Silencing a SC846?

ponky

Limp Gawd
My home rack is already pretty quiet. Most of the noice come from SC846 and its fans. I already have SQ PSUs, but I'd like to replace the three fans behind the backplane. I'm using the chassis as JBOD, so I can safely remove the back fans I think.

I noticed that the back fans can be replaced easily. They're attached to cages with standard screws, however, middle fans don't have screws.

Has anyone replaced the middle fans using original Supermicro fan cages or do I have to do some modding to the chassis itself?

Are you using the SM JBOD #3 Controller? if not that should be #1 priority

Personally I ripped out the PSU and fanwall from my SC846 and replaced it with a standard ATX PSU and a new fan wall with 3 120mm quiet fans.

Personally I ripped out the PSU and fanwall from my SC846 and replaced it with a standard ATX PSU and a new fan wall with 3 120mm quiet fans.

I did the same thing. The way I did it is a bit ugly but it keeps me sane.

Is it possible to run a SC846/JBOD/Expander setup without the special SM JBOD board?

Changing the fans could risk affecting the air pressure. But I guess it wouldn’t be too much issue for a 4U.

I am getting a few 846 next week, need to silence them too

I'm using these for PWM fan contol, config is by dip switch (base speed, ramp up temp, etc).

Attachments

• fan_control.jpg
    fan_control.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 10
Did you set the fan mode to acoustic as well? That's supposed to quiet/slow the fans down.

I'm running a 2U SC216 and it's barely louder than a workstation with the 501p (non-sq) psu's. Your 4U case should have larger fans, and not need to spin them up as much.

Back