• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Silenx G80 waterblock

I was curious how companies were planning to cool the extra ramdac on the g80 so I guess one large full coverage block is the solution. I was never a fan though of those types of blocks due to the high pressure drop but if someone can make a low restriction one that would be great. Also looks like its copper and aluminum, wonder why they didnt go with an all copper block. Good to see some products are in the works though :p
 
Aluminum and copper together in one block? Isn't that like every persons worst nightmare? :p

Sweet looking block though.
 
I li ke it. They could have machined the back a bit better though, so it didn't have those machine marks now.

Very impressive.
 
Daaang... that things sexay. Makes me want to get a G80 just so I could get the block :p
 
maybe a later revision of the block may have the copper core being nickel plated like Innovatek blocks to prevent corrosion? With a block that size, you really can't do much other than to use a light metal like aluminum to keep the weight down. (Copper's molar mass is roughly three times as high as aluminum)

I'm curious as to what other monolithic block manufactures such as Alphacool, Aqua-Computer, Innovatek, Danger Den and EK are going to do :)
 
yuck, I would have rather they made an all aluminum block then a mixed one with them in direct contact.
 
I'll wait for another.. I will definetly be w/c the 8800gtx when I get it though. That waterblock looks ok.. but they didn't even bother to clean it up after it was cnc'd. You can still see all the router marks in it on the underside. Once you have the dimensions, they aren't really hard or expensive to make, but I bet they're charging a pretty penny for it. If I was back at my internship for the summer, I'd make a nice block assuming I could get the proper dimensions.
 
How are they expecting the water to flow through the copper GPU section? Looks kinda like there'll be coolant running quickly over the top, and not much happening in the channels. :(
 
RickyJ said:
How are they expecting the water to flow through the copper GPU section? Looks kinda like there'll be coolant running quickly over the top, and not much happening in the channels. :(
I was looking at that as well. To me, it looks like a poorly thought out design, althought it might work 'decently'. From the way the water channels flow into it, the water would just flow over the top and not expell the warm water out from the troughs very efficiently. A in-line finned design or cut channel design would work better.. something like you see on cpu water blocks.. like this design.

http://www.insanewb.com/waterblock/cpu/peltier/alvaro/images/av-tec_002.jpg
 
This looks like one of those blocks designed for those who believe that performance is of no concern. As long as it looks really great, it's worth every penny to these individuals.

I'll never understand the mentality, but certainly to each his own, and if a company can profit from such products, all the better.

Danger Den already has an 8800 block done or very nearly done and it was shown at the GeForce LAN earlier today. It looks to have a copper base plate and an acetal/Delrin top, and looks to be slightly smaller than this block.
 
wait a minute..
dsc02120largerx5bd1.jpg


2 sli connectors. That could mean quad sli with 4 cards, or sli which needs 2 bridges.
 
Bbq said:
wait a minute..
2 sli connectors. That could mean quad sli with 4 cards, or sli which needs 2 bridges.

It's SLI that needs two bridges.
 
Very pretty block..

looks even better on the card..

wonder what DD will come up with so we don't have to mix metals
 
Well, they're getting 30c cooler than the stock HSF, so it can't be that bad. Assuming I'm understanding the german right (I have about a year and a half of high school german).
 
30C cooler is not really helpful when you don't know anything about the rest of the loop. Maybe they placed the radiator in ice water...
 
Ockie said:
It's SLI that needs two bridges.
The additional connector is for physics/tri-SLi (rumoured).

We'll find out in about...40 minutes.
 
RickyJ said:
How are they expecting the water to flow through the copper GPU section? Looks kinda like there'll be coolant running quickly over the top, and not much happening in the channels. :(

but then, is it geared towards a high-flow crowd where water velocity WILL make the water just flow over the top of the copper core, or is it for the low-flow crowd, where water goes through there at a leisurely pace, at which point the direction the fins on the core are pointing and the bunch of switchbacks in the channel don't matter as much?
 
That is one sick looking unit. Never heard of these guys before, they look like they make some solid stuff.
 
Looks really nice, I'm itching to buy a block like that for my future rig (one that cools the chip and ram chips simultaneously). Havn't seen many like that.
 
edit: very very pretty block... lol.

[rant]
ever since I bought a silent X .0001 DB 9000 CFM fan and found that it produced more sound then pumped air, I have never used a silent X product. I was ashamed to fork over a beautiful HR-01 w/ a Silent X 12cm fan to an overclocking customer of mine, but i didnt have the time to order another better fan. He didnt seem to un happy with the noise, and given that it was an atholon fan that was cranked to the max already, he was used to the noise, but it sure pissed me off.

And look at the design of the actual heat transfer zone for the GPU on the block, its terrible! Idle water between fins, and a high pressure zone at the bottem of the, with a low pressure zone at the top. Blegh! You'd be MUCH better off getting the DD full coverage block over that anyday! Im not saying your gonna get poor temps. the sheir ammount of the aluminum will ensure heat will get into the water, its just. so un-efficient! a huge waste of MY copper and a senseless upping of the cost!

Im sorry, this gets my lowest rating ever. four thumbs up.
[/rant].
 
Aluminum and copper in one block in direct contact ??? Doesnt sound like a very good idea to me . :eek:
 
crap looking block to be honest, and it looks extremely bad for flow rates.

The EK block looks far superior, hell even DD's looks better than this thing.
 
Back
Top