side notes on my 5900nu<5950ultra BIOS FLASH

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
Some side notes on my 5900nu<5950ultra BIOS FLASH

Just flashed my BFG 5900nu BIOS to a LeadTek A380U BIOS, (or 5950 ultra)….Success!

BIOS Used: LeadTek A280U BIOS for there 5950ultra
Here

Stock 5900nu with 2.2ns
BIOS - 1.1v
2D - 1.2v
3D – 1.4v
*the memory, because it is the same memory that the 5950 ultra have is running slower that it’s theoretical limit, but supposedly it is running tighter timings than the two ultras.
*FYI: I was running my 5900nu (before BIOS mod) at 1.63v GPU core and I settled down at 600MHz core, and 1000 MHz memory, any more than that is where I saw the performance stop growth and the problems to start

Flashed 5900nu 2.2ns
BIOS - 1.1v
2D - 1.2v
3D – 1.6v
*before I flashed it I turned my variable resistors all they way up, for the non voltmoders, this means I applied 0 extra volts to the GPU, like the voltmods were no even there.
*Again, in theory it now has more relaxed timings, so one can assume once I reapply the 2.82v to my memory, I will be able to hit a higher clock on memory.
*It now has a BIOS boot screen that says Leadtek blaaaa blaaaa blaaa….then my POST comes up.
* It defaulted me to 475/950, no problems. From there I jumped right to 550/1000 and to my surprise, it worked just fine. It ran one aquamark and one 3dmark.

Tonight after work I’m going to apply a tad more voltage to the core, about .03-.04v and see if I can hit 600 core again, I’m assuming I can, since it did before. I will also bring my memory back to 2.82 and she what it can do now with relaxed timings.

Now if I can just solider the 128Mb of memory from my dead 5900nu onto the backside of my current on, ill be all set with a 200 dollar 5950 ultra

Very interesting. My BFG 5900nu pretty much topped out at 451/950, any higher and random weirdness. I wonder if the extra voltage from the BIOS flash would allow more core speed? Would probably run hotter too I guess.

Mine dosnt run any hotter...but im water cooled

Alot fo people are flashing there card with the stock cooler.

Yeah I was just reading that thread at NV. I'm not too good at the DOS stuff, could you please explain exactly what to do, I didn't really understand that guys method.

Simple.

1. Create a boot disk (a bootable floppy with system files)
-My computer->Right click on Drive A->Format->Create an MS-DOS startup disk
2. After that's done, download the latest NVFlash utility from http://www.nvplanet.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=10 and extract it to your floppy
3. Download FX 5950 BIOS you want to flash (best would be the same brand as your current card)
4. Backup your BIOS with NVIDIA Bios Editor (from Guru3D)
5. Copy the new BIOS (rom file) to your floppy
7. Reboot (make sure your first boot device is set to floppy)
8. ...command prompt :)
9. If you didn't back it up do it now, type: nvflash -b orgbios.rom
10. To flash your BIOS, type: nvflash -f newbios.rom -u -p

You're done.

Originally posted by volt
Simple.

1. Create a boot disk (a bootable floppy with system files)
-My computer->Right click on Drive A->Format->Create an MS-DOS startup disk
2. After that's done, download the latest NVFlash utility from http://www.nvplanet.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=10 and extract it to your floppy
3. Download FX 5950 BIOS you want to flash (best would be the same brand as your current card)
4. Backup your BIOS with NVIDIA Bios Editor (from Guru3D)
5. Copy the new BIOS (rom file) to your floppy
7. Reboot (make sure your first boot device is set to floppy)
8. ...command prompt :)
9. If you didn't back it up do it now, type: nvflash -b orgbios.rom
10. To flash your BIOS, type: nvflash -f newbios.rom -u -p

You're done.

volt, question for you, or I(illa Bee:

I've never used the nVidia Bios Editor, but step 9 (above) does the same thing (nvflash -b orgbios.rom)? And that will save the original BFG 5900nu bios to the floppy?

I'm tempted to do this, but worried about being able to get the original BFG bios back on the card should warranty work be needed down the road.

some questions:

the bios flash increased the 3D voltage of the card up from 1.4v to 1.6?

and what was the mem voltage? did the bios flash increase it?

and i currently have a Abit 5900nu second hand card bought for $179(holding on till i get the radeon 9800 back, i killed my previous 9800:(). what bios do u ppl think i should use? leadtek? gainward?

thnx guys

It incresed only the Vcore voltage, it left the memory alone, inorder for it to raise the memory with stability i think it relaxed the timmings.

