Silent 3.5" HDD 3TB+

anarkii

n00b
Say I'm a bit sensitive to the noise when I'm working during the night and my WD RE4 isn't acceptable in this regard (not surprised it's loud, it's a server HDD after all), I've tried to silence it by hanging in the 5.25" bay using 5mm paracord as a suspension, there was some imporvement, but it's still too noisy, so I'm looking for HDD replacement, I'd prefer capacity approx. 3 TB.

I was thinking about new WD Blue (former Green), but I've been told that the latest batches are quite noisy too.

I'm also able to get the old 3TB WD Green, some dealers stil lhave them in stock

Toshiba 3.5" 3TB (DT01ACA300) should be (supposedly) quiet too, despite the fact that it's 7200 RPM model, I dunno, that would be my first HDD from Toshiba.

Which one of these models I should give a shot ? Or is there some another, better option ?

I know that 2.5" drives should be, in general, quieter than 3.5" but it's approx. 60% extra cost, so I see it as a last resort :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you're seriously that sensitive, why not move your tower to a spot far enough away that you can't hear it?

Or buy some closed/isolating/noise canceling headphones?

Or get a better case?

Or add noise isolation to your case?

Or get a better desk?

Or enclose your rig in a place where it can breathe but won't be heard?

Or do more work, less listen?

Or RAID SSDs?

Seriously, just wtf @ the plethora of options available, many of which cost nothing. But hey, I guess it's the HDD that has issues...

Well, I've consideredt almost all things you mentioned :)

I can't move the case, got no other place for it except the bookshelf next to my table, so - it has to be Mini-ITX, thus, adding noise isolation or replacing it for bigger one allowing it isn't an option.

point 2 - can't stand headphones for any longer than a hour maybe, can't imagine wearing the for 5 hours or so + i don't want to be deaf... :)

point 5 - I might give it a try :-D

point 6 - as I said, need 3 TB of space, that'll be a bit pricey if I would go SSD only...

Can't put the case on the floor too, not enough space, I would be kicking all the time into it :)

As I said, got 3 TB 2.5" drive + 3.5" Himuro Mini + 5.25" Himuro as a last resort. Wanted to at least try 3.5" drive (I can return hardware for 2 weeks for a full refund for any reason), just needed some specific type to start with.

There is no such thing as a "silent" hard drive. Any spinning drive with moving heads will generate noise. You can achieve quiet..normally as a trade-off for speed.

You've gotten lots of good suggestions here - and then almost immediately written them off. There is no magic bullet for you here. Either you have to give up the space required to do noise damping / vibration isolation (nobody suggested suspending the drive - but you've already written off a larger case so its out of bound). Or you have to go with a slower drive (2.5" option). Or you have to relocate the machine to move the noise away from you.

BTW, the Greed/Red drives won't really be much quieter than what you have. In fact the green's might no noisier due to spinup/spindown/head-parking used to save energy.

Or - go with a big SSD. If silencing the thing is worth it to you - a 4TB Samsung can be had for ~$1,400.

PigLover: Let me explain, I'm not trying to achieve something that can't be achieved :) Thing is, I'm using SSD only systems (with no HDD, or for data only, which means 95% time off) for, say, 8 years maybe ? So I'm not that familiar with current HDDs available when it comes to the noise, it was never an issue for me. Now it is. So I'm trying to find some solution:

- Go to the hardforum, ask for some quiet 3.5" drives, tried and tested - order, for example two of them, eventually place them in Himuro and test. Satisfied ? Perfect ! Not satisfied ?

- Return them and go for 2.5" drive in Himuro Mini and Himuro Mini in Himuro :) Satisfied ? Perfect ! Not satisfied ?

- Return 2.5" drive, bend over, and pay extra for 3/4 TB SSD and that's it :)

Yes, I've immediately written off every suggestion I got here - because I've been already thinking them through.

The question is what part is making the noise you don't like? Is it just the drive itself or some vibration from the case? Seeing as you tried the paracord route I am guessing it is the drive. I had a Nanoxia Deep Silence case with 8 3.5" WD red drives and it was damn quiet, you could barely hear it over ambient noise.

Yes, it's drive itself as you said. I've forgot about the ambient noise - my "limit" is Noctua P14s as an outtake fan @ 400 RPM, case is in the bookshelf approx. 1 meter (3 feet 3⅜ inches) apart from my head :) I've ordered Himuro, I'll try it too, but I guess I'll have to test another 3.5" drives as I've mentioned above.

Deep Silence is a good choice, or Fractal R5, I've built several systems into these :)

If it has to be m-itx, might try a Define Nano case, non window version for max noise dampening.

mls1995: thanks for the tip.

Ranulfo: Define Nano is nice, I've built couple of systems with it, I'd love this one on my table but unfortunately, I'ts all occupied by a 32" LCD panel so I have to stick with Core 500 which fits into a bookshelf next to it.

I can't hear my WD Scorpio Blacks over the noise of my system fans. I think my LG BD burner is the loudest spinner in my box, especially when ripping BDs.

My suggestion is a set of 10 300GB Seagate Cheetahs to reach 3TB. They're old and slow but dirt cheap, but they should really help with the noise.

My suggestion is a set of 10 300GB Seagate Cheetahs to reach 3TB. They're old and slow but dirt cheap, but they should really help with the noise.

Oh my..
I have about 30+ of those I inherited (from a company we do research for) here at work in a mobile rack. Sounds like a jet engine at times.

Well maybe not that loud but ..

My WD 3tb RED and WD 5TB Purple are inaudible from my seating position, but my PC are not on my desk, but below, if i get closer they are audible.

As others have suggested, go with a NAS and place it away, as much as needed for you not to hear it, now a days there are 1 or 2 bay nas from Synology/Qnap that barely take any energy, and its small foot print allow you to place them almost anywhere.

Already got NAS, or a custom Windows server to be more specific, but stuff I need to run has to be on my PC :)

Himuro just arrived, so I'll try it with RE4 (guess it won't be silent enough), then I'll order Toshiba DT01ACA300 and next one will be WD RED.

From experience 7200 RPM Toshiba drives make more noise than most other drives. At least when it comes to seeks. Although I don't have this specific model.

So after I've tested several 3.5"and 2.5" HDDs I've ended up with following combination:

2.5" Seagate BarraCuda 2 TB in 5.25" Himuro with foam under the drive and piece of 2mm thick thermal pad between upper drive casing and himuro - to transfer heat + add little pressure to the center of the drive. It's barely audible even during the night in a quiet room.

case26413c.jpg

Last edited:
I remember this thread.....the paracord reference jogged my memory. Glad you got some closure. They do make 3TB-5TB 2.5" drives now.

Back