Silicon Graphics SGI OCTANE

Discussion in 'eBay Auctions' started by erek, May 25, 2019.

1. MixManSC

MixManSC ║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█ Staff Member

Had no idea the old SGI system had much value. I actually have an old as dirt Indy somewhere or another. lol

erek likes this.
  2. Absalom

Absalom Gawd

These were even sought after 15 years ago, if just for nostalgia factor and, of course, IRIX. Most my IRC buddies back then were *nix nerds, so having one of these was a status symbol. Now it looks like they can be flipped.

KATEKATEKATE likes this.
  3. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I still have this purple one, sold the brown one last year to a collector.

sgi.jpg

KATEKATEKATE likes this.
  4. Unabomber

Unabomber 2[H]4U

The old O2 workstations still have significant value in the area of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance research.

A lot of groups out there still have old Avance DMX-type (Bruker) consoles that came with SGI O2's running that awful XWIN NMR software. I remember having to wait 20-30 minutes for a full fledged 3D Fourier transform processing of the data set to finish...

Still, for some groups, once those O2 workstations go, the spectrometer is crippled unless you can find another one to plug directly into the spectrometer to bypass the license restriction.

5. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Hey I have those logitech pedals... Logitech Driving Force from the ps2 gran turismo 3?

ChoGGi likes this.
  6. Zepher

I think that is what they are.
    this pic shows the wheel, and there is a yellow wheel over on the right, now sure which one is which, been so long.
    desk.jpg

DooLocsta likes this.
  7. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Jesus dude you are living in the past! LMFAO. Yeah I have the same wheel but mine is blue and for ps2, whereas I think yours was for PC? Not sure but it looks exactly the same but the yellow rubber is blue on mine.
    I swear I had the other wheel on the left as well. Don't have it anymore though.

8. Zepher

Lol, that pic was taken around 2001 or so.

elite.mafia likes this.
  9. KATEKATEKATE

KATEKATEKATE Limp Gawd

SGI kit has gotten pricey! I owned/resold a whole bunch of Indy/Indigo2/Octane/O2 workstations back around 2000-2003. They were incredibly cheap and plentiful then... not collectors items at all at the time, just surplus iron that was barely worth more than scrap. I remember the awe of paying $50-100 for a system that had been going for five figures only a few years prior :eek:

10. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

I have seen you post this pic before and still love it. So many memories, I looked just like this.