Did this a few days ago now, got much better overclocks due to the increase in voltage the new BIOS gave me, but i noticed the flicker problem back, i need to use the ASUS drivers (my card make) other wise i get slight flickering. PRoblem is the ASUS drivers dont install unless you have an ASUS card in, which the BIOS changes if i use LeadTek or whatever.

So Im looking for a **ASUS** FX 5950 Ultra BIOS, anyone that has this exact card can make a copy of their BIOS with X-BIOS which you can download at www.guru3d.com

Anyone that can help please contact me

[email protected]

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
Did this a few days ago now, got much better overclocks due to the increase in voltage the new BIOS gave me, but i noticed the flicker problem back, i need to use the ASUS drivers (my card make) other wise i get slight flickering. PRoblem is the ASUS drivers dont install unless you have an ASUS card in, which the BIOS changes if i use LeadTek or whatever.

So Im looking for a **ASUS** FX 5950 Ultra BIOS, anyone that has this exact card can make a copy of their BIOS with X-BIOS which you can download at www.guru3d.com

Anyone that can help please contact me

[email protected]

Or you can just use the X-BIOS editor, edit the BIOS file and then change the PCI Sub vendor to 1043 which is Asustek computer Inc.

Originally posted by Princess_Frosty
Oh didnt know you could edit the BIOS from in windows, thanks.

Well, you have to actually edit the A380U.rom file with X-BIOS editor and do the changes on the file. Then flash the video card with that BIOS.

After I flashed my bfg 5900nu with the 5950 leadtek bios my temp readings went down. before the flash it would idle at about 42 and at full load it would get up to 56. Now is shows 33 at idle and 49 at load. Any Ideas as to why they are different?. I would expect them to be higher with the increased vcore.

thanks

how do I backup my current BIOS ROM, just incase something goes wrong? Also whats the latest version of X-BIOS. Cause BFG Is not listed under sub vendors...

Originally posted by ÜberModder
how do I backup my current BIOS ROM, just incase something goes wrong? Also whats the latest version of X-BIOS. Cause BFG Is not listed under sub vendors...

Use X-BIOS. Newest is 1.0.3.520. I recon 5950 wasn't out back then. Don't worry about your vendor not being listed. Just click on the arrow next to Open -> Read and save to file.

:)

umm i got a lil problem here

the thing is, the bios flash makes the card clocked at 950mhz memory, and my mem cant go that far. It only goes upto 930 i think at max.

so the thing is that its fine for me i just use coolbits, but if i want to sell this card afterwards as a 128MB DDR FX5950 with the leadtek 5950 bios, i have to make this bios flash the card with the mem clocked at 850 (i cant explain that guy about coolbits:eek: ) or 900mhz, not 950. i never used this X-BIOS before, can it be done? like i flash the bios, then i edit the bios to make the mem clock 900mhz, and then flash it again?

thnx

the card is probely going to have the same selling value asa 5900nu, people will know whenb they see 128 that isa moded 5900nu, not a true 5950 ultra, if you go to sell it just flash back to the orignal BIOS, or USE XBIOS to set the 5950 bios to 900memory or 850..

I flashed my BFG 5900U 256mb to the Leadtek 5950 with no problems. Since I have a 256mb card there is no way to tell that it is modded unless you know what you are looking for.
I rsuggest making sure you card can run at 5950 speeds before you flash.

I have a Pny 5900nu. My problem is also with the memory. Mine wont go over 930mhz but, the xbios program has the memory adjustments greyed out. Is there any other way to lower the memory in the bios?

I tried chainging the Sub vendor to ASUStek (used the same code as my origional bios) but that didnt work, the drivers still dont detect and asus card.

Theres a subvendor ID which obviously represents what card it is exactly but i dont know the Asus FX 5950 one, again the FX 5900 doesnt work Obviously the device ID needs to be compatable with the sub vendor ID, one cant read FX5900 Ultra and the other one read Asus 5950.

As i said before i NEED the Asus specific drivers to sort out the flicker problem and the wont install unless an Asus card is detected.

So either i need the sub vendor ID or i just need a copy of the Asus FX 5950 Ultra. If anyone has this card can you please contact me, thanks.

*EDIT*

the Asus 5950 Ultra sub vendor ID isnt listed in X-BIOS

Anyone know wehre the original thread went?

:(

Still no BFG 5950 Bios huh? Damn. :mad:

This is the email i got back fomr BFG

"Hello Scott,

Thank You for contacting BFG online support.

We do not support any bios flashing which is why the flash utilities are not
availalbe on our website. Is there a problem you are having with your 5950
card that we may be able to help you out with?

Thanks,
Tony B.
BFG Technical Support"

lol...

"No, I just want to flash my 5900 NU to a 5950. :D"

Seriously, for the person that has one and is holding back, your a mean sob! :D Come one. It's not risky to get a copy of a file from your video card.

im a little confused....what do you mean by your whole post?

