Silly question (Win7 full key, upgrade disk)

GilmourD

[H]F Junkie
I think this should work, but I just wanted to be 100% sure.

I just moved so I don't have access to all my disks. I do have my brother's Win7 Upgrade disk, however. I'm installing Win7 on a box using a full version (not upgrade) key. I repeat, it's a full key, NOT an upgrade key.

Are the disks essentially the same between upgrade and full versions and the activation scheme controlled by the key?

Just wondering, since I don't really want to go digging through a zillion boxes. LOL

You shouldn't have any problems using the upgrade disk. It can do full installs also and it should activate just fine.

I'm not sure how the ei.cfg file plays a role in installation since I always remove it, but I'm thinking that it could cause a problem with both the edition (Home Pro, etc) and channel (retail, oem, upgrade) of the key you have. Only way to find out though is to try it out and see.

I'm not sure how the ei.cfg file plays a role in installation since I always remove it, but I'm thinking that it could cause a problem with both the edition (Home Pro, etc) and channel (retail, oem, upgrade) of the key you have. Only way to find out though is to try it out and see.

I don't think it will matter, I did a clean install with upgrade media and it told me once that it couldn't activate my key because I did a clean install and not an upgrade. So it was looking for a retail key and not an upgrade key. A quick registry change fixed that and it activated just fine.

If he does the same it should look for a full key and not an upgrade key.

I don't think it will matter, I did a clean install with upgrade media and it told me once that it couldn't activate my key because I did a clean install and not an upgrade. So it was looking for a retail key and not an upgrade key. A quick registry change fixed that and it activated just fine.

I do have a full key. I just wanted to make sure that the Upgrade media wouldn't screw me.

Can you not just try it and see.... it would take what?? 45 minutes of your life?? :D

That's not what I was saying. While a clean install is possible with upgrade media, the key you used would have matched the settings stored in ei.cfg. That file tells the installer what edition and channel to install without prompting the user for that information. If he gets it to install at all, the the ei.cfg doesn't matter, but since he's using a different channel's key, and possibly a different edition, it could be a possible headache for him.

That's not what I was saying. While a clean install is possible with upgrade media, the key you used would have matched the settings stored in ei.cfg. That file tells the installer what edition and channel to install without prompting the user for that information. If he gets it to install at all, the the ei.cfg doesn't matter, but since he's using a different channel's key, and possibly a different edition, it could be a possible headache for him.

Some of what you say doesn't make sense. If he gets it to install at all? Huh? you don't even need to put in a key to install win 7. Are you thinking of xp? I get what you are saying but I'm confused what you mean in some of it. Xp was very strict you needed to use oem disk for oem keys and retail disk for retail keys, and professional for professional home for home. But with win 7 it is pretty liberal. I have used win 7 home prem to install professional before, and I have used retail disks with upgrade keys. The key will just activate or deactivate certain features. The only thing I'm not sure with win 7 is whether you can use oem disk with retail/upgrade keys.

I don't think you understood me either. I did a clean install with upgrade media and it wanted a full key not an upgrade key because I did a clean install, which is why I mentioned it. It should work for him.

Some of what you say doesn't make sense. If he gets it to install at all? Huh? you don't even need to put in a key to install win 7. Are you thinking of xp? I get what you are saying but I'm confused what you mean in some of it. Xp was very strict you needed to use oem disk for oem keys and retail disk for retail keys, and professional for professional home for home. But with win 7 it is pretty liberal. I have used win 7 home prem to install professional before, and I have used retail disks with upgrade keys.

All I'm saying is to try it out and see. If he does have a problem, it's going to be because of one file that tells the installer which channel and edition should be installed. It's called ei.cfg, it's in the \Sources folder.

And by "If he gets to install at all" simply meant that if he tried it and it worked with his key then what I'm saying was of no concern afterall. again, back to the try it out and see approach.

As for whether Win7 asks for a key.. I don't remember, but I do know that ei.cfg causes it to bypass the screen where it asks you what edition you want to install.

As for whether Win7 asks for a key.. I don't remember, but I do know that ei.cfg causes it to bypass the screen where it asks you what edition you want to install.

It will ask but you can just leave the field blank and go on to the next screen. It's quite handy because you can try win 7 on older machines to see if it works on them or not. But you still have to input a key within 30 days and activate your copy.

It will ask but you can just leave the field blank and go on to the next screen. It's quite handy because you can try win 7 on older machines to see if it works on them or not. But you still have to input a key within 30 days and activate your copy.

I knew you could leave it blank. But does auto-installing Home Premium based on the ei.cfg settings cause a problem when trying to use a Professional key later on?

I knew you could leave it blank. But does auto-installing Home Premium based on the ei.cfg settings cause a problem when trying to use a Professional key later on?

When I did something like that it just disabled some features. I installed with ultimate disk but put in a home prem key later on and it just disabled all the features that home prem doesn't use.

Back