Side mount rack

I'm looking at JBOD hotswap enclosures and 99% of them are rack form factor. All my servers are tower form factor and not getting replaced soon, so I don't really want to put in a rack just for 3U or 4U of need.

I was wondering if anyone had seen a rack that is rotated 90 degrees from the typical horizontal way so I can put in a rackmount chassis on its side and still use rack rails.

What?

I dont understand....you dont want to put in a rack yet you want to use rack rails?

Also what are you really trying to do? SAN, DAS or just add disks to some servers?

I'm looking at JBOD hotswap enclosures and 99% of them are rack form factor. All my servers are tower form factor and not getting replaced soon, so I don't really want to put in a rack just for 3U or 4U of need.

I was wondering if anyone had seen a rack that is rotated 90 degrees from the typical horizontal way so I can put in a rackmount chassis on its side and still use rack rails.

Just stick the server on its side, there is no problem with doing this.

DSC00479.jpg

(From sonofander's post in the storage showoff thread)

I don't see any major problems by doing what you described...for the Norco 4020, IIRC, you can remove the handles so it'll be neatly stacked on its side for compact storage. :D

That's what I did with mine, pulled the handles and set it on it's side.

I'm looking at the SuperMicro cases with the SAS expander built in. They don't appear to have a flat side like the Norcos. This is why I would have to use rack rails.

Back