*sigh* another bad gigabyte DS3?

damonposey

2[H]4U
my first ds3 I ordered from newegg would not turn on. RMA'ed it, and I just got this one.

I turned it on the first time, and the LEDs in the PSU went on, fans started spinning, but then it all went off for 1 second, then went on again and stayed on. This happens every time I turn it on. The main problem though is that It powers itself off while I'm installing windows randomly. The secondary problem I'm having is that sometimes when I turn it on the keyboard won't work. I've tried 2 working ps2 keyboards and a usb keyboard.

the usb keyboard worked the first time I booted but won't anymore. The first working ps2 keyboard I tried won't work at all. The second working ps2 keyboard worked the first time I tried it, which is the 3rd time overall. but then on the fourth try it would not work. 5th time It did however which was exciting. Who needs windows for pc gaming when you can play this wonderful game on your PC for free?

I monitored the temps in bios, and its around 40c. heatsink is slightly warm, nothing out of the ordinary.

I saw someones post on here on how they got 3 bad DS3s, and I was thinking how it was probably just user error, but now it doesn't seem so farfetched. I've never had such problems with a motherboard before.

I'm going to try and flash the latest bios, but surely the bios that comes with the board can't be that terrible. any insight?

im pretty sure there's a bad batch out there. I just recieved one this tuesday. It booted up first try and installed windows, then it died. I'm never going with Gigabyte anymore, no qc.

>>I saw someones post on here on how they got 3 bad DS3s, and I was thinking how it was probably just user error, but now it doesn't seem so farfetched. I've never had such problems with a motherboard before.

I bought my DS3 from Newegg during the same time this person posted about going through three in a row from Newegg (he smoked the same chip every time). I have had no problems at all with this board, I've been very happy with it.

Definitely better than the DFI boards I'm used to.

yea the guy the above poster is typing about went thru like 3 or 4 ds3's in 5 or 6 weeks, all from newegg. user error highly probable. yours could be bad/weak psu, loose connection, or most likely, a short somewhere. set up your board outside the case. just put it on something non-conductive (not anti stat bag!!), plug in your stuff, fire it up and see if it stays up. if not, swap out your psu.

vanilla_guerilla said:
yea the guy the above poster is typing about went thru like 3 or 4 ds3's in 5 or 6 weeks, all from newegg. user error highly probable. yours could be bad/weak psu, loose connection, or most likely, a short somewhere. set up your board outside the case. just put it on something non-conductive (not anti stat bag!!), plug in your stuff, fire it up and see if it stays up. if not, swap out your psu.

I don't know personally anyone in this thread so this is not specifailly directed at them.

I would have to say i have seen many idiots building there own PC's that don't have a CLUE and they seem to have failed part after failed part and its always the manufactures fault, oh and its always a motherboard fault! lol.

I have installed probably a few dozen DS3's and S3 and NEVER had a failure, am I lucky or perhaps just know what I am doing hmmmm.

Actually adding to this, most resellers will tell you the failure rate of parts sold over the counter is vastly higher than the failure rates of PC's they build themselves, I fail to believe this is luck.

When I see people claiming to get huge amounts of the same defective part over and over all I can wonder is what the REAL bad part is--and I can be pretty sure it's not the mobo.

When something like this happens there should be an alarm that trips in your head and says "hmmm...maybe all the boards are fine and there's something else at play here."

well its strange. because ive built computers since the 90s and ive never experienced something like this. though i bought a lot of asus boards back then, maybe I shouldn't have stopped, as they are still solid boards.

the first ds3 was DOA for sure, no doubt in my mind. I did the simplest test I could which was take the mobo out of the package, plug in the PSU 24 pin and 4 pin, power it on, and watch for that blue led and fan to turn on in the rosewill 550w PSU. nothing. so theres little room for user error there.

now that this second ds3 is getting farther than that with all the same components, its hard to imagine its any other component. :/

damonposey said:
the first ds3 was DOA for sure, no doubt in my mind. I did the simplest test I could which was take the mobo out of the package, plug in the PSU 24 pin and 4 pin, power it on, and watch for that blue led and fan to turn on in the rosewill 550w PSU. nothing. so theres little room for user error there.

IMHO, I would not trust a generic quality Rosewill PSU.
But maybe that's just me. I consider PSU quality to be critical.

Also, did the mobo have a CPU and RAM installed?

The way you said it above, you took the mobo out of the package, plugged in the power, and nothing happened.

So nothing happened and you boxed it up again?

No troubleshooting on it, clear CMOS, etc.?

Spartacus said:

The way you said it above, you took the mobo out of the package, plugged in the power, and nothing happened.

I didn't think of clearing the CMOS because I don't have patience for a bitch of a motherboard that won't power up when it should. thats what it comes down to really. I don't mind troubleshooting, but a motherboard shoudn't require troubleshooting for it to turn on out of the box.

Spartacus said:

I agree...I think the Rosewill is on the "do not buy" list in the ps forum. Only quality "known quantity" psu's for me.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=974240

also yes the DS3's are finicky about the ram in some instances, but there are tons of ppl using this board with outstanding results.

