• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silky Smooth Scroll Wheel Mice?

Joined
Feb 24, 2013
Messages
13
I was at a shop today and noticed a couple of Logitechs and a couple of Microsoft mice had scroll wheels that were really smooth, really just wheels without a single bump. But they were both wireless and I'm looking for a wired mouse. I've also forgotten what models they were but they could have been the m705 logitech and the microsoft mouse 600 but I'm not sure.

I wanted to ask you if you're familiar with any other mice that are super smooth on their scroll wheel as I don't like the bumpy scroll wheels.
 
The logitech gsaming mice (G9 and G9x) both have the ability to disable the clicks with a switch on the bottom. Not sure of any other logitech models that have this though.

As for the older MS mice that were like this, the scroll wheels become really iffy after a while. They start sticking and not scrolling properly. Not sure if they have fixed this in the newer models.
 
I bought an MS 3500 and I hate it. Sometimes now it doesn't even actually scroll even though I'm scrolling the wheel. It's annoying and I'll never buy another MS mouse again.

Logitech's almost always have clicks when you scroll. The MS mice I've tried out at the stores now do not click when you scroll; they have the "free scrolling" wheels.
 
The Logitech Performance MX can change between smooth and clicky - but it's wireless... :(
 
Does the G500, and others with this kind of no-bump scroll, allow the scroll wheel to click-once-and float?

Also is the G500 sensitive enough that it can be used in bed, like a cheaper basic logitech I have and unlike a crappy HP mouse I also unfortunately have?

Thanks to you all for the input.
 
Last edited:
The G5/G500 has a latching button that turns the ratchet on and off, if thats what your asking.

Yes, the G5/G500 works on nearly every surface I've used it on, and that includes carpet.
 
The G5/G500 has a latching button that turns the ratchet on and off, if thats what your asking.

I'm not asking that, but it's close.

Turning a ratchet on and off, as far as I understand, would mean that you can have either a bumpy scroll or a silky smooth scroll. So say you're gaming and you need to have something to easily change weapons with, you'd have a button beneath the mouse the switch the bumpy scroll on.

What I mean is this: can the mouse have the scroll on silky smooth (no bumps whatsoever) while at the same time allow you to press the scroll once, just once, to allow you to move throughout the browser page by just moving the mouse in all sorts of directions, and then when you want to return to the world where clicking is necessary, you press the scroll once again?
 
The G9 (and I think G500) have their switches on the bottom of the mouse. The G700 has it on top, right below the scroll wheel.
 
I'm not asking that, but it's close.

Turning a ratchet on and off, as far as I understand, would mean that you can have either a bumpy scroll or a silky smooth scroll. So say you're gaming and you need to have something to easily change weapons with, you'd have a button beneath the mouse the switch the bumpy scroll on.

What I mean is this: can the mouse have the scroll on silky smooth (no bumps whatsoever) while at the same time allow you to press the scroll once, just once, to allow you to move throughout the browser page by just moving the mouse in all sorts of directions, and then when you want to return to the world where clicking is necessary, you press the scroll once again?

If you are careful yes, but there is almost no resistance at all so it if you touch it even a little it will scroll again and deactivate. I say this assuming they have the same wheel as the Logitech G700 which I'm using.
The wheel is so slick if you flick it once it will continue going for a long time. With a hard flick you could probably keep it going for 30 seconds.
 
If you are careful yes, but there is almost no resistance at all so it if you touch it even a little it will scroll again and deactivate. I say this assuming they have the same wheel as the Logitech G700 which I'm using.
The wheel is so slick if you flick it once it will continue going for a long time. With a hard flick you could probably keep it going for 30 seconds.

Well, I'm OK with that, as long as it's not too incredibly sensitive that it deactivates by moving the mouse in the manner that it's done when floating over web pages.

Also, when you press your scroll wheel on your G700, does it give a mid-high pitched click sound or a bump kind of sound with a more bass tone to it? I know this kind of detail sounds compulsive of me to ask, but I need a somewhat mid-to-high pitched click sound for a physical medical condition.

