Shuttle SZ77R5 Review

You could probably put your own mount points in no? Or would the IO shield ports and pci slots not line up either?

You probably could, but since you can't use the ICE cooling, the hard drive cage will get in the way of any normal cooler. It just doesn't make any sense, you can get Lian Li or Silverstone that's a tad bit bigger and put a full size PSU in it.

You probably could, but since you can't use the ICE cooling, the hard drive cage will get in the way of any normal cooler. It just doesn't make any sense, you can get Lian Li or Silverstone that's a tad bit bigger and put a full size PSU in it.

This model and all current R5 chasis are supposed to be itx standard now so you can put in a standard itx mobo of your own choosing. At least that is what Shuttle is claiming. Are you sure you have your info correct? Also if I were to use other than the Shuttle mobo I would use the Asetek 545LC 90mm unit because that is known to work fine in the R5 chasis. Works better than the stock ICE unit in fact according to user and reviewer tests. It is sold via ebay.

Yeah I would definitely put in a Antec 620 or other variant in order to get the best cooling in such a small case.

This model and all current R5 chasis are supposed to be itx standard now so you can put in a standard itx mobo of your own choosing. At least that is what Shuttle is claiming. Are you sure you have your info correct? Also if I were to use other than the Shuttle mobo I would use the Asetek 545LC 90mm unit because that is known to work fine in the R5 chasis. Works better than the stock ICE unit in fact according to user and reviewer tests. It is sold via ebay.

If the latest chassis have been designed to support mITX then go for it. Just giving up a ton to get into a shuttle chassis. Which power supply does it come with, the PC63J? IIRC that doesn't have a 24 pin connector, so either buy an adaptor or make sure your mb will boot with a 20 pin.

I'm selling my modded cover from my SZ68R5(as well as my PC63J 500W power supply) HERE. It will fit your SZ77R5 also. Lower them temps! ;)
IMG_3125.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

Anyone run into an issue where with UEFI boot and a GPT partition its an extremely slow boot into Windows 7?

EDIT: Fixed with a bios flash.

Last edited:
I don't have a window on the side or anything, so it would just be a picture of it installed with the case off. It fits with plenty of room though.

Please, I'm still a month off with my Shuttle and Titan, a nice high res picture to set as my desktop for inspiration. I've got the CPU, RAM and SATA cables already (specific ones that are just the right length for my friends Shuttle i put together). Next the HDD, the actual Shuttle and the Titan.

I will be picking my SZ77R5 up on Friday. My friend got the Titan for his SZ77R5:
Titan_zps3d0990db.jpg

Back