Silverstone FT02 i7 920 build

edvb

Weaksauce
After looking at all the different cases and decisions between ATX and mATX motherboards I finally decided on getting a Silverstone FT02 Black with Window on left side. Since it will not ship till the end of September I need to get some advice on the components to install.

I have a i7 920 D0 SLBEJ on hold at a Micro Center for $215 including tax. Should I get it?

Silverstone recommended the Black SilverStone Element SST-ST85EF 850W ATX Power Supply to run two video cards in a SLI configuration. Any comments?

As far as the Motherboard, Sata DVD or BlueRay drive, Sata Hard-drive, Video cards, Memory am I better off waiting till the case arrives?

I just want a reliable system as my last rig is still going strong after 7 years at 24/7 .

The components I need are best for the buck and not cutting edge. The case will be sitting on my desk so the window will be in plain view.

I have a Dell 2209WA monitor that I just recieved.

Thanks for any help on this.

Well, if you buy everything now, what will you use until the case comes? Though, you could just have it sit on your desk for a few months. :p

qm_prelim_test_scythe.jpg

vid cards and HD deals come and go, but I'd personally go for the 2TB @ dell for 180 right now...vid cards I haven't followed in a while but check out the hot deals thread, my 260 that I bought for 225 has been as low as the 120-140s I believe, but they usually involved rebates or s/o quickly so check often. Oh and nice case choice;)

I was able to find drivers for my ATI AIW 9600 card so I still have my old PC to use until my new build.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? Etc
Gaming, Photoshop, Office, Web browsing, Itunes. HDTV

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Less than $1500 Yes

3) Where do you live?
Oshkosh,WI 54901

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very
specific. Everything but Monitor,Keyboard & Mouse

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Keyboard,Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?
Maybe , But I want a fast machine that does multitasking well.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
New Dell 2209WA

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as the case arrives. Late September
I like to get some deals so I have most of the parts before the case arrives.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? etc. SLI ,Onboard sound

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No. I Want 64 Bit OS 7

The case is a given. New Silverstone FT02 Black W/ Window case. $200 no PS

I have a i7 920 D0 SLBEJ on hold at a Micro Center for $215 including tax. Should I get it?

What else should I look for before the case arrives.

I was able to find drivers for my ATI AIW 9600 card so I still have my old PC to use until my new build.

I think you missed my question...

Well, if you buy everything now, what will you use until the case comes? Though, you could just have it sit on your desk for a few months. :p

If you buy all the parts now, with no case to put them in, it'll be a waste unless you just set them up on your desk as in the pic. It would be best to wait until the case you want is available, since new GPUs and CPUs should be coming out by then, or will have already been released.

Yes you are correct. The main thing was the i7 920 CPU. I am going to Chicago next week and was wondering if I should at least pick it up for $215 tax included or just wait till the case arrives and see if a better deal can be had. That was the main concern I had.

If you really are going to build a core i7 build then...get the cpu for $215. That is a great deal. I highly doubt you will find the core i7 any cheaper than $200 anytime soon when most places sell it for $280 online.

HardwareGuru

Thanks. I will pick it up next week As soon as I get word that the case is ready to ship I will start a discussion on the best deals available then. I am looking for a machine that loads programs and browses fast on the net. I will probably only have a few games but will want them to work well. Maybe a couple 30 gig SSD's in Raid 0 for the operating system and a HHD for photos,music and the rest of my data files. A DVD burner and a couple GTX 260 cards in SLI or comparable, 6 gigs of DDR3, Motherboard, Cooler and I would be done. Longevity is the key for me on this build.

Hehe, you've already got the SSDs planned... good man! Revisit this thread or make a new one when the case is almost ready to ship. ;)

Back