing. It's almost that you should take it off and cut it in half and sell it for scrap money. 5 mm is just fine to give a solid feel.

How effective are these? I'm thinking of customing one in my SG05.

I dunno, I dont have the case nor the video card lol. My next video card will have 2 fans thou that's for sure..I dont like 1 fan card..looks weak. Im just wondering if they sell it separately. I can always make it myself anyway. I hate cleaning the dust on the components. When are we gonna get sg08 here in the states?

website says the psu has short cables, but it still looks like a rat's nest in the pictures.
would be better if they had made it modular

No need to have it modular if you build the case up as it was designed. My setup uses every connector so modular would be moot in some builds.

Cables could be shorter in my experience but that's something easily fixed if you have the tools and the time/patience.

So as I really like this chassi (or really like sg07 but it's just not good looking) I will start my build as soon as the sg08 hits the shelves.

I will mod my passive 5770 so it will fit. Also put in my already bought SSD and HDD.

I've also decided to go with a Asus P8H67-I Deluxe B3 adn 8 GB RAM for that.

The CPU will be a Core i5 2400S (to keep the temps down).

But the CPU cooler is a questionmark for me.
I will run the CPU passive as the graphics and relying on the chassi fan too keep everything cool.
I won't overclock or anything like that. Not even play BF3 (just some much "lighter" games).

Now if I lived in the states I would get a Thermalright AXP140RT. But it will be just to much to ship it from the states to Sweden.

Many say Prolimatech Samuel 17. It's rare and also expensive in sweden (my wife keep an eye on the PC budget).
What's next?

Thermaltake Flexi (will it fit a mini-itx?)
Thermaltake ISGC 400 (will it fit?)

Scythe Samurai ZZ (will it keep the chassi cool?)
Scythe Shuriken (smarter then ZZ?)

Any tips?

sgtspiff, the stock intel cooler is fine. My cpu sits around 32 C on average.
Some people upgrade to aftermarket coolers to lower the noise or to be ready for a Z68 board.
To be honest, I can't hear the CPU fan over the 180mm in the top of the case.

The Prolimatech is easy to get here and cheap but it hasn't received good reviews.

The Scythe Samurai looks pretty sharp and would probably perform better than the Prolimatech and I think it's the same price.

Just got email from silverstone, SG08 should be available in USA on 11/9, so 2 days away :)

$200? Thats way over priced IMO. Is that the SS MSRP or is that Sun Dial's price?

Have to remember that the $200 price includes the 600W PSU. I still wish both it and the SG07 were about $40 cheaper but they do fill a special niche for mitx with a relatively beefy psu.

Have to remember that the $200 price includes the 600W PSU. I still wish both it and the SG07 were about $40 cheaper but they do fill a special niche for mitx with a relatively beefy psu.

i'm a little skeptical about that psu though. i hope when sites review it, they thoroughly test it out

i'd feel more comfortable buying the chasis and choosing my own psu (if i could find one that would fit)

Why are you skeptical of the psu?

It is a proven performer (its the same as the Sugo 07) and a good one at that.

i'm a little skeptical about that psu though. i hope when sites review it, they thoroughly test it out

i'd feel more comfortable buying the chasis and choosing my own psu (if i could find one that would fit)

The power supply is more than sufficient for this case. Look around the forum at some of the hardware running in these. No problems.

i have, and its basically an average psu. nothing fantastic but nothing horrible. also being the hobbyist builder, i'd rather buy parts of my own choosing.

anyway, doesnt look like this is for me. i'll probably get lian li q11 or q08 instead.

I guess you can call it "average" but you don't need more power in a case this size. I have the worse case scenario (GTX 590 & 2600k @ 4.3GHz) and with no issues. Although it's rated at 600w and has been tested up to 780w before shutting down due to overcurrent.

BTW...I'm wondering if the SG07 windowed cover will fit on the SG08. Looks like it probably would... <shrug>

i have, and its basically an average psu. nothing fantastic but nothing horrible. also being the hobbyist builder, i'd rather buy parts of my own choosing.

anyway, doesnt look like this is for me. i'll probably get lian li q11 or q08 instead.

?? The Bundled PSU is great. The only PSUs that will fit that are "better" are the FSP Aurum Gold 700W (which has a noisy fan) or the BeQuiet BN188 both are 80+ Gold but they are not rated as high as the one in the SG07 (although it says 600W if you open it up you will find it is actually rated to 850W Source: JonnyGuru Review).

See that jonny guru review it is more than just an "average" PSU and if you did buy your own you would have to do a whole cable change to get the shorter and fewer cables that the standard PSU offers.

In other news I will be getting one of these as soon as it hits UK shores.

I read the same article. And there were some things about it I didn't really like. (assuming nothing changed since sg07)
I also vastly prefer selecting my own parts for everything. Call it personal preference and leave it at that. For a lot of people I am sure it would be fine.
q08 or q11 would give me a little more flexibility in my selections.

Last edited:
Back