• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silent or Super Quiet CPU Cooler

mt_100

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
342
I have an Athlon X2 5200+ and do not OC at all. I don't like how loud the stock AMD cooler is, so, any ideas for a silent, or super quiet one that is reasonably priced?
 
A couple things before considering a new fan:

Have you tried any sort of fan control through BIOS or speedfan? Also, is Cool 'n Quiet enabled?

If you're still having problems, might I suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185125

I used this in a couple AMD builds and they are definitely quieter than stock. You can also try something like the Scythe Ninjas which are also known to be silent.
 
I went into the BIOS on my Asrock board and it does have something called "Quiet CPU'. I enabled it and set the temp to 50C but have not noticed a difference. Not really sure what it does.
I don't have cool and quiet loaded, need to find the drivers for that. Problem is I heard you suffer like 30% performance loss running it and I don't want that.
 
Get the Scythe Ninja 2 - its included stock fan is a Slipstream 1200 RPM (max), which is extremely quiet and practically inaudible when undervolted to 7v.
 
Do you want it silent at full load too, or just normal usage? C'n'Q works very well and if needed the CPU comes back to full speed in a split second. The OEM Phenom II heatsink actually worked very well for me for 5 days.
 
What do you mean five days? Did it fail or did you just change it?

I want it to be as quiet as possible when I am not using it. Guess I will look into Cool N Quiet.
 
I had an AMD 5200 with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64pro heatsink and i can vouch for its silence.
 
Back
Top