Silent computer?

I put the case inside the area in the desk and my case temps rose 10C to 38c. Is this too high for a case temp?

Putting it in there really reduced the noise, but not enough. Also, the case and CPU temps are relatively high. I am going to order that cable sometime soon.

edit: Also, the majority of the noise is coming from the hard drives (as I previously said). The noise is more of a high-pitched whine than anything, and is the only thing I can hear through my closed headphones (I am looking at an open pair though).

Will gromets reduce the whine of the hard drives?

Also, maybe Scroatdog can check this, I think my case may be too tight for the grommets to fit without damaging my beautiful case :(

Originally posted by zachary80
Also, maybe Scroatdog can check this, I think my case may be too tight for the grommets to fit without damaging my beautiful case :(

Zachary80,

Yeah, the 3 1/2 bays are definitely too tight for rubber grommets. They make rubber-type screws to mount fans and such, but you will notice that when you slide the hard drives in there, it's a TIGHT fit. I'm moving to watercooling as soon as my parts arrive, so my hard drives are going into the 5 1/4 bays with the help of this:

35-118-213-01.JPG

You can do a Google search of teh reviews, but people actually reported lower HDD noise. Can't be too much though, since it's not encased, but still, helps me so I can fit my radiator in the 3 1/2 bay.

If you're still struggling with noise, you can alwyays try a fan controller. I understand you're working with the limitation of your front door, but they make it in both 3 1/2 bay and 5 1/4 bay varieties. You may be able to mount it in there less-than flush.

I can't put my hard drives in my 5.25 bays because I have 3 of them plus 2 CD drives.

Also, most of the noise (once I close the door) is the whine of the hard drives, not the fans. The case fans are indeed quiet, and my HSF has a rhoebus stickin out the back of my case :)

Best supply is either the Fortron 530W at Newegg... mod it to drive the fans at 7V and use fan isolators instead of screws.

Or get the TT550W at Directron, replace the fan with a Papst 120mm and again use fan isolators and drive the fan directly at 7V.

While your at it, get a SuperLanboy or SLK3700 case using 2 more Papst 120mm fans running 7v w/isolators.

You can get the isolators cheap at McMaster $9.71 for 20. McMaster also has Melamine sound insulation, mineral-spirit based sound dampner, and polymerized nonconductive ducting hose for further modding/cooling/quieting/ventilating needs.

get 2 larger HDisks, instead of trying to fit 4 disks, which are blobking your airflow.

Make sure any grill's/filters you have are opened up/removed, dont impede airflow. Use some fullsize AC filter material as it will stop dust but not block airflow.

Originally posted by uwackme
Best supply is either the Fortron 530W at Newegg... mod it to drive the fans at 7V and use fan isolators instead of screws.

Or get the TT550W at Directron, replace the fan with a Papst 120mm and again use fan isolators and drive the fan directly at 7V.

While your at it, get a SuperLanboy or SLK3700 case using 2 more Papst 120mm fans running 7v w/isolators.

You can get the isolators cheap at McMaster $9.71 for 20. McMaster also has Melamine sound insulation, mineral-spirit based sound dampner, and polymerized nonconductive ducting hose for further modding/cooling/quieting/ventilating needs.

get 2 larger HDisks, instead of trying to fit 4 disks, which are blobking your airflow.

Make sure any grill's/filters you have are opened up/removed, dont impede airflow. Use some fullsize AC filter material as it will stop dust but not block airflow.

:rolleyes:
Cooler Master ATC-111C-SX1 > *

I am definitely not giving up my hard-drives or case.

As for hard-drives, I would need to get 2 160gb+ (8mb) plus a 80gb boot, which totally negates the purpose of buying new hard drives.

I will look into what else you have said,

Well, quiet, aluminum, and lots of hard drives don't mix.

Have you considered a file server, so you can move all those disks out of your main rig?

Also, the heavier the material, the quieter it is. Steel is heavier and blocks more noise than aluminum, and also tends to rattle less due to its stiffness. My Lian Li PC60USB rattles, and it also racks with just a few pounds of pressure fround my hands. It would take a hammer to budge my SX835II.

I would use a quick (but single platter) drive for boot and programs, and have network mounts to all your other files. Do you really need to open that photoshop file at 70MB/s, or will 10 MB/s suffice? You obviously wouldn't want it for boot or programs, but for file dumping, a file server is hard to beat; a single platter hard drive is hard to beat for noise.

