Silent Case

Prose

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I'm literally looking to simply dump my current entire build into a new case, one which is hopefully MUCH quieter...

Any suggestions at all is extremely helpful. I'd ideally like to be able to hardly notice the thing instead of its current buzz/whine which I simply can't sleep with!

Thanks in advance gents!

Just got a 1200 and is it pretty damn quiet for the air it moves. If you don't mind dropping serious coin, Lian Li is the best for silence.

Antec P180 series sets the standard for quiet cases in terms of sound dampening.

Lian Li makes good aluminum cases, but there aren't many aluminum cases that are quiet. Aluminum is expensive so companies tend to make really thin aluminum panels which doesn't dampen noise very well.

yea i had been looking at the P180.

Schizrade you're tlaking about the Antec 1200 right?

P18x series is going to be quieter than both the Antec 1200 and anything built by Lian-Li.

should i grab some 3rd party fans to boot? id ideally (minus my PC P&C psu) like to hardly hear this thing...

If you get an Antec case? Definitely. Tricools (that they come with) are shit, pure and simple. Get some aftermarket fans (Scythe, Panaflo, or Yate Loons if you don't want to spend a ton) and a simple rheobus fan controller for ~$20.

Awesome alright time to queue up the ordering. Thanks a bunch guys!

Be prepared to do a little modding if you want more airflow. The P180/182 has some restrictive points that can be taken care of without too much issue, the fan filter cover doors, for example.

I really like my P180B, it's been through 3 or 4 builds (I lose track) and has been a good purchase.

P18x series is going to be quieter than both the Antec 1200 and anything built by Lian-Li.

Generally true, but there are actually several Lian Li cases built for silence that almost certainly challenge the P18x series in that respect. It's a great case -- I had a P182 for a while -- but it's not the end all be all.

If it isn't too small then Antec P182 is surely quietest case without modding.
For fans Scythe Slip Stream M/1200rpm is superior (and cheap) with fan controller, as only minus it's better to avoid running it in horizontal position because sleeve bearing doesn't like that.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article832-page3.html#SS-M

Lian Li makes good aluminum cases, but there aren't many aluminum cases that are quiet. Aluminum is expensive so companies tend to make really thin aluminum panels which doesn't dampen noise very well.
Aluminum's acoustic flaw is its low density (1/3rd of steel) increasing resonance/vibration tendency of panels but that's easy to correct with some damping (still resulting case with lower weight), unlike bad noisy case design which can't be corrected.
And I haven't heard about any aluminum case with thinner than 1mm material thickness (no need to save in transport costs) and serious aluminum cases use clearly thicker material in most structures. That while cheap/generic steel cases are thinner than that as rule (and some rather expensive TTs) and I haven't heard about any steel case using thicker material because of sure problem of excessive weight so if anything most aluminum cases use actually thicker materials than steel cases.

Get a P182 while you still can (unless you like the abortion that is the P183.. if so wait for it)

Sincerely appreciate all the help and suggestions here.
I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering a P182 this afternoon along with some Scythe fans and maybe while im at it an extra HDD and some more RAM for this older comp. I might infact buy two P182 cases if these things are actually going to be discontinued, as this current computer is going to become my file server / media machine and i'll be building a new box in the coming months.

Thank again guys!

I have this exact set up with the P182 w/ 2x800rpm Scythe Slipstreams as intake and 1x1200rpm Scythe Minibea as exhaust. It cools well enough for gaming and casual use. In terms of quietness, it's definitely above and beyond the vast majority of computers out there, however, it is still audible at certain angles. If you're hoping to sleep with the computer on...it can still be too loud. I used to have my bed about 6 feet from my computer and with a direct path for the case noise to travel to my ears. It was WAY too loud for me. However, putting it across the room...maybe 12 feet away and having things obstruct it a little (i.e. my desk) it is pretty hard to hear it.

Other things to keep in mind that add to the noise in your case are the CPU heatsink/fan and the GPU fan. Those are currently the loudest things in my case. As other people have mentioned, getting a fan controller can be a great way to make the cpu fan bearable...or you could throw some slipstreams on there too. For the GPU, rivatuner is your friend :).

so i think my CPU and ironically chipset cooler are too loud here! i installed the new case and fans and the thing is definately quieter but it also seems to be at a louder pitch which i am finding more irritating! (that or im just listening intently and thusly nitpicking...)

i dont have a fan controller, and am honestly not entirely familiar with what purpose they serve

anyone want to illuminate for me?

so i think my CPU and ironically chipset cooler are too loud here! i installed the new case and fans and the thing is definately quieter but it also seems to be at a louder pitch which i am finding more irritating! (that or im just listening intently and thusly nitpicking...)

i dont have a fan controller, and am honestly not entirely familiar with what purpose they serve

Sounds like hard drive(s) to me. Older ones are especially bad for having a high pitched noise when they are on.

so i think my CPU and ironically chipset cooler are too loud here! i installed the new case and fans and the thing is definately quieter but it also seems to be at a louder pitch which i am finding more irritating!
Small chipset fans are rarely quiet...
And when they wear enough... oh boy that shrieking noise of Asus chipset fans!

Fans are rarely quiet at stock speed and those ones with low enough speed for that might not always move enough air (like in hotter weather) or ambient noise might be able to cover noise of fans at higher speed than that in which situation you could increase cooling.
Also sometimes lowest speed fan of serie might not have smoothest motor sound making slowed down higher speed version quieter.

I've got a P180 Mini and a 1200. Both are great cases, and the stock fans are fine. Not sure what the post above is all about, but I haven't had any problems with any of the Tri-Cools I have. I have the P180 Mini and the 1200 on my desk, one at each end. Both are running Q9300's @ 3.0GHz with TRUE's and Scythe 1200RPM fans on the TRUE's. The only thing I can hear from either case is the 4870 in the 1200. I'm particularly found of the Big Boy fans in the top of these cases.

get cosmos 1000 at cooler master store for better price. It's a better choice for silent.

even the most quiet cases are probably too loud to have on while sleeping, unless you're in NY or something like that. I think with quieter hard drives my FT01 is barely noticeable as are any of the antec performance series. If you decide to go with the P182, it'd probably be a good idea to replace the stock fans with the scythe slow speed fans already recommended here.

Your whining noise is most likely from the hdd. Go to silentpcreview.com for everything you need to know about how to fix that.

It can also be the psu fan, which can be replaced by a nexus or similar

Back