SilverStone GD05B HTPC Case $75 @ Amazon

qnhin

Limp Gawd
I've been looking for an HTPC case and saw this today @ Amazon. It was $90 yesterday.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This is what I use for my HTPC - great case. I paid $110 or so back in the day.

Considering getting another - great case for the price! Have a 2500k in mine and they're my go-to for HTPCs. Aftermarket CPU HSF height is the only limiting factor.

no usb 3.0?

Not really necessary for HTPCs and newer mobos will have them on the back panel if you absolutely need them..

Also, I ordered a non-usb 3.0 version of a Silverstone Lascala case recently from newegg and was sent a newer usb 3.0 version.

nice HTPC case. I have a 2500k in mine as well, works great. The GD06b has front panel usb 3.0 ports and hot-swap drive bays, but the design "improvements" make it more difficult to work with. The PSU space is cramped and really limits the choices of modular power supplies will fit the newer version of the case. It also costs $40-$50 more. No thanks.

I've been stuck between the GD05 and GD06 for awhile now and this deal may cause me to pick-up the GD05. The GD06 looks better, but not sure an extra $60 justifies USB 3.0 and a cosmetic difference.

This is the cooler that sits atop my 2500k in this case. The newer version is only 100mm while this one has a low pro 120mm fan and performs better. They can still be found if you hunt around.

One of these really makes installation much less of a pain if, like me, you hate push pins.

Yeah, the install was a bit of a pain - probably the longest i've ever spent on a cpu heatsink. I have the revB version of the big shuriken, and when I was building my first GD05 it was the only decent option I could find. Very happy with the cooling performance, all in all - the 2500k with a mild overclock barely breaks 60c in a cramped entertainment cabinet.

this model they're 2.0, the GD06b had the 3.0 and looks a little nicer for an extra ~$50. BTW it's up to $80 presently.
Any idea where to get the 3.0 version? Or is the upgrade kit the only way to make this happen?

Any idea where to get the 3.0 version? Or is the upgrade kit the only way to make this happen?
The GD06b is the version of this case with USB 3.0 front hookups. Amazon has them for $122 right now.

While USB 3.0 front ports are nice, the GD06b is more cramped inside, especially the PSU area.

If you don't plan on installing a DVD or BR drive in your case, you could install a card reader with USB 3.0 ports that fits into the open 5.25" bay, on the GD05b to get your USB 3.0 front connects.

The GD06b is the version of this case with USB 3.0 front hookups. Amazon has them for $122 right now.

While USB 3.0 front ports are nice, the GD06b is more cramped inside, especially the PSU area.

If you don't plan on installing a DVD or BR drive in your case, you could install a card reader with USB 3.0 ports that fits into the open 5.25" bay, on the GD05b to get your USB 3.0 front connects.
According to Silverstone's website and comments on Newegg, there is a USB 3.0 version of the GD05. Model number is SST-GD05B-USB3.0 (http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=241&area=en). The only place I can find it is in the Pacific countries (Japan, Australia, etc.). As I was typing this, I found an adapter kit for a lot of the Silverstone cases: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silverstone-2xUSB3-0-2xAudio-USB3-0-Upgrade-Kit-G11303260-/280853223388.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back