• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silent HSF for Media Center

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 16, 2003
Messages
9,542
I've recently been on a quest for about a month and a half to decrease the power consumption and heat created by my media center, as well as simplify it. I had some issues with noise coming from my HSF on the CPU as well as the PSU was loud.

I'm looking for a HSF for the CPU that is quiet and effective for an E6300 (And greater for future upgrades).

I'm tempted to get the SilenX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226026

But I'd like to get some opinions.

I've been on a sort of buying spree recently with parts.

DG45ID motherboard
640GB AAKS drive
Antec 380w Earthwatts
Logitech Harmony 880
All that's left is a new case and this HSF.

The case I'm planning on getting with my next paycheck = Antec Fusion which is $169 right now.
 
Go fanless with a Scythe Ninja or Thermalright HR-01 ( whatever the latest revision is) as these are the best for low air-flow situations. You want a heatsink with widely spaced fins and a slow spinning fan ( or no fan) for the quietest cooling.
 
I have a Ninja and can run a E6600 with no fan easy. I think low 40C's is highest temp went.

This looks to be about the same thing as Ninja I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185074

They have a smaller one that might be good too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185046

My Ninja was not too hard to put in because I had a removable mobo tray so I could do the push-pin thing with trying to contort my hand into any corners. If your case is small/tight almost any of the larger coolers might be a witch to put it or get out.
 
A reason not to is that it won't cool as well as a full height Ninja ( which is in the first link by abcdelight) and considering you want to eventually upgrade, it would be wise to get the big brother. Unless you're restricted by height, of course.
 
Back
Top