• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Silent Gigabit NAS?

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
1,308
Wondering if there is such as thing. Not Silent maybe but Fanless.
 
freenas on a pc with gigabit. lower end cpu. large coper sink. no fan. and freenas booting off CF cards.

but cooling hdd's would be a tad harder.

or are u meaning purely pre built nas?
 
Pre-built, yup. Sad to say not all members are rabid geeks :p
 
Or one of these? Here
I have a DS101 which has been running non-stop for a couple of years without a hitch (touchwood) so i think their products are pretty reliable.
I can't find any noise data though.
 
willsy said:
Or one of these? Here
I have a DS101 which has been running non-stop for a couple of years without a hitch (touchwood) so i think their products are pretty reliable.
I can't find any noise data though.


Looks like a portable humidifier :D
 
And needs more than 4 drive support....but looks interesting.
 
jmroberts70 said:
What about the TerraStation ?


(Quote from site: "Large Silent Fan...")

If the Terastation is silent then my arse is bright blue. It sounds like a jet engine and I gave mine away a looong time ago.

I'm leery of the Gigabit Linkstation for this reason. Forum opinions seem to vary on it... some say it's silent but others say it's too noisy. And I realise that there are different definitions of silent depending on what sort of environement you live in. Consider me at the more intolerant level: My house is extremely quiet. Put it this way - I can hear a Maxtor 160gb drive spinning in a fanless alloy enclosure from across the room. And I can't deal with any more noise than that.
 
willsy said:
Or one of these? Here
I have a DS101 which has been running non-stop for a couple of years without a hitch (touchwood) so i think their products are pretty reliable.
I can't find any noise data though.

I saw these mentioned in conjunction with being able to put Slimserver on which would actually be pretty handy. Few people seem to have noise knowledge though.

Currently I'm VERY interested in this as it is fanless and as a bonus comes with Slimserver installed:
http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1038

But the capacity is too low and LAN speeds apparently isn't too hot (and it's not Gigabit either) :(
 
Sorry guys, it shouldn't just have been a one-liner, should have explained in more detail what I want.

The purpose of this is to get rid of my Win2003 server, currently running on a Sonata + dampingmats / 4 x 120Gb 2.5" array / A64 3000+ generally silenced config. It's too noisy in my setup now. My Macs run silent and I want that. I've abandoned plans to try and make a better sorta-HTPC than the Mac Mini as the noise tradeoff just isn't worth it for me (Test-rehousing of another Sonata setup in the Silverstone LC20 is is not proving to be an improvement, but who knows I might look to configure it as an on-demand TV recorder or something which I can just switch on when necessary).

So I want a fanless NAS as far as network storage is concerned, no more Windows servers. If the NAS can be loaded with Slimserver then it's a bonus as I have Squeezeboxes... but if not, no biggie. And since there will be frequent traffic, I'd like Gigabit... but I have to say that silence is more important than Gigabit. If there's no Gigabit solutions which match but if there is a fanless NAS (and ideally the drive will be rubber-mounted) with excellent 100mbit performance I might have to opt for that.

I also forgot to put in the required capacity: 400Gb is what I need.
 
Found what I wanted while searching myself (like almost all other queries I post up on Hardforums, oddly enough... maybe it's the way I phrase'em).
 
Ronco said:
Found what I wanted while searching myself (like almost all other queries I post up on Hardforums, oddly enough... maybe it's the way I phrase'em).

What was it?
 
Spectre said:
What was it?

yes please, let us know. saying you found something doesnt help for searching for the rest of us. actually letting us know what you were looking for us helps the rest of us greatly (ok, at least me :) )
 
Back
Top