• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Silencer 370

Knuckle-Head

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
510
Looking for a little input here...
I wanted a cheap basic 'puter to use as a pfsense router. I purchased a re-certified Intel mb (w/ intel 10/100 lan-integrated graphics), 2 Intel pci Pro 1000 cards, old hd, 2gig basic ram and an E1200. A refurb Antec case w/ 380 Earthwatts ps filled it out.

A buddy's ps failed today, so I poped the 380 Earthwatts in. Good as new. I need to replace the ps for my pfsense router now.

I'm looking for a quiet, high '80 PLUS Certified' ps to run this very bare-bone system. I never had a problem with the Antec, but I have more experience with PC Power & Cooling (owned 470 Silencer, 510 Turbo Cool, 750 Silencer).

AnandTech's article caught my eye->
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3487&p=39

PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS370X 370W-$50.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703018

Antec earthwatts EA380-$40.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

FSP Group FSP400-60PFB-$60.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104056

From eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5, Im drawing ~70 watts.

Suggestions? Thanks!!
 
I would forget about the FSP unit, as the other two are much better. I'd probably go with the PCP&C since it's probably a bit better-quality than the EA380, but both are good PSUs.
 
Thanks for your reply,
I too think the PCP&C is the way to go. I'm a little uncomfortable because this system will draw so little power. Difficult to find a quiet efficient ps in the low-low power category.

Thanks again Zero82z for your time!
 
Blue Fox & davidhammock200

Thanks for pointing out the Corsair 400cx. I forgot about Corsair, and I have a 620HX! Or I should say 'had'. It went with my P5N-E sli/Xeon3060 gifted to my parents. Great, quiet ps... Solid computer.

It looks like either the Silencer 370 or the 400cx.
5 yr warranty on the Silencer 370. 3 yr warranty on the 400cx.
Both 100,00hrs MTBF.

I wish I could find a review on the Silencer 370. None to be had. After reading [H]'s take on the 400cx, I'm leaning towards the 400cx. I'm not in a hurry, but I'll order tomorrow to take advantage of the special price/shipping.
I need to find out a little about the Silencer 370 though...
 
After much thought, I ordered the Silencer 370. The 400cx would also have been an excellent choice, but I couldn't get by the lesser quality (cheaper/value) cap selection used in the 400cx vs the 450vx. And the Silencer 370 has a 5yr warranty vs the 400cx's 3yr warranty.

The warranty was the deciding factor.
 
Back
Top