We're giving you suggestions, but you refuse to accept them. No case change? No HDD change? Only fans?

Fans are a major source of noise, but they are not the alpha and omega of computer quietness. I have nothing but Panaflo L1A's at 7v, and my computer is very quiet. It wasn't just the fans that did it either. I also mounted my pump with a certain type of foam, and isolated my power supply and hard drive (singular).

Originally posted by kleptophobiac
Well, quiet, aluminum, and lots of hard drives don't mix.

Have you considered a file server, so you can move all those disks out of your main rig?

Also, the heavier the material, the quieter it is. Steel is heavier and blocks more noise than aluminum, and also tends to rattle less due to its stiffness. My Lian Li PC60USB rattles, and it also racks with just a few pounds of pressure fround my hands. It would take a hammer to budge my SX835II.

I would use a quick (but single platter) drive for boot and programs, and have network mounts to all your other files. Do you really need to open that photoshop file at 70MB/s, or will 10 MB/s suffice? You obviously wouldn't want it for boot or programs, but for file dumping, a file server is hard to beat; a single platter hard drive is hard to beat for noise.

We're giving you suggestions, but you refuse to accept them. No case change? No HDD change? Only fans?

Fans are a major source of noise, but they are not the alpha and omega of computer quietness. I have nothing but Panaflo L1A's at 7v, and my computer is very quiet. It wasn't just the fans that did it either. I also mounted my pump with a certain type of foam, and isolated my power supply and hard drive (singular).

(I already posted this once but it did not go through, so this is a shortened version)

I have an Athlon 700mhz that I could move to the closet. In concept I could put my 30gb and my two 120gb w/ their RAID0 card in it.

What should I run to make it a good file server? I was thinking WinXP and RealVNC.

Will my raid setup withstand the move?

Is a wired connection (10/100, di704) enough for watching movies, listening to WAvs, photo editing, and a little movie editing?

I am assuming that my 80gb is multi-platter. Is there a way to find out?

Also, a problem with using the old computer as a file server (or at least trying it out) is that I need to find some drive rails if I am putting more than two hard drives into it.

I am assuming that my 80gb is multi-platter. Is there a way to find out?

Also, a problem with using the old computer as a file server (or at least trying it out) is that I need to find some drive rails if I am putting more than two hard drives into it.

Open it up :p

inside.JPG

If I owned a gun, knew whewre you lived, had time to go visit you, I would shoot your case into 10000 pieces, that is just insane! CLEAN THOSE WIRES UP!

Originally posted by KINgGh0sT
If I owned a gun, knew whewre you lived, had time to go visit you, I would shoot your case into 10000 pieces, that is just insane! CLEAN THOSE WIRES UP!

settle down, it's hard with 7 drives; plus I have been moving drives in and out mutliple times a day

the OC part is a joke, but the fact that it has no fans, and can dissapate 150w with passive cooling is quite impressive

The entire case is a heatsink connected with many heatpipes... of course it can dissipate heat. The ICE system from shuttle is much less surface area and performs the same way.

Also, you do not need any intake fans. It has been tested and proven that a system with only exhaust fans is more effecient than cooling with a mix of intake and exhaust, and systems with only intake fans perform horribly. Basically, a blowhole and power supply fan are the only fans needed to keep a pc cool running. My computer is built upon this setup, only I use 2 120mm blowholes and have a radiator on the intake.

Hopefully I will be trying the file server idea tnoight and I'll let you know............also, I figure I can put the file server in the closet and see how that does with the noise

are there any major windows settings I should change to make it perform better as a file server?

Originally posted by Burnin' Luv
Check out http://www.silentpcreview.com for a lot of info on silencing PCs. Make sure to check out the forums.

Good link, I found a couple things there to help me out

Quiet HDs, quiet fans, water cooling, and noise dampening material equals quietness...

Ok, I set up my old computer as a file server with 3 of the hard drives and have this computer in my desk. The only noise I can hear now is the 80gb in this computer.

Now I just have to decide whether it is worth the speed reduction, and watch the tempeature of the old computer

Any particular settings to change to make it quicker to access files over the network? I won't use the computer directly at all.

Also, would running FAH full-time have much effect on it's ability to serve files quickly?

edit: temperatures are stabe at 50C (load, cpu) and 27C (load, case) with stock voltage/fsb

Back