BTW: i allready flashed mine, i would just like to use a BFG BIOS instead of a leadtek one

I wasn't referring to you. I was just posting a reply you could have had to BFG tech support.

Btw...im not calling you an SOB either. :) I would like the BFG 5950 Bios as well. Any idea why no one has posted it yet?

Has anyone bought this card?:eek:

from what I have read, BFG cards have something somewhere in the card that does not let its BiOS be read from memory..

I have a Gainward 5900NU and it flashed fine with the 5950 Gainward bios. I ended up with about a 40mhz core increase and 40 or so on the memory. 3dmark scores were rather dissapointing with only about a 100 point increase.

Along with this, I had some rather annoying "flickering" in some games that couldn't be fixed. I ended up just flashing back to non-ultra.

For those who need to backup, it's easy... boot disc etc and just:
nvflash -b backup.rom

Yea, i get the flickering in raven shield.....but i didnt before, im going to try the gainward BIOS, and if that dosnt work, then back to the orignal BIOS for me....

I saw no clock incress, as my votages were allready higher than the 5950ultra's anyways

Hey KillaBee,

Why is it that I can't OC my video card past say 480/890 or along those lines? I have sufficient cooling. Coolbits makes you "Test" the settings first but when they are above those numbers or near them, it wont let me OC. :(

It's a BFG so it should OC well.:(

Are all BFG5900 nu cards 2.2ns? I bought mine from fry's and it didnt' come with COD. :( Very odd.

Originally posted by vbp6us
Hey KillaBee,

Why is it that I can't OC my video card past say 480/890 or along those lines? I have sufficient cooling. Coolbits makes you "Test" the settings first but when they are above those numbers or near them, it wont let me OC. :(

Are all BFG5900 nu cards 2.2ns? I bought mine from fry's and it didnt' come with COD. :( Very odd.

Just a suggestion: When OCing my brother-in-laws new Gainward 5900nu, we had to adjust his CPU OC timings in order to get the Gainward card to go high. Everything worked out great, got his 5900nu up to 525/1000 stable, and got his P4 2.4C back up to 3.0 Ghz.

Originally posted by vbp6us
Hey KillaBee,

Good point Badger,

Set your self to something you know is 100% stabel (if your AMD can do 2.5Ghz set it two 2.2Ghz) then go run the atuo test a few times,when it auto detets a good one for you go up 1 MHZ at a time. Run the test, if it passes, click apply the keep going.

When you click apply, if it fails the next one it will only drop 1 Mhz.

Plus an un voltmoded card will only do about 480-510 anyway...my first BFG 5900nu did 510 out of the box no mods, my current BFG 5900nu only did 487 out of the box, but both toped out about the same with a voltmod..

I would do a Voltmod but there are certain things holding me back.

Firstly, the warranty. Obviously, im going to lose my warranty with BFG. Secondly, failure rate. Im afraid i'll mess it up. Thirdly, will this mod or OCing for that matter really help me out in games?

I just did an Auto Detect and it says the highest i can go is:

449/948. What are those speeds equivelant to? Are those good OC's for stock fan and minimal case cooling?

well thos are just about 5900ultra speeds,

And im real gameplay yes have you card at 550 (give or take) and 950+ memroy dose help...I cant run AF in raven at playebel framrates without my overclock....

for stock cooling an a case with minium cooling that is fine....you dont want to volt mod unless you modify the cooling. My theroy with warrenty is this, Make your own. Save up the money that i would cost you to replace the card (so 200 bucks) the do all you research, read read read, the do it, and if you sugesfull spend the money on something eles, if not get a new card...

That the best warrenty iv ever seen. My personal replacement plan... :)

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
Good point Badger,

Set your self to something you know is 100% stabel (if your AMD can do 2.5Ghz set it two 2.2Ghz) then go run the atuo test a few times,when it auto detets a good one for you go up 1 MHZ at a time. Run the test, if it passes, click apply the keep going.

When you click apply, if it fails the next one it will only drop 1 Mhz.

Plus an un voltmoded card will only do about 480-510 anyway...my first BFG 5900nu did 510 out of the box no mods, my current BFG 5900nu only did 487 out of the box, but both toped out about the same with a voltmod..

That's partially what I meant. What I also meant was that unless you lock the AGP bus in the bios, or set the correct timing (5:4, 4:3, 3:4, 1:1, whatever), when the front side bus is increased to OC the cpu, the AGP bus also increases. Most motherboards that OC will have an option to lock the AGP bus so it doesn't increase. This is what caused the problem for me, until I locked it. The vid card couldn't take a big OC when the AGP bus was also OCed.

Back