signs of mobo failure?

g1tigi

Limp Gawd
Just curious, what are some signs of mobo failure?

I've been having some odd problems lately that I think might be due to my mobo (see sig) and not the indv components of my system. Here are the symptoms

1) on occasion, the system will try to POST, but then shut down, then turn on, then shut down...all cyclicly like this with each cycle being maybe 2-3 secs. At first I thought it was the vid card, but playing TF2 successfully on my 1920x1200 with everything on quickly dispelled that notion. This issue can be usually fixed by just randomly unplugging a monitor or fiddling with components in the case (like...pushing already tight connections)

2) one time, the system's sata-->ide? (jmicron HD controller either way...) controller couldn't recognize any of my hard drives, and so the system couldn't boot an OS. Again, this problem went away after unplugging stuff, opening the case, checking connections, and then putting everything back together

3) another time: the system couldn't POST because it couldn't handle the RAM clock speed (800mhz) on my DDR2 800 RAM; usually I only get this problem when I try to overclock the RAM/reduce the timings beyond normal levels. I let the system run at 667mhz for a few days. I then got problem #1 again after trying to reboot my system (so I could access the BIOS and boot win7 from my other hd...). So then I thought this was a RAM problem, but when later testing my RAM in individual pairs (2x kingston, 2x corsair), they worked just fine alone, and then worked fine at 800mhz together--in all cases the system booted.

So what gives? My only conclusion is that the mobo is getting flaky on me. I'm completely stumped. Sadly I don't have random sticks of RAM or video cards lying around to do more testing...

other notes about my system: 500W silverstone PSU, 2x other HD's (seagate 320gb, 40gb), IDE dvd drive

Sounds like it could be a mobo issue, although it could also be a PSU issue.

yeah psu was my only other prediction. I suppose the only thing I could do is try to hook up some more power-hungry components if I can get my hands on another vid card, for instance. Any tests I could run on either the psu or mobo though?

Could pick up a PSU tester and make sure the voltages look good.

For mobo, take it out of the case, maybe its grounding on something?

About 7 years ago I damaged a motherboard while installing it. I learned the hardway that you need all standoffs. Anyways, it would randomly blue screen on me (XP). I've also had motherboards just die and you can tell because the chasis/fans/lights will come on but there are no post codes or anything. If the cpu or memory was bad, you would get post codes.

thanks for the input...I'll have a closer look at the mobo later tonight. I suppose one thing that might support the mobo being the issue is that this rig has in fact been shoved into a smaller case and flown inside of luggage on a roundtrip over the pacific. I'd think the mobo would be the component feeling the most stress because of all the components attached and moving every time the luggage was (roughly) handled.

so for those wondering if a computer can make it on a flight in luggage without disassembling...

sorry for being vague...the rig had already been transferred back into my regular lian li case since its trans-pacific trip; it's already been taken apart and put back together (albeit in pieces and not at once) many times as well as I was fiddling with components and wiring :/

good point though

Back