Definitely sounds like a power supply issue, even before I read it was a Rosewill. Shit, it could be killing the mobo.

*update

took all the parts out, put it together on a table and windows installed fine, tried out a game for a while, and everything worked.

put it back in the case, everythings working, getting windows updates right now. so whether its the PSU's fault.. eh still not certain, because when running games there are no hiccups, and that's when the most power is being drawn. guess i'll see what happens as time goes on, but its really solid right now.

I had same thing happen with the DS3 as well... I went Asus P5B vanilla and never looked back...

Battleneter2 said:
I don't know personally anyone in this thread so this is not specifailly directed at them.

I would have to say i have seen many idiots building there own PC's that don't have a CLUE and they seem to have failed part after failed part and its always the manufactures fault, oh and its always a motherboard fault! lol.

I have installed probably a few dozen DS3's and S3 and NEVER had a failure, am I lucky or perhaps just know what I am doing hmmmm.

Actually adding to this, most resellers will tell you the failure rate of parts sold over the counter is vastly higher than the failure rates of PC's they build themselves, I fail to believe this is luck.

I agree. I work on computers for fun, and as a side job. I'm currently starting a repair/building business. I've NEVER had issues with a mobo. then again, I do know what I'm doing, and I don't blow parts accidentally. :D

damonposey said:
*update

took all the parts out, put it together on a table and windows installed fine, tried out a game for a while, and everything worked.

put it back in the case, everythings working, getting windows updates right now. so whether its the PSU's fault.. eh still not certain, because when running games there are no hiccups, and that's when the most power is being drawn. guess i'll see what happens as time goes on, but its really solid right now.

yea i figgered you had a short somewhere. luckily, it prob was some random contact thing, as it worked out of the case and now back in the case. when you get a chance, check out your wiring, there is prob a molex with wire pulled partly out, or some wire lost some insulation.

my ds3 showed outstanding OC results. However,problems are definately starting to arise with the board. and i'm pretty sure it's the mobo because my FSP psu can't be causing these symptoms: Computer runs but everything is slow. what i mean by this is that moving the mouse/opening applications/ shutting down, logging inruns fine but lagggs. My mouse doesn't move across the screen smoothly after I do some cpu intensive task like game or play high res video. Also having problems booting pc like others have-sometimes post just doesn't happen. And sometimes when booting into windows my ms usb keyboard isn't immediately recognized until i plug it back in. I'm about to RMA this board(through newegg). I do wish I went with Asus though. damn.

I have a gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 and a Intel P4 -524-3.0ghz cpu socket 775.
when you boot up cold the fan on the cpu does not spin automatically it starts and
stops for at least 30 seconds and then it continues normally in windows, I know it has
what is called a fan control, but is this normal on a cold boot?

Battleneter2 said:

dude youd be surprised how many people are idiots though. Just take a look on your local highway. So many idiots, you cant count.

But on topic. Im actually ordering a ds3 for a friend to help replace a ASUS P5B. I hope i get one thats not dead.

stain. said:
I agree. I work on computers for fun, and as a side job. I'm currently starting a repair/building business. I've NEVER had issues with a mobo. then again, I do know what I'm doing, and I don't blow parts accidentally. :D

Not to say anything against you, but anyone that has been in this business long enough has seen their fair share of bad mobos. It's not really one manufacturer over another in terms of having more bad boards (unless of course you bring the likes of ECS or PC Chips into the mix).

Some manufacturer's just have poor QC. That's not to say I haven't seen my fair share of people who think they know what they are doing, and then come back when they can't get the PC to boot up because they have forced the RAM in backwards.

For the record, I personally owned 3 bad A8N-SLI motherboards... In a row. I switched my PSU after the first one died, thinking it was that.

I build around 200 desktops and (now) 45 whitebox laptops a year, and have been doing so for the last couple of years.

so, it's possible, that bad boards arn't always user error ;)

thehum said:
my ds3 showed outstanding OC results. However,problems are definately starting to arise with the board. and i'm pretty sure it's the mobo because my FSP psu can't be causing these symptoms: Computer runs but everything is slow. what i mean by this is that moving the mouse/opening applications/ shutting down, logging inruns fine but lagggs. My mouse doesn't move across the screen smoothly after I do some cpu intensive task like game or play high res video. Also having problems booting pc like others have-sometimes post just doesn't happen. And sometimes when booting into windows my ms usb keyboard isn't immediately recognized until i plug it back in. I'm about to RMA this board(through newegg). I do wish I went with Asus though. damn.

Typical symptoms of OC too high. Try running stock settings and see if it clears up.

It could also be a virus/spyware, etc.

I don't think any of what you are seeing is a hardware problem. The exception to that is the USB keyboard issue. But I still don't think that's a "bad mobo" issue. I've seen USB keyboards have problems on top name brand new systems. That's why I use only PS/2 keyboards, no compatibility problems.

If you can't find the problem, setup for stock speed, backup your data, and re-install Windows (and use a PS/2 keyboard). Then I bet the problem will be gone.

You can't just determine it must be a bad mobo on every little problem you run into. Most of the time, these little problems have a simple cause that can be fixed without replacing any parts at all.

Back