Silicon Power

Quisling

n00b
Anyone had much luck with these? I've had one of their M.2 drives and it crapped out on me after 5 months, but they're stupid cheap and would be great to throw in some cheap builds if I just had a one-off lemon. Refurbing some old machines with spinners to get them usable as basic desktops and want to put as little money into it as possible without being junk.

I have several and they work OK. I had a couple that I had to RMA but the process was relatively smooth. I presume they lack the kind of DRAM caches that the better drives from Samsung, Crucial, or Intel have, but for light purposes like boot drives/media storage in portable devices where the primary purpose is casual web browsing, they should be fine. If I care about squeezing out enthusiast performance I'd look elsewhere.

There are little nits ... e.g. I notice that the 512GB S60 models don't have unique WWNs which probably don't affect most people as they are not intended for RAID arrays... but stuff like that makes me wonder just how many corners got cut on the way to the consumer.

there are better at a similar price range.

i've had really good luck with PNY's cs900 series.

I have several and they work OK. I had a couple that I had to RMA but the process was relatively smooth. I presume they lack the kind of DRAM caches that the better drives from Samsung, Crucial, or Intel have, but for light purposes like boot drives/media storage in portable devices where the primary purpose is casual web browsing, they should be fine. If I care about squeezing out enthusiast performance I'd look elsewhere.

There are little nits ... e.g. I notice that the 512GB S60 models don't have unique WWNs which probably don't affect most people as they are not intended for RAID arrays... but stuff like that makes me wonder just how many corners got cut on the way to the consumer.

Yeah, not doing anything important with them. Planning on refurbing some cheap Ivy Bridge Optiplexes for friends/family members who need a cheap system as Christmas gifts. I just didn't want a $10 difference to be the complete deal breaker between cheap but functional and total garbage, though if I can get away with cheaper for something I'm gifting of course I'll take it.

Back