• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Side Fan vs No Side Fan

Side vs No Side Fan

  • Yes, a side fan will improve cooling.

    Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No, you can achieve the same results without a side fan.

    Votes: 7 35.0%

  • Total voters
    20
  • Poll closed .

WorldExclusive

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Apr 26, 2009
Messages
11,556
I'm getting closer to completing my PC build, but I would like to buy a window panel for my CM Storm Sniper. I really want to know if I would benefit more for keeping my side fan or just buy the window panel. Since the build is not complete, I'm unable to test the airflow and I don't know when CM are going to end the sale on their windowed panels.

This has a lot to do with positive and negative air pressure. I'm also using the Corsair H50, so this makes airflow even more complicated. If I add or remove certain fans, I may achieve the same cooling results without a side fan. I know that the HAF 932 benefits greatly from a side fan, but in other cases the side fan interferes with the natural front to back airflow.

I'm thinking:
(Front, Side) Intake (Top, Rear) Exhaust
or
(Front, Bottom) Intake (Top, Rear) Exhaust (Window)

Suggestions, advice, comparisons?

http://icrontic.com/articles/pc_airflow_heat_cooling_guide
 
As long as you have enough intake and exhaust you should be fine either way IMO. I dont really know what you mean by the bottom being an intake though? Where would you go about adding that? If you mean right on the bottom panel of the case make sure you have enough space with large legs as standoffs to allow airflow to it.

I like the side fan on my Lian Li as it pulls air out from around the video card, but it really just depends on your case/layout.
 
As long as you have enough intake and exhaust you should be fine either way IMO. I dont really know what you mean by the bottom being an intake though? Where would you go about adding that? If you mean right on the bottom panel of the case make sure you have enough space with large legs as standoffs to allow airflow to it.

I like the side fan on my Lian Li as it pulls air out from around the video card, but it really just depends on your case/layout.

Yes I have plenty room under the case for a bottom fan. The Sniper has a fan bracket for one.

So you use the side fan as exhaust?
 
i've got a thermaltake armor, and i notice no/very little temp difference whether the 250mm fan is on or off
 
In my case I use side intakes because my case has rather poor front intake. I've tested it without side intake and with side exhaust. My temps are lowest with side intake
 
Yes I have plenty room under the case for a bottom fan. The Sniper has a fan bracket for one.

So you use the side fan as exhaust?

Yup, but it also only has an 80mm for exhaust on the rear.

I actually do not use the top fan either. I have a 120mm and 80mm in the front as intakes and 80mm in the back and 120mm on the side as exhaust. Plus the PSU acts as an exhaust as well.

But every case is different.
 
Back
Top