An example of a low pitched scroll-press I don't like is the basic logitech mouse I have with me, and one I do like is the basic HP mouse I have, if there's any remote chance that gives someone here a frame of reference.

Hopefully someone can confirm that the G500 does what the G700.
 
Well, I'm OK with that, as long as it's not too incredibly sensitive that it deactivates by moving the mouse in the manner that it's done when floating over web pages.

Also, when you press your scroll wheel on your G700, does it give a mid-high pitched click sound or a bump kind of sound with a more bass tone to it? I know this kind of detail sounds compulsive of me to ask, but I need a somewhat mid-to-high pitched click sound for a physical medical condition.

An example of a low pitched scroll-press I don't like is the basic logitech mouse I have with me, and one I do like is the basic HP mouse I have, if there's any remote chance that gives someone here a frame of reference.

Hopefully someone can confirm that the G500 does what the G700.

I would say it is more of a mid range/bass sound.
 
I have a G500 and G700 sitting right next to me, and they both operate the EXACT same way.

Latch-Released = Spins forever, or as fast as you want it to.

Latch-Engaged = "bumpy" click (it's not loud and clicky like most MS mice are, and not inaudible as a Razer, I'd say right in between)

This is one of my favorite features of the logitech mice, something I missed on the G600.
 
Woah, neat. Didn't know there were mice that allow both smooth and click scroll. Might have to look into them as I like click scroll for gaming and precision, but smooth scroll for documents and web pages.
 
Gotta admit thats a little weird to require a certain sound. But yeah, the G700 has more of a lower frequency thump than high pitched click. Its a solid click so if hearing it is the issue it wont be because its a solid feel and definite click so there is no way you can click it and not know it.
 
I was at a shop today and noticed a couple of Logitechs and a couple of Microsoft mice had scroll wheels that were really smooth, really just wheels without a single bump. But they were both wireless and I'm looking for a wired mouse. I've also forgotten what models they were but they could have been the m705 logitech and the microsoft mouse 600 but I'm not sure.

I wanted to ask you if you're familiar with any other mice that are super smooth on their scroll wheel as I don't like the bumpy scroll wheels.

At work I use a wired logitech M-U007 which has a button that changes from bumpy to totally smooth scrolling.
 
another chime in for the G500. I like to use it in both modes. I leave it clicky most of the time, but when I'm web surfing and read an article and need to get back to the top of the page, I unlatch it and let the wheel glide back up. It really feels like with a single flick it will keep spinning forever.
 
G500 for the same reasons stated by squeakyl. The scroll wheel has a nice solid weighted feel to it when spinning freely. Click the button under it and you get a precise racketed scrolling option. If there's a better all around mouse, I haven't tried it yet.
 
Gotta admit thats a little weird to require a certain sound. But yeah, the G700 has more of a lower frequency thump than high pitched click. Its a solid click so if hearing it is the issue it wont be because its a solid feel and definite click so there is no way you can click it and not know it.

Same with the Logitech G500. Nice, low pitched click.
 
I have a G500 and G700 sitting right next to me, and they both operate the EXACT same way.

Latch-Released = Spins forever, or as fast as you want it to.

Latch-Engaged = "bumpy" click (it's not loud and clicky like most MS mice are, and not inaudible as a Razer, I'd say right in between)

This is one of my favorite features of the logitech mice, something I missed on the G600.

I have a G700 and cannot figure out how to get the Latch-Engage scroll wheel to work. I had an MX Revolution that all you needed to do was click the mouse wheel to switch modes, but this doesn't work with the G700. Help? :D
 
I have a G700 and cannot figure out how to get the Latch-Engage scroll wheel to work. I had an MX Revolution that all you needed to do was click the mouse wheel to switch modes, but this doesn't work with the G700. Help? :D

The button directly below the mouse wheel toggles smooth scroll.
 
Back
Top