Silent 30" LCD

paxophobe

n00b
I had a terrible experience with a 3007WFP I got off of ebay. Had I done some research I may have avoided it. But, DAMN, that thing has a noisy power supply! Who the hell let that thing get out of the factory? It would buzz at all levels. At full brightness it sounded absolutely hellish, the other levels were okay but unreasonably loud in comparison to the 2407wfp (which is dead silent at 100% brightness, I just tune with the nvidia driver).

I'm considering...

LG W3000H
HP LP3005C
Apple 30"
Doublesight DS-305W
Gateway XHD3000

I've heard the Apple is silent, but, often times has a strange green pixel problem to it (haven't seen this in person yet so I don't know how to describe it).

I've read reports of the Gateway and Samsung monitors being noisy, I've had bad experiences with both brands in the past.

Does the HP LP3065 buzz or whine or hum or whatever? I read that it was silent at 100% brightness which for me is DOABLE because I can tweak it using Ntune or whatever. It'd be nice to ear from an ex-3007wfp owner who found the noise unbearable. Any 3007WFP owners switch to the LP3065 and are happy?

100% brightness?
I would worry more about your eyes than your ears...;)

Hey RadXge,

Thanks for the concern, but its not actually at true 100%. Indeed, its set to 100% in the OSD but then I use Ntune to turn it down about to where 40% on the OSD would be.

Using this trick got rid of all the buzzing on my Dell 2407wfp and saved me much angst. Unfrotunately it didn't work with the 3007wfp.

I've read one report that the hp lp3005c is silent ONLY at 100% which would be perfect for me. (of course silent at any brightness level would be ideal but we leave in a world that doesn't seem to agree with me there)

Anyone know if this is true?

My ears are incredibly sensitive to sound. Right now, my computer just has two 120mm fans running at 800rpm and it's still too loud for me, heh. Passive video cards coolers. I can deal with some sounds but computer noise drives me crazy. In particular, power supplies that buzz. That's my real pet peeve.

I have had the Apple 30" for a few months. I have had no problems with it. It runs completely silent, however, I have seen ONE thread about a buzzing power supply. The power brick isn't a part of the monitor, and mine is always under my desk. I have never heard it.

ARTX

I've been using an Apple 30" monitor for a little over 2 years and no problems or audible sound from either the monitor or power brick here either. I remember reading about that green pixel problems, and if I remember right, it was related to DVI signal noise - don't remember if they reached conclusion whether the problematic component was display/cable or video card. Also, Apple switched to a newer 30" panel late 2005/early 2006, so it's possible that the pixel problem is related only to the older panel type.

Back