Silverstone SG03: Not what I expected.

D-Three

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
85
Yester, after 5 weeks waiting, I finally received my brand new SG03. I was very excited because I loved my Silverstone SG01 and I thought the SG03 could only be better. But my first look at the SG03 makes me almost regret that I sold my SG01.

First of all, there's a small gap between the side and front panel. When viewed under an angle, I'm able to see the chassis of the case. And that isn't really nice because the side and front panel are black and the chassis isn't.
http://users.telenet.be/dthree/hardforum/DSCF3902.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/dthree/hardforum/DSCF3903.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/dthree/hardforum/DSCF3904.JPG

Also the power button doesn't look very nice alligned. I don't know how to say it exactly because English isn't my native language ;) Take a look at photographs to see what I mean.
http://users.telenet.be/dthree/hardforum/DSCF3905.JPG
http://users.telenet.be/dthree/hardforum/DSCF3909.JPG

And finally, the two little doors don't always close nice. I don't know what the problem exactly is. But sometimes they open and close without a problem and sometimes I cannot close them very good. It looks like they stick against the bezel of the optical drive bay.

Is this normal for a SG03? :confused:
 
I noticed the same "problems" with mine, although to me they are only minor so it does not bug me at all.
 
I got a SG03 arriving Friday. I'll check and see how it is.
 
I got mine at work right now but I don't remember any of those problems on mine. It was perfect.

The power button on mine does not stick up at all, I am positive.

The funny thing is my co-worker got a SG01-E at the same time I got the SG03 and it had two problems with it. Similar button issue to your picture of your SG03. Those buttons are just slid onto a plastic 'pin' sticking up. If you pull on the button it just slides off. The buttons on my co-workers SG01-E weren't pushed on all the way and one fell off when we tried to figure out wtf was wrong.

His other problem might be hard to describe... looking at the front of the SG01 you can see the mirror-like shiny plexy panel behind the aluminum... it is outlining the 5.25 bays for example.... on my co-workers SG01 when we got it in the plexy part was warped very badly and looked very cheap. We took the front apart to find an extra screw part wedged between the aluminum and plexy. When the two parts were screwed together it bent the plexy. After taking the case part, removing the extra screw part, and putting it back together it looks almost perfect now. After being bent for so long it still retains some of its curvature but is very hard to see.


As far as the SG03 I think you can fix that button, pull it off and put it back on will probably fix it. The doors not closing/opening smoothly.. I agree that is annoying... I already hate the doors... I want to just tape them shut as I see no reason I'd need to open them and so far they just fall open when carryign the case around. I could imagine that they are hitting your CD drive if you can't close them smoothly.

I really doubt any quality differences between the cases... maybe you just a 'good' SG01 and a 'bad' SG03.. on average they're going to be similar quality though.

I was at Frys looking at the two cases for about a half hour unable to decide. I think both are still great... SG03 is more unique and has better cooling so I chose it.
 
I've e-mailed the pictures to Silverstone Europe en asked them the same questions. Today I received an answer:
sorry that you have troubles with the SG03 Case.

We checked your pictures and the problems and suggest you to exchange the case at your dealer against a new one. This SG03 that you received do not show normal SilverStone quality.

Especially the side panels should close correct.
Well, they say I can send it back. I haven't contacted the shop yet but I'm sure I'll have to wait at least 5 weeks again before I receive a new SG03. This sucks.

Also, my new GA-G33M-DS2R doesn't want to boot, I don't know yet what the problem is. It seems I don't have luck with this new build. :(
 
My SG03 arrived today. There is some gap but to be honest it looks natural. I cant see anything but blackness. Maybe the mesh fan screen is blocking anything viewable? I dont see this as a problem personally. I guess the gap is there to allow doors to hinge open.

My power button is fine. Sits naturally like its suppose to even after pushing it many times. I also took the case grabbing it from behind and pointing its face downward and shook it up and down vigorously and the doors stayed closed. The latches that hold the doors held fine.

I'm impressed how light the case is. It looks and feels solid and structurally sound but very light in the hand. I'll give more impressions of this once I start building. My 8800GT wont arrive until next Tuesday so I have to wait till then.
 
Back
Top